Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Shall I go to soft play

(38 Posts)
c0nfused Sun 10-Mar-24 11:52:18

Hallo
For various reasons there have been no plans to see my three children this mothers day: one is travelling and sent his regards, my two daughters didn't mention it so I didn't either. They have other commitments. Also my partner is away for the weekend arriving back this pm. I had a busy Saturday so have bought myself some flowers and planned to get jobs done.

Nicely I have just had an invite to go out with one daughter who is babysitting her toddler niece while other daughter's partner takes her out for the afternoon. I would love to see them but they are going to soft play. I really don't like the echoing noise of soft play esp on a wet afternoon, and tbh I have avoided it gladly ever since my own children were 6. I also feel its a one-adult activity. I think I would feel embarrassedly helicopterish to be one of two adults crawling through the soft play watching my gc (three if my partner comes too). Her auntie is enough for her.

Do I just go cos its nice to be invited, or give it a miss and see them another time?

The fact that its mothers day is just being a nuisance here; I dont want to seem ungrateful to be invited but also its not an activity I would choose.

kittylester Sun 10-Mar-24 11:57:46

There are lots of people on here who don't get the chance to see their children and grandchildren at all.

Life is about give and take. Give a little and go!

Iam64 Sun 10-Mar-24 12:00:24

Quick thought came to me - I do many activities with grandchildren that I wouldn’t have chosen. It’s entirely up to you but it seems like an opportunity to share something

c0nfused Sun 10-Mar-24 12:00:40

Thaanks. Thats what I was thinking I should probably do. I try not to drop everything whenever the chance is offered, because you need your own interests.

aonk Sun 10-Mar-24 12:01:58

I completely share your views about soft play! In a situation like this however I would definitely go. You can just watch and maybe retreat to the cafe if it all gets too much. Hopefully watching a child having fun will give you pleasure. We need to grasp these opportunities to spend time with family with both hands. Don’t overthink this. It’s just an afternoon out.

c0nfused Sun 10-Mar-24 12:03:08

and I can share seeing my gc play with her auntie. (Other daughter will be out, hence babysitting)

Grannynannywanny Sun 10-Mar-24 12:17:08

Some of the best fun I had with my grandchildren was crawling around in soft play centres. My 2 oldest are teens now and I still go. I’m too decrepit for the crawling and climbing now but I love watching the 2 teen grandchildren doing the course with their 2 little cousins.

You thought you wouldn’t see anyone for Mother’s Day and now you’ve been invited out. I think you should get yourself ready and off you go. You can sit and have a coffee and watch the younger generation enjoy themselves. Life is too short to miss out on such opportunities. You’ll have plenty of other days to sit at home.

Shelflife Sun 10-Mar-24 12:21:15

Do go , you might enjoy it !

c0nfused Sun 10-Mar-24 12:29:53

I have said yes - everone is right and I can do my jobs later in the evening. (I'm still working ft so they do have to get done)

Galaxy Sun 10-Mar-24 12:31:31

How old is the child? I had many a peaceful coffee when my two were in soft play within sight.

SeaWoozle Sun 10-Mar-24 12:33:59

Soft play breaks my ears, but if it gave me the chance to spend time with loved ones for a couple of hours, then I'd absolutely go! X

c0nfused Sun 10-Mar-24 12:37:47

She's not 2 so auntie will be crawling round with her. And I may be too. I have dug out my earphones in case of retreat to the cafe.

SeaWoozle Sun 10-Mar-24 12:39:51

c0nfused

She's not 2 so auntie will be crawling round with her. And I may be too. I have dug out my earphones in case of retreat to the cafe.

Hope you have a lovely time 🤗💐

BlueBelle Sun 10-Mar-24 12:41:33

Unless they are very small you just leave them to it and have a nice coffee and cake whilst you wait and only get involved in the play if you get shouted Naaaaaaan or Muuuuuuum
Go and watch I used to love the sounds of them screaming with delight and miss seeing their little faces arising out of the big pit of balls

ginny Sun 10-Mar-24 15:57:54

Go. You don’t all have to follow her all the time.

Oreo Sun 10-Mar-24 16:53:58

I wouldn’t go but up to you.By now you will either have gone or not but soft play areas are hellish IMO and what thought has been given to you as a Mum, it’s hardly a treat to be invited to this.

tanith Sun 10-Mar-24 17:42:31

I go to soft play with one of my granddaughters regularly, her 4yr old loves it and we sit with the baby and have coffee cake and a good catch up. Granddaughter keeps an eye and ear out for him.
Do go it might be fun.

Sara1954 Sun 10-Mar-24 21:50:42

I would probably go, I wouldn’t especially want to, but I do a lot of things I don’t especially want to with my grandchildren.
Soft play is probably top of my list of horrible days out though, there are a few around here, they all smell of cooking, toilets, sweaty bodies, and something undefinable.
Youngest grandchild now at school, so I’m done.

JollySailor Sun 10-Mar-24 22:07:24

When our grandchildren were youngsters, I was 60 years old, I spent many a Saturday afternoon crawling through ball pits, swinging on ropes and sliding down shoots. I was shattered when it was all over but the grandchildren had a great time.

Cambsnan Mon 11-Mar-24 12:03:52

Up to you but don’t feel hard done by on Mothers Day if you choose not to go!

Shirls52000 Mon 11-Mar-24 12:17:24

Have just been to soft play this morning with my little 2 yr old grandson, I ve been up and down slides and along tunnels and it culminated in a complete meltdown when we had to leave, I had to carry him screaming back to the car and he’s a ton weight ! By the time we got back to my house he was happy and chuckling once more, episode forgotten. He’s now having a nap and I m trying to restore sanity by having some toast and a cuppa, but I wouldn’t change things, I ll still keep doing daft things to try and keep my grandchildren occupied and happy while I m looking after them

Sara1954 Mon 11-Mar-24 12:38:33

Shirls, I agree, my last of six is now at school, and happy though I am never to have to go to soft play again, I shall miss all our outings, and all our imaginary games.
Make the most of them while you can

Cycorax Mon 11-Mar-24 12:49:06

Soft play is noisy and unhygienic; I loathe it. I had to take my granddaughter there recently as she had been invited there for a friend's birthday. I also had to look after her two year old sister. She was supposed to stay in the little ones' area. Not a bit of it! She went all the way up to the top of the main play area. It was very hard to get her down!
Still if you want to be with your grandchildren, put up with it. But it really seems to be a petri dish for all kinds of nasty bacteria. And not cheap either.

Sawsage2 Mon 11-Mar-24 12:54:47

You don't have to crawl round the play area. I'm disabled but I would sit in the cafe and smile and nod at the grandkids, it's being there for them that's important.

Dempie55 Mon 11-Mar-24 13:34:42

I’d rather eat my own feet than ever enter a soft play venue again.