Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

As a mother did/do you put your children first?

(98 Posts)
Sago Sun 10-Mar-24 19:16:00

Some months ago I asked this question here in GN.
Opinion was divided.
As it’s Mother’s Day I thought I would resurrect the debate.
I asked because my daughter confessed to me that she had never really considered that as a mother she would always put her children first.
When I told this to my friend she said it was wrong to not put yourself first, she maintained that she would always find time for herself even if it may have been to the detriment of her children.
I was quite shocked at this.
How do you feel?

dogsmother Sun 10-Mar-24 19:21:01

Wow, couldn’t even imagine putting me before my children. It’s just an inbuilt instinct that not everyone has. Even now mine are very much adults and I should know better I will still do all I can to enable them.

joannapiano Sun 10-Mar-24 19:23:50

We have three children. I always put my husband first, and still do.

TwiceAsNice Sun 10-Mar-24 19:24:16

I would always put my children first . Even now they are adults if I can make things better for them I always would. Why wouldn’t you?

MissAdventure Sun 10-Mar-24 19:24:50

It depends on the circumstances.
I wouldn't make a martyr of myself, as some mothers seem to do.
Quite frankly, its rarely necessary.

Smileless2012 Sun 10-Mar-24 19:26:34

I agree MissA, it depends on the circumstances.

OldFrill Sun 10-Mar-24 19:28:05

My adult children and l (and my husband) consider ourselves equal. There's no hierarchy. They would find it an utter nonsense to 'put them first' as l would if they 'put me first'. I've really no idea what it means amongst adult family.

TwiceAsNice Sun 10-Mar-24 19:28:20

Whilst they were children I would never put another adult before them although I know woken who put there husbands first. I never understood that there is not a man alive Id put before my children, including the idiot I married and divorced when they were adults ( should have done it sooner)

MissAdventure Sun 10-Mar-24 19:30:06

When they're little, it's only right to put their health and wellbeing before your own, if necessary.

kittylester Sun 10-Mar-24 19:31:20

My husband and I would put the children first.

Smileless2012 Sun 10-Mar-24 19:33:27

Yes, when they're children MissA.

Casdon Sun 10-Mar-24 19:34:52

I think it depends what you mean by put them first.
If you mean would I die myself rather than see one of them die, yes I definitely would.
If you mean let their father cope with them when they were wanting me to be there as children if I was going out for the evening, I’d go out.
I don’t think becoming a mother means you should lose yourself, and you have to separate their wishes from their actual need for your direct care.

Oldnproud Sun 10-Mar-24 19:36:09

Smileless2012

I agree MissA, it depends on the circumstances.

I agree too.

Cabbie21 Sun 10-Mar-24 19:37:48

MissAdventure

It depends on the circumstances.
I wouldn't make a martyr of myself, as some mothers seem to do.
Quite frankly, its rarely necessary.

Yes, when they are little, but once a mum goes back to work she has to do a juggling act if she wants to keep her job. She also needs to look after herself and her own well-being to be a good mother.

Doodledog Sun 10-Mar-24 19:41:46

Casdon

I think it depends what you mean by put them first.
If you mean would I die myself rather than see one of them die, yes I definitely would.
If you mean let their father cope with them when they were wanting me to be there as children if I was going out for the evening, I’d go out.
I don’t think becoming a mother means you should lose yourself, and you have to separate their wishes from their actual need for your direct care.

This is how I see it, I think.

Oldnproud Sun 10-Mar-24 19:47:26

I certainly don't think that what children want (as opposed to 'need') should always come before what the parents want. That is the road to martyrdom for the parents and a sense of entitlement in the children. A fair amount of give and take and compromise by all parties is surely a far healthier approach to parenting in the long run?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 10-Mar-24 20:25:51

DH and I juggled our children as we were in the process of building our SME. Once at school we always made sure one of us picked them up from school, one of us always attended school events.

DH and I tried to make time for us but it was difficult.

Have had discussions with our now AC and they all say they had a great childhood and are still close to their Nanny they appreciate the life-style and opportunities they had then and now.

MayBee70 Sun 10-Mar-24 20:53:28

From the minute my daughter was born she, and then later her brother, I put them before everything. And nothing has changed since then.

Jaxjacky Sun 10-Mar-24 21:12:44

Yes when they were young, particularly as I was a single parent, but your children are lent to you,.
I think it’s important to nurture yourself and your relationships then when your children start making their own way in the world, although you’re there for them, you’re not living through them.

sodapop Sun 10-Mar-24 21:21:22

I agree with that Jaxjacky As children get older I think they have to learn to accommodate others and that sometimes their needs are secondary.

NotSpaghetti Sun 10-Mar-24 21:22:21

When they were children:
Needs - yes
Wants - sometimes

Now:
If I think I can be of particular help - but not always.
As they are all adults now they often help me out too. As someone said upthread we are all independent family members who love each other and help where we can.

Doodledog Sun 10-Mar-24 21:30:35

I can’t help thinking that if someone is brought up to believe that they come first every time they will struggle to form equal relationships with others. I also think that such self-sacrifice can make martyrs of parents, who then feel that their children are obligated to them.

Imarocker Sun 10-Mar-24 21:51:58

I brought my children up in the 70s/ 80s and I don’t think our generation did put children first. DD said recently that they were expected to go along with what we wanted. I pursued my education and career BUT if they needed me everything stopped for them. Eg when they had a serious problem at school or needed to discuss something with me or when DS had serious operation.

Imarocker Sun 10-Mar-24 21:53:03

Can’t edit so just want to add that we are an extremely close family.

JollySailor Sun 10-Mar-24 21:55:59

If they were young children, of course they would come first, but now they are grown ups in their 50's, if they ever wanted our help then of course we would help them but I think it has got to the point that we are now all grown ups and should just help each other when needed.