Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hotels by the sea

(37 Posts)
kittylester Sat 09-Mar-24 08:37:08

We love hotels over looking the sea when we have a short break.

We love the Brudenell at Aldeburgh and used to enjoy The Midland at Morecambe before it was taken over. When the children were small, we stayed at the Woolacombe Bay Hotel.

Can anyone recommend anything similar?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 09-Mar-24 08:40:00

Burgh Island if you are feeling flush. Can’t get nearer the sea than that!

Primrose53 Sat 09-Mar-24 09:04:59

Blakeney Hotel in North Norfolk is right on the quayside and has lovely views of the Quay and marshes and the distant sea beyond. There is a huge viewing lounge where you can have tea or coffee or afternoon tea.

Imarocker Sat 09-Mar-24 09:06:31

We also love the Brudenell at Aldeburgh. I can still remember the wonderful feeling of relaxing when we got to our room on a Friday evening and could see the sea. I’ve never managed to persuade my husband to take me to the Midland. I look forward to seeing other recommendations. Have a look at the hotels at Lyme Regis and Muddeford.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 09-Mar-24 09:11:28

The Hotel Riviera in , literally across the road from the beach. Excellent food and service, you might want to turn the heating down though, it’s always a bit warm in there.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 09-Mar-24 09:12:12

Oh dear it’s in Sidmouth, not sure where the town disappeared to.

Georgesgran Sat 09-Mar-24 09:17:30

The Atlantic Hotel in Tenby overlooks the sea. A private footpath leads through the garden, down to the beach.

kittylester Sat 09-Mar-24 09:19:28

Imarocker

We also love the Brudenell at Aldeburgh. I can still remember the wonderful feeling of relaxing when we got to our room on a Friday evening and could see the sea. I’ve never managed to persuade my husband to take me to the Midland. I look forward to seeing other recommendations. Have a look at the hotels at Lyme Regis and Muddeford.

The Midland was one of our very favourites but the contract to run it was given to a company that has changed it to much more 'pub' like.

It had a brilliant vibe and was handy for visiting the lakes and my lovely Preston based Aunt and family.

kittylester Sat 09-Mar-24 09:20:32

Georgesgran

The Atlantic Hotel in Tenby overlooks the sea. A private footpath leads through the garden, down to the beach.

Oooh, I had forgotten, we stayed there years and years ago. Thank you.

kittylester Sat 09-Mar-24 09:22:15

Just looked at it - it doesn't do dinner!

Whiff Sat 09-Mar-24 09:38:07

kittylester I am going to Berwick upon Tweed in May staying at the primer inn which is at the harbour. Never been before but imagine I may be able to see the sea from my room just depends where it is as having an accessible room. But I think it's a short walk to the harbour wall.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 09-Mar-24 09:47:37

We used to like The Midland too Kitty but was disappointed on our last visit last year.
I’m interested in any other recommendations we love a hotel overlooking the sea.

Joseann Sat 09-Mar-24 09:53:38

Hotel Tresanton, St. Mawes, if it's for a treat. It's an Alex Polizzi place, so good food is guaranteed.

Nanatoone Sat 09-Mar-24 09:55:00

The Premier Inn in Exmouth is on the Sea Front, it’s quite new too.

Joseann Sat 09-Mar-24 09:57:00

Nanatoone

The Premier Inn in Exmouth is on the Sea Front, it’s quite new too.

Yes perfect location. And Rockfish for dinner.

Kate1949 Sat 09-Mar-24 10:04:00

The Atlantic in Newquay Cornwall is pretty spectacular. Also, although it's many years since we stayed there, The Fowey Hall Hotel in Fowey (foy) in Cornwall. It's Daphne Du Maurier country.

kittylester Sat 09-Mar-24 10:11:42

Ooh, Kate, we've been there too - it's fabulous!

TerriBull Sat 09-Mar-24 10:15:51

Buddock Vean -Helford Passage, Cornwall
The Bedruthen Steps, I think it's been renamed as The Bedruthen Spa since I was last there- Mawgan Porth Cornwall
The Harbour Hotel - Salcombe, Devon

All have beautiful settings and have restaurants.

Georgesgran Sat 09-Mar-24 10:21:14

Seaham Hall Hotel and Spa up here on the North East coast.
Bracing weather and you’ll need a second mortgage!! I’ve done spa days there - lovely.

Kate1949 Sat 09-Mar-24 10:34:19

Which one kitty?

kittylester Sat 09-Mar-24 10:48:18

The Atlantic at Newquay. We had booked a self catering bungalow which was in a disgusting state when we got there so had to hunt around for somewhere else. The Atlaantic was the only place we could get in. We stayed 3 nights and moved to the Carbis Bay for the rest of the holiday.

henetha Sat 09-Mar-24 10:57:08

There's a Premier Inn on the seafront in Torquay.

kittylester Sat 09-Mar-24 11:02:22

And Skeggy, I think.

Kate1949 Sat 09-Mar-24 11:02:47

Oh yes it's lovely isn't it kitty? We didn't realise until we got there that The Beatles stayed there for three nights as part of filming their Magical Mystery Tour. I found some lovely pictures when I googled it.

kittylester Sat 09-Mar-24 11:05:10

Get you were in your element, Kate.