Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mattress causing back pain - or is it me getting old?? Advice please.

(41 Posts)
PinkCosmos Fri 12-Apr-24 14:50:43

For the last couple of months I have been waking up with awful lower back pain and pain in my right hip. I am also waking up with the pain during the night. My DH is also complaining about hip pain upon waking.

The pain mostly goes away after I have been up a few hours. I have been doing exercises for back pain and sciatica

Neither of us have ever had back or hip problems in the past. If I am out gardening my lower back will ache the day after but that is about all.

I am 66 so I am wondering whether this is just old age or whether it is partly down to the mattress.

Our current mattress is a Silentnight Pocket Luxury 2800. We bought it in October 2019 so it is only 4 1/2 years old. I thought you had to replace your mattress every 8 years.

Prior to buying this mattress we tried one of the Simba/Emma mattresses. It was terrible. We sent it back as it was on a 1200 day trial.

I am happy to pay decent money for a new mattress if it is this that is the main problem. Or would I be wasting my money.

Has anyone had a similar experience and what did you do to resolve it?

Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks

Suspiros Fri 12-Apr-24 14:56:27

I had exactly your problem. I bought a Panda bamboo mattress topper and it is wonderful. No more sore hips!

DamaskRose Fri 12-Apr-24 15:00:46

I sleep on my back and wake up every morning with back pain. I have to have 10 or so minutes on my side before I get up. I’m also wakened during the night sometimes. On holiday last year I realised that I woke up with no pain. Unfortunately I don’t know what the mattress was but was considering a Simba/Emma one so thanks for review! I’m a few years older than you but I do think it’s the mattress (my current one cost over a thousand pounds and I’d happily pay that again to be pain free) rather than old age. I wish I could be more helpful re the name of the mattress, I may be going back to the same place this year and if so I’ll let you know!

MissAdventure Fri 12-Apr-24 15:03:03

Some people find that a pillow between their knees aligns their hips properly, and helps with aches and pains.

Why not try a mattress topper, first?

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 12-Apr-24 15:20:34

Yep mattress toppers here as well and our beds were very expensive, hand made efforts.

Our ACs don’t have any problems with them though.

shysal Fri 12-Apr-24 15:24:03

I had the same problem and bought a Dormeo Octaspring zoned topper. With that and the free pillow included I have no more hip pain, sore ears or neck ache!
www.dormeo.co.uk/mattress-toppers/octaspring-mattress-toppers

PinkCosmos Fri 12-Apr-24 15:47:21

Thank you for your replies.

We did have a Panda mattress topper on our previous mattress. I had forgotten about that.

I think it is in the loft. I hope I didn't take it to the tip!! I will have a look for it tomorrow and put it back on the bed when I have aired it a bit.

It's just difficult with the sheets as they tend to flirt off as they are not deep enough, especially as the mattress is already deep. The fitted sheets are the deepest ones I could find. I might have a couple of flat sheets I could use.

I was looking at the Hypnos mattresses recently. They have them in all of the Premier Inns. I haven't stayed in one but they must be OK as Premier Inns get good reviews about their comfy beds.

PinkCosmos Fri 12-Apr-24 15:52:47

Damask Rose - if you do go back to the comfy bed, please let me know the details.

Re. the Emma/Simba beds. They are basically just foam. IMO any mattress that can be rolled up and delivered in a tall slim box is not going to have any support at all.

We had one on a 100 (not 1200!) day trial. I rang them to say it didn't suit us as it was too soft. They offered us a mattress topper to firm it up! Needless to say, we sent it back anyway. It was about £500, which is a lot of money for a piece of foam. It might be OK for younger people but not so much for us older ones.

karmalady Fri 12-Apr-24 15:57:05

Pink Cosmos, if you are a side sleeper then it could well be that your body is not in alignment. A body pillow would help greatly, you put one leg below and one above and same with arms. However they are quite big

Try a pillow between your legs for now if side sleeping

I had lower back pain with hip pain and bought a body pillow. It did the trick after only a few days plus I did pilates`type exercises to strengthen my core, the muscles which support the spine.

Don`t despair, these things can well be temporary and can be fixed. I have a hypnos which is now 8 years old. It was not the mattress, just my muscles becoming weaker with age

Casdon Fri 12-Apr-24 16:03:22

PinkCosmos

*Damask Rose* - if you do go back to the comfy bed, please let me know the details.

Re. the Emma/Simba beds. They are basically just foam. IMO any mattress that can be rolled up and delivered in a tall slim box is not going to have any support at all.

We had one on a 100 (not 1200!) day trial. I rang them to say it didn't suit us as it was too soft. They offered us a mattress topper to firm it up! Needless to say, we sent it back anyway. It was about £500, which is a lot of money for a piece of foam. It might be OK for younger people but not so much for us older ones.

Other than one basic foam mattress at the bottom of the range, Simba mattresses aren’t just foam. They are foam top levels with springs underneath, and I found it really comfortable and supportive. That’s what I’m having next time. My son has an Emma, which is nowhere near as good in my opinion.

cc Fri 12-Apr-24 16:05:55

I have just the same problems as the OP and am now propping one knee up on a cushion (I’m a side sleeper) which seems to help most nights. My joint pain started when I started taking statins, though I have also put on weight which probably doesn’t help. I’m away from home at the moment and hoping that a different mattress might make a difference.

Moonwatcher1904 Fri 12-Apr-24 16:23:36

I suffer the same as PinkCosmos. We bought a lovely firm, deep mattress (not a cheap one either) but after a while the back and hip pain came back. I went to see my GP and he said it was to do with the fact I need a knee replacement. I won't hold my breath on that one. He put me on some very strong pain killers but I only take them if absolutely necessary before I go to bed. I can't sleep on my back only on my side but couldn't do with a cushion or pillow between my knees.
cc I also take statins and now on 30mg Pravastatin and now and old muscle injury in my shoulder has reared it's head. I'm hoping to see my GP soon to see if I can get another injection.
I've wonder if a mattress topper will help.

Salti Fri 12-Apr-24 16:24:57

I can't remember what our last mattress was but it was about 6 years old and I was waking up with backache. I went to a local mattress shop and tried out lots and talked to the owner. I ordered one. I have only just realised that since I got it two weeks ago I have been totally pain free.
This is the one I bought.

PinkCosmos Fri 12-Apr-24 16:37:07

Casdon - I take it back. I have just seen this on the Simba website. I assumed Simba and Emma were the same kind of mattress.

^Experience gravity defying comfort on the SIMBA titanium alloy Aerocoil® spring layer.

These tiny cones of comfort are the key to our incredible, upper comfort layer; they’re our pride and joy. They’re smaller and slimmer than the typical, rather tall and bulky bed spring, because they’re made from titanium alloy; using this magic metal means even a micro size (25mm high with a thickness gauge of 0.9mm, which is the size of a very thin paperclip) gives you the support you need, but being so small and fine you won’t feel a single one^

Callistemon21 Fri 12-Apr-24 16:50:44

PinkCosmos

Thank you for your replies.

We did have a Panda mattress topper on our previous mattress. I had forgotten about that.

I think it is in the loft. I hope I didn't take it to the tip!! I will have a look for it tomorrow and put it back on the bed when I have aired it a bit.

It's just difficult with the sheets as they tend to flirt off as they are not deep enough, especially as the mattress is already deep. The fitted sheets are the deepest ones I could find. I might have a couple of flat sheets I could use.

I was looking at the Hypnos mattresses recently. They have them in all of the Premier Inns. I haven't stayed in one but they must be OK as Premier Inns get good reviews about their comfy beds.

We bought a Hypnos bed last year and so far we're very pleased with it.
Apparently Premier Inns don't buy them any more, they are very expensive.

Unless your mattress is soft I would have thought it would be fine. Our last (nearly new) mattress was too soft as we were missold it.

Dunelm do extra deep bottom sheets, 38cms, but they are available even deeper than that. You'll need to measure with the mattress topper on as well of course 🙂

grandtanteJE65 Fri 12-Apr-24 17:04:56

The fact that both you and your husband are waking up with back-ache leads me to suspect the mattress is at fault, or partly so.

I think it depends on the mattress when it needs to be renewed, but mattresses and backs are complicated.

Some of us need a firm mattress, others a softer one, and the weight of the couple sleeping on the mattress can contribute to how quickly it wears out.

Back-ache does tend to occur as we age, but it would be silly just to accept this.

Ask your husband to keep an eye on your posture, and you keep an eye on his - some of us develop bad habits, such as slouching, not holding our heads up properly, rounding shoulders etc. etc.

Start by turning your mattress if it is the kind that can be turned and see if that helps.

Close a door firmly and stand with your back to it, heels touching the door and the back of your head touching it too.

Where are your shoulders - if they are in contact with the door too, your posture is good, If they are not, or if you find it hard to straighten your neck, now is the time to consult a doctor, a physiotherapist, an Alexander paedagogue or a chiropractor.

Don't just accept the thought that you are growing older - there might be something that could be remedied now, but will get worse if you ignore it.

Primrose53 Fri 12-Apr-24 17:11:18

Don’t know if anybody has noticed but nearly all mattresses in stores now have a built in topper as standard. We bought a new mattress about 9 months ago and just about every make has this. Like a thinner version of main mattress, same fabric etc.

Freya5 Fri 12-Apr-24 17:42:51

shysal

I had the same problem and bought a Dormeo Octaspring zoned topper. With that and the free pillow included I have no more hip pain, sore ears or neck ache!
www.dormeo.co.uk/mattress-toppers/octaspring-mattress-toppers

I am also having a similar
problem. Sleeping on my new sofa, eliminated the problem, firmer.My dear sister in law suggested a topper before a new mattress, but do they move, or can you attach by straps? . Thank you.

Katie59 Fri 12-Apr-24 18:04:42

A vote here for Premier inn beds, beds are personal, on holiday we sleep on many different beds the only one that caused us problems was one that was too soft.
At home we have a firm sprung bed with a softer topper all natural fibre, that is gorgeous the best I’ve ever slept on, however some of the other firm foam mattresses have been good

Caleo Fri 12-Apr-24 18:09:42

Lots of good experience here. My tuppence worth is have you had you bone density checked by the doctor?

silverlining48 Fri 12-Apr-24 19:34:55

My bed and mattress is a t least 20 years old. I know it’s old but it’s really comfy and don’t want to risk a change.
If your mattress is only 4 years old and has been ok til recently then it may not be the mattress causing the pain,

Mogsmaw Fri 12-Apr-24 20:34:06

We have a top of the range Simba mattress and it’s fabulous but I’m getting so hot at night DH has taken to sleeping in his chair soon after I come to bed.
I’ve been lately thinking about a body pillow for my hips but there isn’t room for all “three” of us.
So we’ve taken the decision to get a better bed for the spare room, my craft room. I’ve had free choice and I’ve chosen an Emma ultra cooling mattress and an ENORMOUS cast iron bed with Crome knobs on. I’ve heard great things about the Emma mattresses the Simba certainly isn’t just foam! But the cooling aspect of the Emma swung it.
I’m just waiting for my pillows, wool duvet and bedding for the small Double.
DH has bought a huge 11kg weighted blanket, I think we have different preferences, I think this might be a very good idea.
Now I just have to figure out how to get my sewing table back up.

shysal Sat 13-Apr-24 09:47:30

PinkCosmos, I use a set of these clips to stop the bottom sheet working loose.
sheet clips

shysal Sat 13-Apr-24 09:49:28

Freya5, my topper has a non-slip cover which means it doesn't move.

Bakingmad0203 Sat 13-Apr-24 10:06:42

Interesting thread. I’m having the same problem with my Hypnos mattress. It’s 8 years old and definitely has a sunken bit where we sleep. I’ve turned it around a few times.
As it was so expensive I’m looking at buying a mattress topper, but the choice like mattresses is overwhelming. Any recommendations ?