Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Landline or not?

(91 Posts)
LilyoftheValley Wed 10-Apr-24 11:26:01

I am about to cancel my sky Sun as it is jolly expensive. Have found a much better deal with Virgin. However, they cannot add my landline at present.

I have heard tell that landlines are to be phased out and wonder if this is the time to bite the bullet and use mobile only.

Has anyone done this, please? With hindsight was it a good move. Thank you.

Theexwife Wed 10-Apr-24 11:29:16

I have not had a landline for years. The new tech for landlines need electricity to function so they are of no use as the backup line they were.

I cannot see any reason to have one.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 10-Apr-24 11:54:24

Landlines are not being phased out. We have just had ours switched to the new system. We have no mobile signal here so a landline is essential.

ferry23 Wed 10-Apr-24 11:57:52

I'm hanging on to my landline for as long as I can. As I understand it some kind of back up adaptor can be provided so that it will still work in the event of a power cut.

A few reasons - at the moment using a provider that can supply you with a line for broadband without a physical landline phone is actually more expensive than taking a BT package which includes calls and a landline. I'm sure though this will probably change when the digital roll-out really gets into it's stride and competition hots up.

The second reason is that I hate this "life dependency" on mobile phones and the way they're now an appendage to your hand. Of course I see the benefits and I use mine for many things but me and my phone are not co-joined!

I have 4 landline handsets - so wherever I am in my flat a phone is close at hand. Not so with my mobile as I don't carry it about with me indoors. And as I don't have a love affair with my mobile, it could actually be anywhere - in the car, down the side of the sofa, languishing at the bottom of my handbag - usually by the time I've located it I've missed the call.

I expect I'll have to fall into line eventually, but I'm clinging on by my fingernails right now grin

karmalady Wed 10-Apr-24 11:58:27

My ds suggested I get rid of my landline, so I did and now get the calls on my phone via vod. I no longer get any scam calls as they are blocked by vod and kaspersky between then. Much cheaper calls too, all included in my monthly sub. All the scam calls used to come on my landline.

I removed landline three years ago and have not looked back

crazyH Wed 10-Apr-24 12:00:37

I don’t know how we can manage without a landline . Don’t we need it to get our wi-fi signals . Please do tell. I am confused..

karmalady Wed 10-Apr-24 12:01:04

ferry, it is up to the individual if they turn their phone into an appendage. I always have mine downstairs in the same place and only take it out for safety reasons when I am driving

Re phone ring time, I increased mine to the maximum time so I had time to get downstairs

Louella12 Wed 10-Apr-24 12:02:10

We've not used a landline for years.

Jaxjacky Wed 10-Apr-24 12:13:49

We’ve not had a landline for at least twelve years, never missed it.
crazyH you just have the line, we pay a small charge, but not a handset or telephone number, ours is currently being replaced by fibre from copper.

crazyH Wed 10-Apr-24 12:14:53

Thankyou Jaxjacky

Doodledog Wed 10-Apr-24 12:18:29

We have one, but I don't use it. It costs more than the mobile, as I have unlimited calls as part of my contract. My mum calls me on it, as she can't get her head around the fact that it doesn't cost a fortune these days (she has a call-inclusive contract too), and I have a friend who prefers to use landlines and she uses it too. Otherwise it is rarely used. We were sent digital phones some time ago to use when the time comes, and I will switch to them as necessary, but I wouldn't miss the landline if we didn't have it.

Dickens Wed 10-Apr-24 12:19:01

If you lose or break your mobile so it's unusable - also if the signal is lost and you get the "No Service" notification; also if you are in an area with a poor signal and, like my neighbour, have to go out into the garden to make a call...

... what would you do in an emergency?

Salti Wed 10-Apr-24 12:20:30

Last year, the new high speed phone lines were installed in my area. A company I'd never heard of was knocking on doors trying to sign customers up to their ultrafast broadband. In a moment of madness, I signed up for their broadband and a phone line......and then panicked. I looked them up on the Internet and their reviews were excellent. A new phone line was installed into my property with a new modem and mesh system. I wanted a landline as the mobile phone signal here can be a bit hit and miss. They installed the new line for free and I got 3 months free usage. Since then I've paid £35 a month, which also includes all my calls 24/7 to mobiles and landlines, using my old phone. Although the phone wouldn't work without electricity I cannot remember the last time we had a power cut here.

RunaroundSue Wed 10-Apr-24 12:22:26

I also have Virgin Media and my old landline fixings have been transferred to the router. They also provided me with an Emergency back up telephone in case the mobile wireless signal goes down then it changes over to a battery so I can make and take phone calls.

With mobile phones if there is a poor wireless signal and you don't have a landline you cannot make or take calls unless you switch to your mobile data. Luckily my Virgin Media package includes talk anytime on my landline. I only use my mobile when I go out as like I said, my Virgin Media landline includes talk anytime minutes for free and I ring people and they ring me on my landline.

RunaroundSue Wed 10-Apr-24 12:23:39

She would switch her mobile phone to mobile data and use the minutes she pays for in her package.

Salti Wed 10-Apr-24 12:25:27

They also installed an app on my mobile from which I can control the modem, for instance blocking devices and seeing what is connected. My speed is usually above 900 Mbps.

Visgir1 Wed 10-Apr-24 12:25:51

Sticking with the landline.
I have to often phone patients (doing a NHS clinic) we try and use the landline as hardly anyone answer their mobile. It's either not turned on or they can't hear it.
Then there is no personal named message just the company standard Answerphone message, under data protection we can't leave our message. So we try again, if still no joy we then have to send a letter saying unable to contact by phone.

RunaroundSue Wed 10-Apr-24 12:27:08

Mine too. I only use my mobile phone when I go out. All my landline calls are free with my Virgin Media package and if there is a power cut, Virgin gave me a table top phone that switches to battery power so I can still make and take calls.

Romola Wed 10-Apr-24 12:31:28

I'm forever mislaying my mobile and need my landline to ring it up so that I can find it again. Don't tell the AC.

tanith Wed 10-Apr-24 12:39:08

I got rid of mine a year ago. Only 2 people ever rang me on it and I use my mobile all the time. BT were charging me a fortune and now I’m only paying a £1 a month for my broadband for a year then £25 it’s saving me loads and I’ve not missed the landline at all. My mobile is sim only £15pm. My house isn’t that large that I can’t hear it ring and if I’m in the garden or walking it’s with me just in case of accidents.

Pittcity Wed 10-Apr-24 18:59:47

Haven't had a landline for years. No problem as we have cheap contracts and spare mobiles in case of breakage.
Signal is not a problem at home as you can call using your home WiFi. Most people use messaging apps rather than old fashioned phoning anyway.
I have a smart watch linked to my phone by Bluetooth which alerts me to calls etc

annodomini Wed 10-Apr-24 19:14:38

Moving home, last year, I decided to do without a land line and have not had any cause to regret it. I receive calls on my bluetooth-enabled hearing aids, though I obviously have to go into the phone to make a call.

Sago Wed 10-Apr-24 19:18:51

crazyH

I don’t know how we can manage without a landline . Don’t we need it to get our wi-fi signals . Please do tell. I am confused..

Wi-Fi signals have no connection with a landline.

BlueBelle Wed 10-Apr-24 19:24:18

I m on a scheme that I keep my landline but only pay if I make any calls but I can receive incoming ones ( from a couple of friends who don’t have mobiles) for free I don’t make calls on it but could if there was an emergency

Harris27 Wed 10-Apr-24 19:27:08

Got one use it to ring my brother once a weeek. Otherwise never use it.