Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mother of the Groom outfit woes

(42 Posts)
Tinacarol Sat 13-Apr-24 08:04:59

Hi everyone. I'm getting myself in such a flap as the dress I have bought for my son's wedding was 'cheap' and although I feel great in it, I can't help feeling that I won't look sophisticated enough. I know it looks lovely on but I'm having sleepless nights knowing other ladies pay hundreds for these occasions. I've added some photos, I have the navy one. I will be wearing nude and rose gold accessories. Please help put my mind at rest 😊

Gardenersdelight Sat 13-Apr-24 08:09:25

If you feel happy and comfortable wear it
I wore charity shop bargains to both my daughters weddings and the grooms mum both spent a fortune. I was happy with my choices

Astitchintime Sat 13-Apr-24 08:12:56

Well, this 'other lady' didn't pay hundreds for the wedding outfit for my AC wedding, nor did the other mother - we both chose something we liked and felt comfortable in, pretty much as you have. Although we didn't go shopping for outfits together we did know what colour the other was preferring and took it from there.

Have you liaised with the Mother of the Bride?

J52 Sat 13-Apr-24 08:17:23

What style of wedding is it? It looks like the dress is made of cotton with frayed layers. ( deliberate I know)
If your having doubts I’d look for something else, there are lots of shops having on line sales at the moment.

Joseann Sat 13-Apr-24 08:18:26

The navy one looks far nicer than the lighter one. It needs some carefully chosen shoes, and maybe a jacket pashmina/scarf for the formal bit of the wedding.
It matters not the price if you like it.

downtoearth Sat 13-Apr-24 08:22:27

I like the Navy one,nude,and rose gold sounds lovely with navy.
Relax and enjoy your day.

Visgir1 Sat 13-Apr-24 08:24:12

This lady did spend several hundreds, but has never worn the outfit again. Still sitting in its dress bag. I even had it bespoke made from a well know local designer, but my advise..
Go with what you are comfortable in, don't look at the price. If you feel good that's perfect.
Everyone will be looking at the happy couple.
Just enjoy the day and don't worry.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-Apr-24 08:29:57

Go for comfort, the navy one looks fab!

Susan56 Sat 13-Apr-24 08:56:18

I think the navy one looks lovely!

Esmay Sat 13-Apr-24 09:05:12

Another vote for the navy one .
I think that the paler one is too light
for a wedding .
If you are really in a panic - have a look on eBay for a preloved outfit at a bargain price .
Think Veni Infantini !
Whenever , I have an important social event coming up : I also have a blind panic over it .
I think that so many women do !
Otherwise , wear the navy and just enjoy your day .
Rest assured : most women there would have had the same doubts !
Drink up with them and have a good laugh over it !

Tinacarol Sat 13-Apr-24 09:05:48

Sadly she passed away but the bride has given her approval which should be the end if it. I think its just because I'm out of my comfort zone. 😊

Tinacarol Sat 13-Apr-24 09:08:07

Its shredded silk. The wedding is an infusion of English and Chinese so its a little different to the 'norm'.

aggie Sat 13-Apr-24 09:14:51

I think the dress is lovely , just right for the wedding

Llamas99 Sat 13-Apr-24 09:17:47

I love that dress! Very soft, perfect for a wedding. Which color do you prefer?

zakouma66 Sat 13-Apr-24 09:21:21

I suppose you need something that covers all bases ( pardon the pun). Is it comfortable? Will it crease? Does it fit?

If uncertainties remain, how about an appointment with a personal stylist, which is free?

Mizuna Sat 13-Apr-24 09:23:41

I think the navy dress is lovely. It looks like it will move beautifully too.

NotAGran55 Sat 13-Apr-24 09:33:19

If navy suits you (we can’t see your face) and you feel great then relax, wear it and enjoy yourself.

As long as the bride approves that’s the main thing.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 13-Apr-24 09:46:50

The important thing is that you are not sufficiently happy with the dress for this occasion, and I don’t think anything said here will change that. We can only see the dress, not you wearing it. It will be a long day and the fabric will crease badly I think; personally that alone would make me very uncomfortable and self-conscious. My advice would be to look for something that you are comfortable with and which will withstand the day without crumpling too much. It doesn’t have to be new. Have you looked at eBay? There are great bargains to be had, outfits originally costing hundreds and only worn once.

J52 Sat 13-Apr-24 09:50:51

Tinacarol

Its shredded silk. The wedding is an infusion of English and Chinese so its a little different to the 'norm'.

In that case it does sound appropriate, as silk is a Chinese textile.
Have you tried it on with all your accessories.
I didn’t really care for my MOG outfit, the bride dictated the colour and there was little choice in the shops.
I paid a lot, but sold it afterwards.
Enjoy the day.

Calendargirl Sat 13-Apr-24 09:52:51

You obviously liked it enough and felt good wearing it to buy it in the first place. What has given you doubts? Have other people said how much they paid for their MOTG outfits and given you a complex that yours is too cheap?

You’re the only one who knows how you feel about it all.

The thing about weddings, the clothes, the ceremony, the photos, the reception…it all seems such a big (and expensive) deal at the time, and honestly, in the great scheme of things, does it all matter?

Callistemon21 Sat 13-Apr-24 09:55:12

Tinacarol

So a classic "British" style might look out of place.

You could dress it up with a jacket or take a pashmina to be more casual.

I wore a dress and skirt (quite expensive but understated) when I was mother of the groom, plus a short, inexpensive jacket from M&S. It looked far more expensive than it was.

Louella12 Sat 13-Apr-24 09:56:45

I like the navy. Perfect 👌

My dress for my daughter's wedding came from Monsoon. It was only about £90 and was lovely.

OldFrill Sat 13-Apr-24 10:00:19

I think it's lovely, l wore a not dissimilar navy dress as a bride and yours is more expensive! I've looked at the website and like a lot of their clothes.
Being shredded silk it won't wrinkle and shouldn't be too hot/too cold. As the bride approves you've nailed it.
Enjoy the wedding 🍾

Yiayia4 Sat 13-Apr-24 10:03:07

Love the navy and pink would go well with it.

pascal30 Sat 13-Apr-24 10:07:59

If the bride approves why not trust that.. it will certainly be good for shimmying when the dancing starts..