Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Anniversary of husband’s death

(30 Posts)
SusieB50 Fri 31-Dec-21 11:42:07

Two years ago today my DH died peacefully at home after being diagnosed with terminal cancer of the bile ducts, pancreas and liver . He had a short but severe illness , but he was able to see all family and spend his last days at home.
I really am grateful for those last few weeks and wonder how different it would have been if it had been last year or this year .
It has not been an easy time to cope with the loss of DH after nearly 50 years of marriage, but I can’t imagine how awful it must have been for all those dying over the pandemic .
Tonight I will be alone ( my choice) and will raise a glass to DH and listen to a play list I found the other day on his iPad entitled -especially for “SusieB”-
I will shed tears but also be grateful he had a “good death”’
I hope 2022 will allow me to spread my wings a bit more and perhaps find new interests and see friends old and new . It has been a strange two years but perhaps in a way a more gentle period of grieving allowing me to gradually come to terms with my new life .
My thoughts are with all of you who has experienced a death of a loved one this year .

Hiraeth Mon 03-Jan-22 15:28:27

Hi SusieB,
I feel with you. After 7 years it still hurts . My husband died of pancreatic cancer after a very short Illness. I was grateful that he passed away at home and said he’d had a good life . Beautiful. Memories that I’m very grateful for . To love and be loved is very special .

Luckygirl3 Mon 03-Jan-22 15:34:17

Enjoy the music SusieB50 - a lovely gift to treasure.

Yammy Mon 03-Jan-22 16:23:55

Warm wishes to those who are starting a new life in 2022 without DH or close relatives. Or have sad memories at this time of year when loved ones have passed away in other years and have to cope every Christmas and New Year without them.flowers

mastanikhan258 Tue 12-Apr-22 09:00:47

Please accept my utter heartfelt condolences on this anniversary. Since the day your loved one passed, many years have gone by, but just know that they have always been with you and will forever be at your side. I am thinking of you and praying for you today as you remember the death of your [husband]

Mention their loved one's name, and let your friend know that you're thinking of both of them. It could be as simple as a text that says, “Hey, I know today is one year since [name] died. I just want you to know I'm thinking of you. [S]he was a really special person who left an amazing legacy.