Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knickers. Easy to sew and good scrap buster

(44 Posts)
karmalady Tue 26-Sep-23 17:25:17

Some of my sloggis are wearing thin, so youtube it was, to learn how to sew knickers. I did have a go once or twice previously but never reached perfection

Scrap busting here I come

Foxygloves Tue 26-Sep-23 17:27:37

Why would anybody (with all due respect) want to sew their own knickers?
Maybe with parachute silk in WW11 ....hmm

AskAlice Tue 26-Sep-23 17:32:40

Foxygloves - just because we can?!!!

I find sewing very therapeutic, and would have a go at knickers just to see if I could do it. I like a challenge!!!

karmalady Tue 26-Sep-23 17:34:48

First I gathered my patterns, jalie, jennifer lauren, kwik sew and the new sinclair bliss. Last time it was the fit and all the patterns are a bit different, btw helens closet do a lovely free pattern, called acacia, not my style though

I started today by tracing from kwik sew, a size smaller than last time and that is what I have been sewing this afternoon. I already have lots of pretty picot edgings and fold over elastic. I used picot and followed instructions to the letter. Result!!! after all this time, I have made myself perfect and pretty knickers

I want to use this cotton jersey up and will make three more pairs, to replace horrible over-large m and s knickers

I am not going to mess about with different styles now that I am happy but I will be using fold over elastic at my next attempt as I have loads. I recommend it, if you ever have a small amount of excess fabric or even old t shirts

BlueBelle Tue 26-Sep-23 17:36:17

Each to their own but I can’t think if anything worse than making my own knickers !!

Shelflife Tue 26-Sep-23 17:38:10

Due respect indeed! but sewing your own knickers is not something I aspire to . I wish you luck though!

karmalady Tue 26-Sep-23 17:38:49

AskAlice

Foxygloves - just because we can?!!!

I find sewing very therapeutic, and would have a go at knickers just to see if I could do it. I like a challenge!!!

Alice is right. We are good at sewing and make much better than can be bought

oops it is megan nielsen site for the free pattern. This is an excellent sew a long

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYk7q_rqpR0

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 26-Sep-23 17:53:22

My goodness, none of my scraps are big enough!

PamelaJ1 Tue 26-Sep-23 17:55:44

One of my clients made underpants for Harrods. Back in the day underwear for men was very unexciting so she went in with some samples and they agreed to take a few. She soon had a group of home workers sewing away.
Who knows where your knickers will take you!

AskAlice Tue 26-Sep-23 18:05:17

karmalady, I am nowhere near as good as you! An enthusiastic amateur but I did pick up a few tips as a youngster from my mum, who was a Court dressmaker smile

If I try to sew knickers and they don't come out right, I'm going to use them to line my hanging baskets next Spring!!!

Foxygloves Tue 26-Sep-23 18:17:01

Perhaps I will be inspired to use up my leftover knitting wool to knit or crochet a new swimsuit for next summer grin

Mizuna Tue 26-Sep-23 18:33:54

I think it's a lovely idea karmalady. Pants to the derisors. 😂😂

Beechnut Tue 26-Sep-23 18:38:47

AskAlice, your last paragraph 🤣🤣

CoolCoco Tue 26-Sep-23 18:48:44

I’ve made lingerie and have been to classes. It’s reasonably easy, but you really need an overlocker to put the elastic in properly and to finish off. You can make silk French knickers fairly easily and a matching camisole, luxury for a fraction of the price it would be to buy.

cornergran Tue 26-Sep-23 18:48:46

There’s a bit of me thinking ‘why’???? While another part of me is envious of anyone who can make anything with a machine and actually wear it.

My last sewing attempt with a machine - in 1975 - saw me get a machine needle in one side of a finger and out the other. No, I don’t know how I did it either. Very pregnant as I was Mr C declined to get pliers and pull it out as I asked. Off to A &E where a bemused young doctor used what looked suspiciously like pliers to liberate the needle. It was followed by professional cleaning and dressing so Mr C felt vindicated.

Hand sewing I enjoy, not undies though.

Bella23 Tue 26-Sep-23 19:28:06

One of my friends was researching their family tree they found someone who was a knicker elastic threader!!!
Talking of French Knickers, my dear departed MIL thought I was not producing babies fast enough, so I got a pair of French knickers and a huge bottle of Charlie for my birthday. For Christmas I got puce camiknicker .DH took one look and said I looked and smelt like a large lump of bubblegum. No babies that year either .blush

annsixty Tue 26-Sep-23 19:40:05

Re the knitted swimsuits or bathing costumes as they were called in my childhood.
Just after the war my mother and her friend who was our neighbour took her son Hayden and me to Skegness in a caravan.
Mrs Woolley knitted us both bathing costumes in an oatmeal coloured DK wool.
Incidentally Hayden’s was the same as mine with built up
shoulders as was the fashion then.
I can’t say we ran down the beach and into the sea as anyone who knows Skegness also knows the sea is about a mile out.
But go into the sea we did and came out minutes later with the costumes hanging off of us.
The mums were in absolute fits the costumes were so heavy ., wet wool was almost on the floor.
That was the end of that.

annodomini Tue 26-Sep-23 20:07:45

70 years ago, in the first year of secondary school, we had to make a pair of knickers. The teacher helped us to cut them out. I think we all had the same size! She showed us how to make a french seam, which I can't remember ever having done in the years since then. As I wasn't in school the day she allocated materials, I had to settle for a sort of mauve lawn. They were a horrible design, out of date even then and I never wore mine. Don't think anyone else wore hers either.

Primrose53 Tue 26-Sep-23 20:11:05

Remember when Mary Portas did a TV prog with a group of young people. They had to design, make, brand, package and sell their knickers.

Around the same time a sewing shop not far from here did machine sewing classes making knickers. I am usually up for trying anything but I gave this a miss.

henetha Tue 26-Sep-23 23:43:13

I have the greatest respect for those of you who make your own knickers.
But I think I might not bother. 😊

PamelaJ1 Wed 27-Sep-23 06:53:34

primrose she also got a british manufacturer to make some. I have a pair in my drawer. I only wear them if I’m desperate ( I never am!)
Wonder if my children will ever take them to the ARShow?

Witzend Wed 27-Sep-23 08:46:22

annodomini

70 years ago, in the first year of secondary school, we had to make a pair of knickers. The teacher helped us to cut them out. I think we all had the same size! She showed us how to make a french seam, which I can't remember ever having done in the years since then. As I wasn't in school the day she allocated materials, I had to settle for a sort of mauve lawn. They were a horrible design, out of date even then and I never wore mine. Don't think anyone else wore hers either.

It would have been in the 60s, but we had to make what was then called a ‘slip’ - a full length petticoat. It was supposed to be to teach us how to do a French seam.

I doubt that any of use ever wore the things, and my Dm (herself a very accomplished dressmaker) was very irritated at the waste of money (we had to supply the material) and the fact that we could have made something we might actually wear, instead. (Though TBH I doubt we’d ever have worn anything made at school.)

sodapop Wed 27-Sep-23 08:54:10

keepcalmandcavachon

My goodness, none of my scraps are big enough!

Same here keepcalmandcavachon scraps definitely would not provide cover😂

karmalady Wed 27-Sep-23 08:58:13

Alice I am creased with laughing grin

They are very comfy and also very pretty, I am wearing some today.

You don`t need an overlocker at all, a simple straightforward zig zag, width and length around 2 x 2. The foldover trim looked nice after I finished yesterday, very easy. I prefer the picot edging but waste not want not, I have a lot of satin bias in my stash

Anyone can have a go with a zig zag. Unused t shirt with stretch and free pattern, perhaps might have to buy some cheap trim from the haberdashers

People get boggled at the mention of french seams, tbh they are so easy and give a lovely finish inside a garment. Just an extra row of stitching

karmalady Wed 27-Sep-23 09:01:52

I said scraps but I always buy extra fabric because of shrinkage etc. 0.5m will do for me and I definitely don`t wear skinny knickers smile. Prior to making knickers, they really were scraps and in my scrap box