Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cleaning Grout……what have you used successfully?

(29 Posts)
Kateykrunch Wed 06-Mar-24 17:03:23

I sat in a different position at the Breakfast Bar this morning and realised how grubby my kitchen tile grout looks! Any, simple, easy, successful tips would be gratefully received. Thank you.

AGAA4 Wed 06-Mar-24 17:09:37

Bicarbonate of soda mixed with white vinegar and a cheap or old toothbrush.
Half a lemon works too.

Niochorio Wed 06-Mar-24 18:28:25

I have used one of the magic erasers (lots of different brands available) on the grout in the shower. Excellent results and no product needed just water and the eraser.

dragonfly46 Wed 06-Mar-24 18:36:48

I use Domestos Grotbuster. It is amazing.

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-24 18:52:50

A grout pen.
Take the lid off, and just run it over the grout lines.

Kateykrunch Wed 06-Mar-24 19:00:27

Thanks all, with try all these (looks like the Grot Buster is no longer sold), but it looked on utube just like really thick bleach, so may give that a go. Oh gosh, Spring Cleaning!!

mumofmadboys Wed 06-Mar-24 19:17:08

I use thick bleach and a paint brush.

Cadenza123 Wed 06-Mar-24 22:13:50

My steam mop has a grout brush attachment and it works really well in the kitchen. Hard work but really makes a difference. I recently got a quote for someone to clean the grout using their cleaning machine, £110!

Maggiemaybe Wed 06-Mar-24 22:31:24

HG Mould Spray. Just spray on, leave a few hours and most of the marks simply dissolve - a quick scrub and the rest are gone. Careful though - I once bought the HG Grout Cleaner by mistake and it made no difference at all!

MissAdventure Wed 06-Mar-24 22:31:50

The grout pen was £1 from poundland. smile

Gwyllt Thu 07-Mar-24 07:59:04

Steam cleaner but apparently it removes grout protector if you have it but mine are old tiles so don’t worry

Ali08 Thu 07-Mar-24 21:29:47

Toothpaste and an old toothbrush or whatever.
Rub the toothpaste on the grout, leave for a few minutes. Dampen your brush or scourer and gently scrub away. Rinse off.
All done!

Kate1949 Thu 07-Mar-24 22:53:18

Yes I agree Ali . Toothpaste is great. It's also wonderful for chrome. I coat chrome taps with it, rinse off after a few minutes and the taps are gleaming.

downnotout Thu 07-Mar-24 22:57:15

Astonish Mould and Mildew remover. Spray it on, leave overnight, wipe off. Pound stores and Superdrug have it.

PinkCosmos Fri 08-Mar-24 09:31:44

Maggiemaybe

HG Mould Spray. Just spray on, leave a few hours and most of the marks simply dissolve - a quick scrub and the rest are gone. Careful though - I once bought the HG Grout Cleaner by mistake and it made no difference at all!

I would second HG mould spray. I also bought the grout cleaner by mistake.

You just spray it on and leave it for 30 minutes. No scrubbing required.

Kateykrunch Fri 08-Mar-24 10:52:04

Thank you everyone for all the tips…..there is no mold just grubby, so I will try a grout pen first as that seems an easy solution.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Mar-24 11:12:52

It is, but buy 3 or so pens (£3) because they run out fairly quickly

Gwan1 Sun 10-Mar-24 11:35:10

I have tried all of these suggestions but still no luck!!

callum12 Sun 10-Mar-24 11:38:10

Thick bleach left on for a good while works a treat

Mt61 Sun 10-Mar-24 11:43:38

Depends what colour your grout is, bleach & water on white flash spray with bleach is very good. Ours is vanilla colour so used HG grout clearer the other night, some parts came up like new but a bit hit & miss really

Davida1968 Sun 10-Mar-24 13:35:32

This is an interesting thread: I'm the watching the responses & the helpful suggestions. Can I ask - does the appropriate cleaning method depend on what sort of tiles you have? Some tiles have a "matt" finish and perhaps are not easy so easy to clean - either the tiles or the grout? I'd be glad to hear any comments about this issue.

Betty18 Sun 10-Mar-24 14:27:44

Just dine this at my son’s house . I used Hg grout cleaner which was pretty good. Then I used grout reviver to really brighten up.

Mt61 Mon 11-Mar-24 00:03:34

I have both Matt tiles & lappato tiles, if you have white grout, take the top of the bottle, I use flash with bleach, (don’t spray) & use a small paint brush, leave on for a few hrs or overnight, brings the grout up a treat! Steam mop or ordinary mop & bucket ( I lik

Mt61 Mon 11-Mar-24 00:06:38

Mt61

I have both Matt tiles & lappato tiles, if you have white grout, take the top of the bottle, I use flash with bleach, (don’t spray) & use a small paint brush, leave on for a few hrs or overnight, brings the grout up a treat! Steam mop or ordinary mop & bucket ( I lik

Meant to say I like deck brush for inside, then mop with vileda 3D mop to rinse, change the water a few times- worth the faff 😊

9228pauline Mon 11-Mar-24 08:15:59

Flash with bleach - just spray. Leave until the next shower.