Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What are you knitting at the moment?

(320 Posts)
ninnynanny Sat 17-Sep-11 09:02:05

I am knitting a red cardigan for my grandaughter but I think it's a bit big, will have to put it away until next year. I often have this problem with sizes, can't be bothered with the size swatch. I have bought lots of wool, if I see a good buy try to get some. Have some lovely wool now she is out of the baby colours, red, lavender, pomegranet. Hate sewing up though!

susiecb Sat 17-Sep-11 10:09:19

I am knitting wristwarmers in a lovely D/K that knits itself as Fair Isle so easy and cheap to do just straight knitting. i have very cold hands and arthritis so writwarmers are great for pulling on over gloves and rolling away when you dont need them. I intend to wear mine for golf as well. they work out to about £3.50 per pair. I aslo have a cardi/jacket in aheather mix (again plain knitting) and a jumper in King Cole Riot which is another lovely mix (plain knitting) to sew up - hate sewing up!!!!

goldengirl Sat 17-Sep-11 10:20:09

I'm knitting little blankets for premature babies. I found the pattern in a magazine some time ago and have since made half a dozen. I think I'll do one more and then try something else. I used to knit a lot but now I like something I can do either listening to the radio or watching TV otherwise it becomes an unintentional drop stitch pattern smile

glammanana Sat 17-Sep-11 11:03:19

I'm knitting bobble hat's for the prem unit,but also trying to back into the aran jumper for DS1 but I am finding it difficult to pick it up again.

Jacey Sat 17-Sep-11 11:48:39

I'm just returning to knitting ...taught as a child by my mother; not tried anything yet that needs shaping/joining ...so far a head band that required me learning how to do 'yo' and 'yu' ...then had a go at ear warmer/head band that meant I needed to learn how to follow/do cable. This came from one of the free sites a Gransnetter recommended on another thread.
I need to sew the ends together ...I'm abit confused about the range of methods to join knitting together ...which is the best to use please?

The larger project is a table runner with a moss stitch border. It was supposed to have beads as part of the middle pattern but thought that might be a bit too much for me at the moment.

I just love all these multi-coloured wools that are now available and have been amazed at the short video clips that can now be found on-line ...I've found them so useful.

Am finding it quite relaxing to do in the evening, with the television on in the background, as it seems to require less concentration than doing counted embroidary!

ninnynanny Sat 17-Sep-11 12:30:48

Hi Jacey if you go to garnstudio.com they have tips and video for everything.

greenmossgiel Sat 17-Sep-11 15:56:30

I'm knitting warm 'beanie' hats for seafarers. I pick up cheap wool from charity shops or ebay and knit hats (or scarves). It doesn't matter if they're striped, in fact, the lady at the Mission for Seafarers, where I send them to, says that colourful stripes are popular! Sometimes though, some of the hats have had to have a bit of pink in the stripes as it's not always easy to find the colours I want....! smile

janreb Sat 17-Sep-11 17:39:13

Main thing is a cardigan for myself, it's a DK and an old pattern that was my Mum's. Am also knitting a chunky scarf and a tiny pair of bootees to go on top of a christening cake.

artygran Sat 17-Sep-11 19:08:04

I am knitting a sweater for GS which he probably won't wear, but, as they say on Mastermind "I've started, so I'll finish"! It has a rather elaborate cable pattern and is taking me an age - since I started logging onto Gransnet, I have neglected it somewhat; it may not even fit him now!

Sue61 Sun 18-Sep-11 23:47:21

I've just finished knitting a case for my Kindle - it is lovely - pinks, orange, purple and white - I refused to pay £20 for a Kindle case. And it's much harder to put it down and not be able to find it in its bright case.

expatmaggie Mon 19-Sep-11 09:51:25

Im knitting clothes for a 6 inch doll which came naked with a little bathtub I found at a fleamarket. She is an impossible plump shape so everything has to button at the back but I have done one set of clothes. My smallest GD came yetserday and was delighted and asked for another set to change into.
As I love needlework I don't mind the fiddly sewing that goes with it, but I intend to start on cardigans for the GDs next. We don't have school uniform here in Germany so a cardigan is always welcome and I'm just waiting for my daughter to decide which colour.

Baggy Mon 19-Sep-11 09:59:44

I'm knitting a rather complicated cable and moss stitch DK sweater for myself. I've had the Jaeger pattern for about thirty years but only recently found the wool I like for it, a tweedy heathery blue from New Lanark. I've finished the back and just started on the front. I can only do a little at a time because of arthritis but that's OK. I'll get there in the end.

Jacey Mon 19-Sep-11 10:05:25

Thank you ninnynanny

Annobel Mon 19-Sep-11 10:07:24

I have an Aran knit cardigan that I almost finished last year blush. My bugbear is picking up stitches to make the bands up the front. I can never get it neat enough and invariably end up with the wrong number of stitches. Any tips?

janthea Mon 19-Sep-11 10:15:03

I'm crocheting a poncho for my 2yr old grandaughter. My daughter used to have one that I made and she wanted one for her daughter!! smile

Baggy Mon 19-Sep-11 10:16:05

That often happens to me too, annobel. I end up 'cheating' by knitting some together a few times on the first row if I have too many. Too few is a different problem, but it might not matter if the band isn't too stretched. Good luck.

Annobel Mon 19-Sep-11 10:55:22

Thanks Baggy, I have been known to do that too and sometimes ktbl to increase the number of stitches, but it isn't ideal!

pinkscorpio Mon 19-Sep-11 12:49:50

I've knitted a chunky cardigan. It's really cosy and the wool cost about £20. Yesterday I went shopping for large buttons. 8 buttons cost £24. Came home without them to search through my button box. I am now knitting a scarf with leftover aran wool on 12mm needles.

Annobel Mon 19-Sep-11 12:55:40

If you look on knitting supplies sites on-line, you might find buttons at a better price.

pinkscorpio Mon 19-Sep-11 13:23:55

Thanks for suggestion .I've recently retired and taken up knitting after some time. Didn't realise there was so much help on line.

Charlotta Mon 19-Sep-11 18:37:32

Annobel:I knit the band seperately and sew it on slightly stretched. The old dressmaker's rule is that if it fits on the neck and shoulders it fits properly and looks good. Stretch the band round the neck so that the cardigan fits snugly.

Annobel Mon 19-Sep-11 18:49:36

Charlotta, that sounds like a great idea. I might finally get the cardi finished!

em Mon 19-Sep-11 19:41:55

Since I broke my wrist in March, I've knitted nothing at all but today started a dress for my GD (13 months). It's the same pattern I did for her mummy 34 years ago. Need to get my wrist fit again as a friend has just discovered she is expecting twins in February so that means 2 shawls!

ninnynanny Wed 21-Sep-11 08:54:19

Finished red cardigan, took me over an hour to sew buttonhole band on, just got to sew on 5 buttons now. Horrible pattern to knit too much sewing up. Prefer knitting on circular needles with the main body and sleeves knitted as one. Have the knitting bug at the moment because of my grandaughter, looking for something else to knit now.

Baggy Wed 21-Sep-11 09:54:23

Check out the garnstudio site, ninnynanny. They have lots of free patterns.

www.garnstudio.com