Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How would you address this?

(105 Posts)
Astitchintime Fri 12-Apr-24 07:49:44

Very early one morning I observed a man walking his dog. As they approached our driveway - we have no gates - the dog (a bitch) came a few feet onto the drive and peed. He made no attempt to entice her off the driveway and back onto the path and we were left with a puddle of dog pee that would no doubt attract other dogs to do the same.
I wasn't dressed at the time so had no intention of confronting him there and then. But I am not sure how to address this; the dog didn't defacate, just peed, but it was the nonchalant attitude of the owner that irks me.

Grandmabatty Fri 12-Apr-24 07:53:53

I'm not sure there's anything you can do, annoyingly. I suppose wash the offending area with bleach might deter future dogs. Dogs pee on my fence and I can't stop that either.

BlueBelle Fri 12-Apr-24 07:57:08

Nothing you can do if the area isn’t gated just be grateful it wasn’t a poo

harrigran Fri 12-Apr-24 07:58:49

I see this all the time in my street, owner standing waiting while dog on lead pees up tree or fence posts. It annoys me but I do not confront them because I have seen some really aggressive behaviour.

petra Fri 12-Apr-24 07:59:19

Yesterday my OH was under his car tinkering with something when a fox walked up and casually peed on his tools 😂

Georgesgran Fri 12-Apr-24 08:00:27

Just throw a bucket of soapy water on it.
I don’t think there’s much you can do really.

dragonfly46 Fri 12-Apr-24 08:11:43

Dogs peeing don’t bother me. After all they have to go somewhere. I do get upset when they pooh in our front garden.

Curlywhirly Fri 12-Apr-24 09:31:58

Yes, the dog walker should have made an attempt to pull the dog off your drive, but it's not that easy if the dog has already started weeing 🙄 Can't say I'd be upset about it, I'd just throw a bucket of water on it - or, wait for the inevitable downpour of rain!

Cossy Fri 12-Apr-24 09:49:34

petra

Yesterday my OH was under his car tinkering with something when a fox walked up and casually peed on his tools 😂

😂😂😂😂

Cossy Fri 12-Apr-24 09:51:29

The answer here tbh if it bothers that much is to gate your driveway. Other that that very hot soapy water should sufficiently wash it away. I’m more bothered by cat and fox poo over our property.

Athrawes Fri 12-Apr-24 09:58:07

Funnily enough that happened at the entrance to our drive too. It annoyed me and I thought it should have gone in the gutter but with boy racers around I understood the safety angle and just let it be.

Squiffy Fri 12-Apr-24 10:11:21

I wonder if it would be a deterrent if you sloshed some neat Jeyes Fluid, or something similarly strong smelling, on the area where the dog pees?

Fleur20 Fri 12-Apr-24 10:14:21

Vinegar!

nanaK54 Fri 12-Apr-24 10:25:08

petra

You win! grin

Nell8 Fri 12-Apr-24 10:25:16

It's become quite the retirement pastime in this house - glaring out the front window while ranting about inconsiderate dog walkers. Unfortunately our cul de sac has unfenced front gardens and a footpath runs through. I googled for suitable notices to stick on our tree but feel it's like saying "Victor Meldrew and Hyacinth Bucket live here".

I guess we just have to live with it. In fact the foxes, cats and hedgehogs are the worst offenders.

Baggs Fri 12-Apr-24 10:32:10

petra

MrB had a mouse pee on his iPad once. We caught the blighter the next night 😂

Baggs Fri 12-Apr-24 10:33:02

I am really pleased when I find hedgehog poo in our garden.

Baggs Fri 12-Apr-24 10:34:37

We get roe and red deer shit all the time. Cost of living a bit off road in Scotland.

Fun when the deer have fawns though – our own personal nature series.

Dickens Fri 12-Apr-24 10:39:30

Obviously it's fairly easy to just slosh some suitably 'medicated' water over it - unless of course you are disabled which would make it bothersome.

I think it's the attitude of the dog owners rather than the fact of the dog peeing - after all, it is difficult once a dog has begun to pee to stop it.

If you knew where this individual lived and you have grandchildren, perhaps one of them could stop for a quick pee in his front garden or drive-way when you are out for a walk? grin

Calendargirl Fri 12-Apr-24 10:44:45

I assume the dog was on a lead? If so, he shouldn’t allow it to go down the drive. And if it wasn’t, well, perhaps it should be.

Callistemon21 Fri 12-Apr-24 10:46:10

Dickens 😂

Our front gardens are influenced and I used to see a neighbour walk his dog down the road, sniffing and peeing in everyone's gardens as he went.
Another time I saw a young girl bring her dog on to our front lawn to have a sniffie and a wee, then hunched over ready to poo. At that point I tapped the window and the girl looked up, startled and made off with the dog.

We get fox poo on the lawn, it stinks.

Callistemon21 Fri 12-Apr-24 10:46:40

Our front gardens are * unfenced*
😃

Baggs Fri 12-Apr-24 10:47:52

Calendargirl

I assume the dog was on a lead? If so, he shouldn’t allow it to go down the drive. And if it wasn’t, well, perhaps it should be.

Agreed.

Though I did pass a very well trained off-lead dog and its owner this morning, which I don't mind at all. The dog was carrying a frisbee ready for some fun in the park, I expect 🥏

Calendargirl Fri 12-Apr-24 10:49:33

Oh, I wondered what an ‘influenced’ garden was.

Being led astray by other naughty gardens….

Or being well behaved, modelled on ‘good’ gardens…

Calendargirl Fri 12-Apr-24 10:52:22

We have a youngish couple go past our house, with three or four spaniel type dogs, always off the lead.

But my word, how well trained they are, just trotting along at their owners side.

Bet they are not allowed to go down other drives.