Gransnet forums

News & politics

Aldi and Lidl

(80 Posts)
TerriBull Wed 30-Jul-14 09:11:05

With Aldi set to overtake Waitrose, have Aldi and Lidl changed your weekly supermarket shopping habits? I am a recent Lidl convert and I think I buy about a third of my groceries there now. How about you?

MargaretX Sun 30-Nov-14 22:49:11

Its obvious that Aldi does its homework. You wouldn't get parsnips in a German Aldi. I like shopping in Aldi now but 40 years ago (I've lived here that long) it was very dreary. Just piles of boxes and tins, then they had trouble with staff, over controlling them and a lot left inspite of good wages.
Since going abroad they have improved and now the German Aldi is very smart and checkout staff friendly and helpful.
Still with twice weekly farmer's markets, I don't buy more than 20% at Aldi and just don't go to Lidl at all.

tiggypiro Sun 30-Nov-14 21:14:06

If you like instant coffee try Granarom Highland Gold from Lidl. Much cheaper and just as good as the well known brands.

Deedaa Sun 30-Nov-14 21:06:36

Lidl's Amaretto is slightly more expensive than Aldi's, but tastes just as good as Di Saronno so worth paying the extra.

Aldi have got their really nice Paneforte and Ricciarelli in - half the price of Waitrose et al.

janerowena Thu 27-Nov-14 22:26:06

Ooh! Thanks Phoenix. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Nov-14 22:24:03

Yes, you will be ok to use that Sunday phoenix.

ninathenana Thu 27-Nov-14 22:01:31

I will be buying Aldi prepared roast parsnips again this year. They come in a foil tray with a sachet of flavouring but I can't remember what flavour but they're yummy.

Anne58 Thu 27-Nov-14 17:18:46

Every little helps, as they say!

Just hoping that we can manage to use the voucher before it runs out. It says Sunday 30th, I wonder if that means before Sunday (no chance!) or that you can still use it on Sunday?

Other things that I've picked up are a very decent size foil tray dish thing for roasting the turkey in (99p) which will save washing up, and a twin pack of foil trays that I will use for the pigs in blankets and some extra stuffing. For the last few years we have had the three bird roast, which you cook in the tray it comes in, but this year we have decided to have a "proper" turkey, and as we don't have a dishwasher anything to make it all easier is fine in my book!

The foil trays will go into the recycling, so I don't feel too guilty.

Tegan Thu 27-Nov-14 16:58:37

I was at Tescos checkout today, running late so didn't have time to go through my vouchers, so the lad at the checkout scanned them for me and I had a £2 off voucher which I'd not seen.

KatyK Thu 27-Nov-14 16:13:37

I will do that Phoenix, thank you. I am always taking vouchers to shops and coming home with them still in my bag. I get so annoyed with myself! I do the Asda price guarantee (sounds a bit mean but it all helps). I have had four pounds worth of vouchers which were just about to run out. I remembered them today thankfully and got my little bit off smile

rosequartz Thu 27-Nov-14 16:12:41

My purse is littered with out-of-date vouchers phoenix. So annoying. [stupid me]

Anne58 Thu 27-Nov-14 15:22:43

Damn, I always forget it's not "cross" it's angry

Anne58 Thu 27-Nov-14 15:22:14

KatyK they have the testers out, have a squirt, leave it to warm and see if you like it. Oh, and they have just brought out candles in the same fragrance! Might get one of those for the sitting room, seeing as Waitrose haven't had their Frankincense & Myrrh ones for the second year running.

(Still can't believe I forgot to use the voucher, I had even put it in my purse so that there was no chance of leaving it at home.............) [cross]

KatyK Thu 27-Nov-14 15:09:25

Apologies - it was Chanel Coco Mademoiselle, not No 5.

KatyK Thu 27-Nov-14 15:06:48

In tests done this week, 90% of women preferred the smell of Lidl's new perfume to Chanel No 5. Apparently the two scents are very similar, the only downside to the Lidl one was that it wore off more quickly Lidl's is £3.99 and Chanel is £70. I will get myself down to Lidl tomorrow to splurge £3.99 to see what I think. smile

Anne58 Thu 27-Nov-14 15:02:44

Ooooh noooooo I forgot to use my voucher! Aaargh.......

suzied Thu 27-Nov-14 14:32:55

I recommend the Stollen bites and the prosecco in Aldi, and Lidl.

TerriBull Thu 27-Nov-14 14:16:13

Just off to Lidl AND with a £5 off a £40 shop voucher. Number 2 son back from Amsterdam today so will be restocking the cupboards ready for the grazer's return!

Anne58 Thu 27-Nov-14 13:42:54

Although someone has obviously been naughty ^ I may as well post while this has been revived!

Lidl currently have ostrich steaks too, as well as bottles of Bucks Fizz for £1.99, plus some very nice mens eau de toilette for £3.99.

Mr P has long been a fan of their XBolt (also £3.99) which smells almost identical to Hugo Boss, but this is a new one which I have bought for his stocking, along with some de luxe Columbian coffee 100% Arabica coffee beans in an attractive wooden barrel, so that's 2 presents for him at a total cost of £6.49. They also have large (300gm) jars of Nescafe Original for £4.86.

I was very tempted by some mango and vanilla ice cream, but will wait until the new fridge freezer is installed! grin

JohnSmith0001 Thu 27-Nov-14 12:13:13

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

janerowena Mon 08-Sep-14 11:33:33

jings they can also sell at such low prices because they cover Europe, not just the UK. 15 years ago I did all of our shopping at Lidl, as it was right near my son's school, and our german exchange student was astonished to see that we shopped in the same supermarket as her mother.

We now have Lidl nearby ( by which I also mean 5 miles away, as are Aldi, Teco is even further, and Sainsbury) and I am so pleased - as the Lidl is very close to Sainsbury, it means I can go to Lidl and then top up from Sainsbury. I shan't desert Aldi, though. They had ostrich steaks last week!

whenim64 Mon 08-Sep-14 11:12:18

That's handy to know, lefthanded. I went to Tesco's a few days ago, for items I couldn't get in Aldi, which is across the road from there. Having been absent from Tesco's for some weeks, I was shocked to see some of the prices had risen by ridiculous amounts. Milk is an unrealistically low price - a massive container for £1, then the next size down also £1 for 2 litres. Why is Tesco allowed to muck about with prices like this? Why do farmers feel they have to trade with them? No wonder they are losing profits when there are such stark differences.

lefthanded Mon 08-Sep-14 11:00:07

Having lived and worked in Germany for a year, I was quite used to shopping in Aldi and Lidl long before they started their expansion in the UK. I don't think of them as cheap. I think of them as fairly priced whereas Tesco and (particularly) Sainsbury's are very expensive.

They have a trading philosophy which is very different from that of the mainstream British supermarkets. The "Big 4" aim to have a certain percentage of their core items in stock at all times as they believe that when we go to a supermarket we want to be able to get our entire week's shopping in one go. So if, for example, the price which they pay for Baked Beans goes up substantially then they raise their retail prices accordingly as that is the only way they can maintain their in-stock percentage.

Aldi and Lidl approach things in a different way. They begin by setting the retail price of the item. And if the price of Baked Beans goes up one week so that they would not be able to sell at their agreed retail price then they simply do not buy Baked Beans - and for a while Baked Beans will disapear from their shelves. Wholesale prices fluctuate all the time. Aldi and Lidl only buy when they can buy at what they consider to be the right price.

I will continue to buy everything I can from them, and only go to the "Big 4" for things Aldi and Lidl don't stock.

Flowerofthewest Sun 07-Sep-14 23:05:39

Have been a Lidl fan for ages.

Deedaa Sun 07-Sep-14 22:56:47

Aldi's English plums are lovely at the moment smile

Anne58 Sun 07-Sep-14 19:01:50

Big Lidl fan here, nearest Aldi is too far to use. Only problem I have is that with some of their veg it isn't sold loose, so no opportunity to buy (for example) just a couple of carrots.