Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Tesco customer service

(47 Posts)
Sasta Sun 10-Mar-24 14:51:05

Hello all

I’ve been trying for two days to contact Tesco Customer service, but they seem to want nothing at all to do with customers. Every avenue I’ve tried is met with a recorded message, and an email I sent to a customer service address found easily online, replied with ‘this email is not monitored’ go to a store. Another Tesco page gave a number to call on Sundays, but this isn’t taking calls either, so in other words get lost, we are not interested. I attached photos of the flowers which were bought in the 8 March with a sell by date of 11 March and a statement on the label saying that they stay fresh for 5 days, making 8 days from the day bought. They are in very poor condition, some practically dead but this didn’t show in the nice bouquet wrapping. They cost £10. Does anybody know how to complain to Tesco without going to the actual store please?

Tizliz Sun 10-Mar-24 14:59:23

you have to use Whatsapp

0800 917 7403

Sasta Sun 10-Mar-24 15:03:52

Yes TizLiz, I tried a couple of times and again this morning and just get this message…

Kate1949 Sun 10-Mar-24 15:05:21

I think you've been unlucky. We've always had fantastic customer service from Tesco's. They have been helpful and courteous and always solved our problems.

Astitchintime Sun 10-Mar-24 15:08:35

It seems that all the supermarkets are the same now - I had cause to report a home delivery driver for dangerous driving recently and it was virtually impossible to speak to anyone. I had the registration number of the vehicle concerned and it was only when I threatened to report the matter to the police and to state that their stores transport manager was being negligent that I actually got to speak to someone.
Had I got the incident on dash cam video I would have gone to the police originally, but I hadn't so I had no visible proof of being almost forced off the road by the other driver.

I am sorry about your flowers though Sasta, but I really do think you need to take them back to the store - normally, the staff on the customer service desks are great, when you can actually see them - getting anyone on the phone is almost impossible.

TinSoldier Sun 10-Mar-24 15:09:41

No you don't. You can call 0800 505 555

I doubt they will quibble over a £10 bunch of flowers. With the huge number of bouquets stores would have had delivered for Mothering Sunday, it's disappointing but inevitable that some will be spoiled. It could have been a case of another customer removing the bunch from the water container and then putting it back so the stems weren't in contact with the water.

Sasta Sun 10-Mar-24 15:13:08

Kate1949

I think you've been unlucky. We've always had fantastic customer service from Tesco's. They have been helpful and courteous and always solved our problems.

I’m sure they would be really helpful if I went into a store Kate1949, but I can’t get out at the moment. It feels really weird being sent from pillar to post though, without actually managing to talk with anybody, and that’s since Friday. Very odd.

Sasta Sun 10-Mar-24 15:16:10

Thank you TinSoldier, I’ll try that number. I know it’s not a huge deal, but wanted to show them on email on Friday, in case they say I had them too long or whatever.

Sasta Sun 10-Mar-24 15:23:30

I forgot TinSoldier, I tried that number above on Friday and again just now. You only get to select from a list of options, which I did, and it says if you are calling about a product bought in store, go into store. An email address that is monitored would be ideal but it looks like there are none. Poor customer service I think.

Shinamae Sun 10-Mar-24 15:33:09

I had the same problem about three years ago. My daughter sent me some flowers from Moonpig and they arrived in a terrible state. I did complain because I wanted her to get her money back so I told her what they were like and she did get her money back. I think a lot of these companies think the mothers won’t complain because they don’t wanna upset the daughter/son
I would definitely pursue it if you can find a way to get to them!

TinSoldier Sun 10-Mar-24 15:36:04

Try again. Number two is for things bought in store. Choose that and keep listening. You can then choose six for something your cannot otherwise resolve. That should connect you to a customer advisor. I just tried it and got straight through.

Kate1949 Sun 10-Mar-24 15:38:32

I'm sorry to hear that Sasta. We have always used the 0800 505 5555 number. I don't know what else to suggest.

Sasta Sun 10-Mar-24 15:50:46

Thanks again TinSoldier! Will try again now.

Sasta Sun 10-Mar-24 16:17:41

Well, tried again and listened to option 2 to the end option 6 and I got a real live person in Scotland! Thank you for the help (though it was really customer error I think.) That said, the lady confirmed there is no email for customer service, you have to take stuff into store, but on this occasion she would give me a refund stating if this happened again, I would not get a refund unless I took them to the store. Then she apologised for having to say that, which was kind as I was beginning to feel bad for asking without showing proof 😮. However, I would have preferred to send photographs in but that’s no longer an option. Thanks all and have a lovely Mother’s Day afternoon and evening.

Sasta Sun 10-Mar-24 16:21:21

I know exactly what you mean Shinamae, my mum sent flowers to my sister in another town and she sent me a photo, they were appalling for the money, a real rip off. She didn’t want to upset mum but I said she’d be livid that she didn’t get what mum paid for so we told her and we got it sorted.

FarNorth Sun 10-Mar-24 16:24:43

Glad you got it sorted Sasta

Katie59 Sun 10-Mar-24 19:46:12

No idea about Tesco but if you took them back with the receipt or gift card to Waitrose you would get a refund and a replacement as an apology.

Enid101 Sun 10-Mar-24 21:34:07

I’m glad you got the matter sorted. Just a thought though, I wonder if the roses just needed their guard petals removing.

Sasta Sun 10-Mar-24 21:40:13

Enid101

I’m glad you got the matter sorted. Just a thought though, I wonder if the roses just needed their guard petals removing.

No, they were in a bad state Enid101, as were others. Middle of the roses also brown, and stems of other flowers black and mouldy. Shame.

Sasta Sun 10-Mar-24 21:40:26

Pics further up

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Mar-24 22:23:33

Glad you got it sorted at last, Sasta, but I wouldn’t be happy with the line about having to take goods back to a store next time. That’s just not possible for some customers, for various reasons. If you’re on Facebook, contacting a company via Messenger from there usually gets a quick response. In fact Tesco’s Facebook page encourages people to do so if they have a problem. You can send photos this way as well.

Sasta Mon 11-Mar-24 00:41:26

Thank you Maggiemaybe I hadn’t realised this. I would have preferred to send my photos rather than rely on an ‘in this instance I’ll give you a refund’ without proof type of thing. But you live and learn!

Auntieflo Mon 11-Mar-24 10:17:50

You may be interested in the following as I have had luck in the past by emailing Tesco at:-

[email protected]

I was able to send pictures with my email, and received a voucher to spend in store. So worth the little effort.

cookiemonster66 Tue 12-Mar-24 11:44:40

If you use whatsapp they reply almost straight away and have always given refunds very quickly

Caleo Tue 12-Mar-24 11:50:51

I always found Tesco customer service so good that the call handlers could be on Samaritans , or be ministers of religion no kidding. Tesco call handlers make me feel there are real human beings in the world of commerce.