Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Seeeing if this works

(29 Posts)
haydenlindsey Wed 10-Apr-24 10:00:33

Just saying hello and to see if this works

haydenlindsey Wed 10-Apr-24 10:02:37

Am looking for friends im a single parent of a 15 year old with very little friends my mum died at 55 and my father has remarried

NotSpaghetti Wed 10-Apr-24 10:07:32

This is a grandparents forum haydenlindsey - you are welcome to join online chats but we are not really a "friendship" website.

Have you had a look at Gingerbread?
That may be more helpful.

www.gingerbread.org.uk/

Georgesgran Wed 10-Apr-24 10:09:46

You posted on the GMorning thread today, so yes, it’s working.
I think you’ll be younger than most of us here, but welcome anyway - age is no barrier and despite the name, many aren’t grandparents either.

haydenlindsey Wed 10-Apr-24 10:20:50

Thank you. Gingerbread has not been very good really so would be really good to chat to new friends on here and share accurate insights and wisdom. Thank u for the welcome.

Shelflife Wed 10-Apr-24 10:22:37

Needing a space to chat , regardless of age , certainly don't have to be. GP, you have come to the right place - welcome!

NotSpaghetti Wed 10-Apr-24 10:29:43

Do you have a hobby or a particular interest - books or walking or archaeology or whatever...?
Activities are great ways to meet new people. Shared interests make it easier to chat.

I wasn't trying to put you off joining us here! Apologies. I thought you had just wandered in accidentally. flowers

Truffle43 Wed 10-Apr-24 10:33:06

Haydenlyndsey a big warm welcome.

Spuddy Wed 10-Apr-24 10:43:55

Good morning, haydenlindsey, from me in Cumbria and welcome to this brilliant site!

I'm happily married and owned by a cat and 3 coldwater fish!

haydenlindsey Wed 10-Apr-24 11:01:32

Thank you so much really good to be here! Xxx

crazyH Wed 10-Apr-24 11:07:35

Welcome haydenlindsey - age is no barrier

Astitchintime Wed 10-Apr-24 11:12:55

And a big 'welcome' from me! You can be sure of some varied, interesting, helpful and sometimes controversial discussions on Gransnet.

Astitchintime Wed 10-Apr-24 11:13:55

Also, if you use the 'private message' facility the comments are only seen by you and whoever you send the message to.

haydenlindsey Wed 10-Apr-24 11:36:25

This is all good information just finding my way on this! Where do i find advice if i have questions is there a discussion forum?

Georgesgran Wed 10-Apr-24 12:08:41

The whole aim of GM is for discussion really. Just start up a new thread (as you’ve just done) but under the relevant topic, eg. Health/Legal/Pets or whatever.
Bear in mind, if it’s a personal issue, you could get a lot of differing opinions, many of which may not agree with your own take on things. Don’t take things too personally and you’ll be fine.

Squiffy Wed 10-Apr-24 12:08:51

Hi haydenlindsey, Just click on Forums (top of page) and look for a thread that sounds right for you or click on ‘start a new discussion’ and away you go!

Georgesgran Wed 10-Apr-24 12:14:04

Do remember not to include too much personal information - in case you identify yourself.

haydenlindsey Wed 10-Apr-24 15:23:22

Thank you lots of good advice!

sharon103 Wed 10-Apr-24 15:28:46

Hello smile

Elegran Wed 10-Apr-24 15:38:05

Bear in mind also that although you have to join Gransnet to post anything, anyone at all who can access the internet might be reading the posts, so if you post something personal, like your real name or your 15-yearold's, or exactly where you live, or say something about a friend or neighbour that you wouldn't have said in front of them, it is out there on the internet where anyone could be reading it.

DamaskRose Wed 10-Apr-24 15:42:25

Welcome! I hope you finding what you’re looking for here, lots of good advice in the previous posts. flowers

haydenlindsey Wed 10-Apr-24 16:06:23

Really appreciate the advice how do i change the user name

Squiffy Wed 10-Apr-24 16:23:19

Click on the Report button just above your last post and ask GNHQ to change it for you. It’s the easiest way!

V3ra Wed 10-Apr-24 18:09:44

I'm sorry that your mum has died, you must feel a big gap in your life without her xx

You sound like you're looking for conversation and advice from people of the grandparent age group, so you've come to the right place 🤗

harrigran Thu 11-Apr-24 09:34:06

Gransnet is great for support and friendship if you want an older person's take on things.
I have been around since the beginning and received wonderful support especially when I was widowed.
Welcome and enjoy the chats.