Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Clothes Drying Advice please ?

(219 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 08-Sep-22 08:29:45

Hello

I’m sorry if this has been covered elsewhere; I know that we’ve had lots of helpful money saving threads.

I’m already trying to drastically curb my use of the tumble drier as it is so expensive to use.

I’m thinking of buying a heated clothes horse, or a drying pod.
The pod only costs 10p an hour apparently.

Any thoughts? What will you be doing?

Thank you!

Warbler Mon 12-Sep-22 05:07:14

One of the worst things hanging around are damp towels. I use a flannel after my shower to get every bit of moisture off my body before using a large towel to dry myself on. I also buy thin linen or cotton tea towels because they dry quicker.

Froglady Mon 12-Sep-22 09:20:34

I have a double storage cupboard in my hall and I hang my duvet cover from the doors with 3 trouser/skirt hangers (the ones with clips on) - it's dry by the next day. Fitted sheet I put over a clothes horse, again dry the next day and all the clothes that need drying I just put on coat hangers on the door frames. The only thing I still use the tumble dryer for is for towels. I am only washing and drying for me which does make it a lot easier. For the underwear I use one of those things with several pegs on and put it over a door handle using a clothes to keep it in place.

jpren6 Mon 12-Sep-22 10:43:15

If its wet outside i dry my washing on a clothes airer in the spare room the sheets go over the banister the washing is dry in no time

Ohnoyoudont Mon 12-Sep-22 14:47:05

I didn't like the lakeland one. Think it was just larger than I expected and took up too much room. I've now got a pod dryer called a dribuddy and I have tumble dryer too.
They both have their good and bad points.
The dribuddy is noisy compared to the lakeland and you need to use coat hangers too. The dribuddy had a timer.
It's more compact when up but doesn't fold small whereas the lakeland is small when folded.

effalump Mon 12-Sep-22 15:10:00

As my garden is like the Amazon forest and I can't even get to my rotary drier, I generally do an extra spin on a wash load to get them almost dry. I then put them on an airer in the bath and leave the window slightly open during the day and closing at night now the nights are getting damp. After a couple of days when the washing feels dry and just put it in the tumbler for 20 mins on low, mainly to decrease and soften the clothes. If I could afford it, I would buy a small de-humidier. My brother they remove the moisture and dry the clothes quicker.

Jaxie Mon 12-Sep-22 15:54:55

I read somewhere that a dehumidifier was more economical to run for drying clothes than a heated airier.

storynanny Mon 12-Sep-22 18:55:36

I’ve not got a tumble dryer or a Lakeland heated drier ( but I do have a Lakeland Remoska!) so in the winter I plan my laundry according to the weather. We are south coast so obviously that makes a difference.
There’s only 2 of us and we have plenty of clothes.
I wait for a dry day and wash all that needs washing. Hang it out all day til about 4/5 pm
Anything that’s dry enough to go in the airing cupboard goes in either on the shelves or on hangers and gets dried off next to the hot water tank
Anything still too damp hangs on the clothes airer in the spare room with the small window open overnight.
Never had a damp or mould problem and have never run out of stuff to wear.
I’ve turned into my mother and her mother!
“Mrstorynanny it’s a good drying day today gather up all the dirty washing”

storynanny Mon 12-Sep-22 18:58:21

Yes forgot to say I always do an extra spin.
The only thing I miss a tumble dryer for is softening up towels.
Once a year I take my freshly washed feather filled padded winter coat to the launderette nearby to bash around with tennis balls to dry and plump back up. Last year that cost me £3

storynanny Mon 12-Sep-22 18:58:59

Probably wouldn’t fit and fluff up properly in a home tumble dryer

Jaxie Tue 13-Sep-22 10:06:30

In the 1940’s/ 50’s we in’t north called the wooden airier illustrated the “ clothes maiden” - no idea why.

Razzamatazz Tue 13-Sep-22 10:08:55

My Mum in London called our wooden airer the clothes 'horse'.

MayBee70 Tue 13-Sep-22 13:37:01

Razzamatazz

My Mum in London called our wooden airer the clothes 'horse'.

Yes, we did too. I still think of my airers as clothes horses.

Longdot20 Wed 14-Sep-22 07:09:45

Sorry, feeling a little smug here, I have recently moved in with my son he has underfloor heating in the bathroom bliss! Drying no problem, over night on the clothes horse, dry in the morning. Socks I have even left spread on the floor!

silverlining48 Wed 14-Sep-22 08:46:51

When there is a bit of sun ☀️ and I don’t have a full wash load I go round the house looking for anything else that needs it. Love to see it out on the line. The sun is brilliant for bleaching marks/stains. Regrettably summer is on the wane and winter will be knocking at the door. It’s my least favourite season.

netflixfan Fri 16-Sep-22 16:51:23

I’ve had a dry soon from Lakeland for several years and I wouldn’t be without it. You don’t need the heat on all the time, you can just use it as an ordinary airer. But when you switch the heat on it’s very effective and economical.
You can use one of the towels or duvet covers you’ve just washed to cover the dryer to keep the heat in, or purchase a cover which fits well.
I too have a tumbler dryer for emergencies.

MrsKen33 Fri 16-Sep-22 17:22:50

I dry outside if at all possible. Otherwise we use the spare bedroom.

MrsKen33 Fri 16-Sep-22 17:23:35

Sorry posted too soon.

On a fold up airier

MayBee70 Mon 21-Nov-22 14:04:18

Maggiemaybe

I line dry wherever possible and use the tumble dryer to finish off, or when the weather’s really bad, or just pop things on the radiators if they’re nearly dry. I can’t stand a damp atmosphere so wouldn’t ever hang wet clothes around our Victorian house.

We bought a Lakeland 3 tier dryer and cover when some of the family were living with us for a few months over winter and had clothes that couldn’t go in the dryer (they’re much posher than us grin). I found it very slow to dry things and did notice some condensation from it, even with the cover on. When I checked out the cost of drying a full load the tumble dryer was marginally cheaper, and of course much faster. But even if the line dryer were more economical it’d take forever to recoup the initial cost.

The Lakeland did come into its own as an emergency heater when our boiler was out of action for a few days last winter. I wouldn’t want it as a permanent feature in a living area though.

I’ve just used my Lakeland dryer for the first time. I only bought the small one as it was meant to go in the downstairs shower room but I can’t seem to fit many clothes on it. My tee shirts fit on it ok but DH’s are too wide. It took forever for the socks to dry. Without the dehumidifier the room would have been dripping. To be fair the clothes didn’t spin very well and came out of the washing machine damper than usual. I think I’ll continue to put a clothes airer next to a radiator with a dehumidifier next to it.It might be ok to use in the summer on a wet day when the radiators aren’t on.