Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Thinking of having varifocals?

(76 Posts)
Shelflife Fri 27-Oct-23 15:32:47

Your thoughts please . I am now finding that I am constantly switching from one pair of specs to another. For eg. Watching TV then wanting to read the TV guide , driving and wanting to glance at the sat nav on my phone. So many people seem to have difficulty adjusting to varifocals so really not sure what to do ?

tanith Fri 27-Oct-23 15:35:45

I found I adapted in a few hours.

Doodledog Fri 27-Oct-23 15:38:29

I've worn them for about 15 years now, and have had no problems adjusting. They are so much better than taking glasses on and off.

Most places will let you try them and return them if you don't like them.

AGAA4 Fri 27-Oct-23 15:40:37

I have had varifocals for many years. I got used to them quickly.

Bella23 Fri 27-Oct-23 15:45:05

I've worn them for about 20 years, I got fed up with losing one when I had two pairs and also the cost of having two pairs of prescription sunglasses.
It took about a day and a few trips. You need to tilt your head differently or I did. Still not good at judging stepping onto escalators.

NanKate Fri 27-Oct-23 15:47:41

I have excellent varifocals and I found it easy to adapt to them. DH found it harder.

Also I bought something called Occupational prescription glasses which are fab. They are for the computer and tv, but you can continue wearing them in the house and everything is clear, it is just outside and driving they won’t work as you can’t look at distances. Do ask the optician they are the best thing I have bought.

Primrose53 Fri 27-Oct-23 15:48:50

I did a similar thread a while ago. I couldn’t get on with mine at all for reading but driving and TV were fine. Then my prescription changed and I got talked into trying again, still no good for reading.

So i now have varifocals for driving and TV and ordinary for reading. I have spent a fortune! Luckily Boots refunded my £500ish.

My husband can’t understand why I can’t wear them for reading as he has used them for many years, no problem as do a lot of my friends.

BigBertha1 Fri 27-Oct-23 15:49:15

I have mine for a long while too - no problem at all - except the price!!! smile

Marydoll Fri 27-Oct-23 15:51:00

I love mine, also had for about twenty years. I got use to them in hours.

Shelflife Fri 27-Oct-23 15:52:35

All positive. Will probably go for them , yes Doodledog it's difficult constantly changing glasses . I thank you all for giving me your advice.

crazyH Fri 27-Oct-23 15:55:15

Shelflife - good, go for it ! 👍

Jane43 Fri 27-Oct-23 15:57:32

My husband has worn them for a few years now, he found it hard to adjust toothed at first but he persevered and is fine with them now.

Liz46 Fri 27-Oct-23 16:03:51

Like Bella, I had trouble with escalators. I was at the top of a long one, looked down through the reading part and nearly fell!

Mollygo Fri 27-Oct-23 16:23:59

Love mine. The only initial problems were stairs and spreadsheets. The optician said it depended how much I wanted them to work.

Chestnut Fri 27-Oct-23 16:39:19

NanKate

I have excellent varifocals and I found it easy to adapt to them. DH found it harder.

Also I bought something called Occupational prescription glasses which are fab. They are for the computer and tv, but you can continue wearing them in the house and everything is clear, it is just outside and driving they won’t work as you can’t look at distances. Do ask the optician they are the best thing I have bought.

This sounds like my Nikon Home & Office varifocals, which were for house, computer and reading. Also the best thing I have bought! Basically, tell them you want glasses for all those things, and the distance of your computer screen from your eyes.

I also got a pair of distance glasses which are photochromic sunglasses. They are my out-and-about glasses, brilliant for driving or indeed being a passenger on any form of transport. I do actually use those for the TV but I think the Nikon would be okay too. I just think of the TV as being 'distance' but maybe that's just me.

silverlining48 Fri 27-Oct-23 16:45:38

Best to avoid varifocals if you have Ménière s or similar problems,

dogsmother Fri 27-Oct-23 16:49:21

Love mine, tookto them like a duck to water but I’m sure it’s because they are large framed. My sunglasses are prescription and a little larger and if they are even easier somehow.

MerylStreep Fri 27-Oct-23 16:56:25

I’ve had them for 20 years. There was no getting used to they were perfect.
That was my benchmark so every time I’ve had a problem and somebody tells me i’ll get used to them the red mist comes down 😡

Sparklefizz Fri 27-Oct-23 16:58:37

Shelflife

Your thoughts please . I am now finding that I am constantly switching from one pair of specs to another. For eg. Watching TV then wanting to read the TV guide , driving and wanting to glance at the sat nav on my phone. So many people seem to have difficulty adjusting to varifocals so really not sure what to do ?

I am just a couple of weeks ahead of you Shelflife and collected my first pair of varifocals earlier this week. I decided to try them for the same reason as you - having to carry 2 pairs of glasses around with me and having to keep swapping.

Now I'm not at all happy with the varifocals as however I manoeuvre them on my face, I can't see properly. I am going back to the optician on Monday morning but I don't want to keep having to send them off to be tweaked, only to find they are still not right. My vision is fine with my distance glasses, and fine with my close-up glasses. I was only planning to change for the convenience of having one pair.

Several friends who wear varifocals also have another pair eg. NanKate's "Occupational Prescription Glasses .... but if I'm going to have 2 different pairs, I may as well stick with the ones I have at the moment.

I will see what the optician says when I take them back on Monday. They weren't cheap I was already worried about the periphery vision with varifocals re driving, and with going downstairs. I know people who have fallen.

I'm very disappointed.

Sparklefizz Fri 27-Oct-23 17:01:16

Regarding price, these varifocals cost more than my 2 separate pairs of prescription glasses, even though I didn't go for top-of-the-range lenses or madly expensive frames. Varifocals are not a cheap option.

Ali23 Fri 27-Oct-23 17:07:27

I wouldn’t be without mine. I remember that at the beginning the biggest challenge was uneven ground or steps going down. I had to learn to adjust my head position a bit.

spottysocks Fri 27-Oct-23 17:20:18

Have you considered bifocal's Shelflife? Despite trying for a couple of weeks of trying to get used to my new varifocals I just couldn't get on with them, so took them back and opted for a pair of bifocal's which suit me perfectly. I found them much easier to adjust to.

Shelflife Fri 27-Oct-23 17:34:24

How disappointing you for you sparklefizz! Good luck on Monday . I am fully aware that some people have tremendous difficulty adjusting to varifocals. They are very expensive and I don't want to be one who regrets my decision.
spottysocks, I have thought of bifocals , will be at the options on Wednesday for my routine eye test so will discuss my options then . I will also ask what their policy is if I do opt for varifocals and then want to switch to bifocals. I appreciate all the comments - will keep you posted!

shysal Fri 27-Oct-23 17:38:04

I couldn't get on with varifocals, but find bifocals perfect for reading, using laptop, driving and watching TV. Specsavers give a no quibble exchange policy, so it might be worth giving varifocals a try, there would be nothing to lose. That is what I did. Good luck.

Grannynannywanny Fri 27-Oct-23 17:46:32

I started wearing them about 4 years ago and was happy with them from day 1. The optician advised me to put my chin on my chest while walking downstairs or stepping off the kerb. I’ve followed that advice and never had a problem 🤞