Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Mad impulse buy (beautiful yarn!) - what do you think?

(33 Posts)
Witzend Thu 15-Sep-22 14:15:05

Hand dyed merino from a farmers’ market where we’re staying ATM. Couldn’t resist the colours! Only 2 big skeins left, 240 gm each, so prob not enough for a ‘proper’ jumper, but Dsis has suggested this, from a pattern book she has. Nice to go over a thinnish layer, so ?it’ll work!
Sundry other projects need to be finished by the end of Nov first though.

Namsnanny Thu 15-Sep-22 14:25:02

Lovely! I couldnt resist the colour
Sounds like something I would say ?
So, how big is your stash now Witzend? ?

Namsnanny Thu 15-Sep-22 14:26:38

I'm knitting with merino cashmere mix, it is lovely to work with and Oh so soft to wear!

Witzend Thu 15-Sep-22 14:31:29

Too big, Namsnanny! But apart from this, it’s all relatively cheap acrylic, which is fine for the sort of things I usually make.
I haven’t made even a child’s jumper for ages - I’ve made some the past for Gdcs but the other granny makes so many lovely ones for them, I stick to my charity/fundraising knits,

Doodledog Thu 15-Sep-22 14:46:12

Very pretty!

Why not look on Ravelry to see what you can make with it?

You can fill in the boxes on the right hand side of the patterns screen, select yarn weight, number of yards/metres and what sorts of things you want to make, and see what comes up. You can even see what the finished results have been for others who made the patterns you like the look of.

fairfraise Thu 15-Sep-22 14:53:05

That wool is absolutely gorgeous!

Namsnanny Thu 15-Sep-22 15:09:45

Same here Witzend with regards to not making jumpers etc because the other granny is more talented than me. So the gc are over run with clothing.
I'm focusing on hats with the soft wool, for charity mainly the Ukraine. And like you other projects using up the acrylic.

Callistemon21 Thu 15-Sep-22 15:09:58

It's lovely, not surprising you couldn't resist it, Witzend.

I made DD a simple poncho last year with similar colours, apart from the yellow.

Esmay Thu 15-Sep-22 15:33:50

Wow !
Beautiful wool .
l Iove the colours .
Have you looked at Drops design ?

Happy knitting !

Prentice Thu 15-Sep-22 16:13:42

it is beautiful indeed, I think I would make a scarf and hat.

Callistemon21 Thu 15-Sep-22 16:18:25

Esmay thank you, I hadn't heard of Drops until now but the patterns look very promising.

Now, browsing won't get DGD's jumper finished ?

DanniRae Fri 16-Sep-22 07:51:07

I love your wool but I am sorry I am not keen on the sleeveless jumper pattern - apart from anything else that neck would really drive me crazy!! I like the hat and scarf idea posted above

Good Luck smile

Grammaretto Fri 16-Sep-22 08:02:54

I'm with DanniRae on that pattern. A cowl or 2 and give one away?

LadyGracie Fri 16-Sep-22 09:40:58

Beautiful, what ply is it. I would look for a short sleeved or sleeveless cardigan, handy for looking a bit dressy or just to keep warm on a chilly day over a nice blouse or jumper.

merlotgran Fri 16-Sep-22 09:44:51

An infinity scarf would look great in those colours.

Nannarose Fri 16-Sep-22 10:21:16

I agree with merlotgran, or a large 'pashmina' style scarf

Doodledog Fri 16-Sep-22 11:22:38

Does the label tell you how many yards/metres the skeins have? That is a far better indicator of what you can make than the weight, as weight varies hugely depending on the composition of the yarn.

karmalady Fri 16-Sep-22 11:30:59

Yes that pattern is lovely, it would look well in hand dyed which is likely to also have been hand spun. The top does not need to be so long, it would look lovely in a shorter length with a longer length shirt underneath. Cowls do take up an awful lot of yarn, I think you would do well to alter the neck to a crew, easy to do as would be a gentle scoop neck

Beware when washing pure merino, it will felt if you look at it the wrong way. Lukwarm squeezing, lukewarm rinse. Roll in a towel and dry flat

karmalady Fri 16-Sep-22 11:36:00

I spin and always skein my yarn, then tie in a few places so that the yarn remains in the skein, do the gentle hand wash. Thwack hard on a chair outside while soaking wet, to relax the staples and twist in the yarn. I would do that as it may well not have been done. Then hang draped over a coat hanger to drip dry. You will get a better, more accurate knitting result. All you need is a co-operative person with hands stretched out to make the skeins

karmalady Fri 16-Sep-22 11:36:54

dry flat after knitting is complete

Namsnanny Fri 16-Sep-22 12:18:22

Great advice Karmalady
To be honest, if I'm knitting for others, I generally dont use yarns that need a lot of care, as non knitters expect fabrics to be easy wash etc.

I had some cashmere merino mix yarn drying outside in the shade, but I forgot about it and the sun reached some and bleached it to a lighter shade.
I was cross with myselfblush.
But I'm going to use it as an ombre (we used to call it tie dye) style yarn for a hat and scarf.
So no real harm done.

Others may find my experience helpful to remind themselves NOT to leave some yarns in the sun!grin

Callistemon21 Fri 16-Sep-22 15:03:26

Doodledog

Does the label tell you how many yards/metres the skeins have? That is a far better indicator of what you can make than the weight, as weight varies hugely depending on the composition of the yarn.

Yes, judging by length is better than by weight unless you are using the yarn specified in the pattern.

Callistemon21 Fri 16-Sep-22 15:06:44

All you need is a co-operative person with hands stretched out to make the skeins
That was one of my jobs when I was a child when yarn always came in skeins.

dry flat after knitting is complete

I have a piece of thick insulation material left over from building work, covered it in old sheeting and pin out (block) the pieces on that.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 16-Sep-22 15:19:20

Lovely colours and wool, I would have done the same. I just bought some lovely merino 4ply to knit socks in a really jazzy colours for myself

Witzend Fri 16-Sep-22 15:27:23

Doodledog

Yes, approx. 450 yards each - they are pretty hefty skeins. There were many of half the size on the stall. Yarn looks like fairly standard DK thickness.