Gransnet forums

News & politics

Aldi and Lidl

(80 Posts)
TerriBull Wed 30-Jul-14 09:11:05

With Aldi set to overtake Waitrose, have Aldi and Lidl changed your weekly supermarket shopping habits? I am a recent Lidl convert and I think I buy about a third of my groceries there now. How about you?

janerowena Thu 27-Nov-14 22:26:06

Ooh! Thanks Phoenix. smile

Deedaa Sun 30-Nov-14 21:06:36

Lidl's Amaretto is slightly more expensive than Aldi's, but tastes just as good as Di Saronno so worth paying the extra.

Aldi have got their really nice Paneforte and Ricciarelli in - half the price of Waitrose et al.

tiggypiro Sun 30-Nov-14 21:14:06

If you like instant coffee try Granarom Highland Gold from Lidl. Much cheaper and just as good as the well known brands.

MargaretX Sun 30-Nov-14 22:49:11

Its obvious that Aldi does its homework. You wouldn't get parsnips in a German Aldi. I like shopping in Aldi now but 40 years ago (I've lived here that long) it was very dreary. Just piles of boxes and tins, then they had trouble with staff, over controlling them and a lot left inspite of good wages.
Since going abroad they have improved and now the German Aldi is very smart and checkout staff friendly and helpful.
Still with twice weekly farmer's markets, I don't buy more than 20% at Aldi and just don't go to Lidl at all.