Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Leaving a job with no job to go to..

(15 Posts)
cassy Fri 08-Mar-24 19:11:58

I am leaving my job next week with no job to go to. Can I claim benefits like job seekers allowance? I chose to go as couldn't travel there anymore so had to leave. I'm 59

Am I entitled to anything to tide me over until I can find work for myself?

Cabbie21 Fri 08-Mar-24 19:20:46

If you have paid full N I for the last two years approx you should be able to get New Style Job Seekers Allowance.
If you have rent to pay and less than £6000 in savings you may be entitled to Universal Credit which can include a Housing Allowance.
You might get a reduction in Council Tax through your local authority.
If you qualify for certain benefits they may open the door to other help eg with energy costs, access to the Household Support fund etc
Go on turn2us and put in your details to see what you might get. Household income is taken into account for means-tested benefits. For UC there is a four week delay in getting any money but you can have an advance though it will be deducted later.
There are also conditions to fulfil eg to show you are looking for work. If you default there will be sanctions ie deductions
Hope this helps.

flappergirl Fri 08-Mar-24 20:16:27

I know that years ago if you deliberately left a job you didn't qualify for anything for 6 weeks or thereabouts. If you got the sack or were made redundant you qualified as soon as your claim was processed.

cassy Fri 08-Mar-24 20:29:38

I couldnt stay, my MH was suffering and the travelling was too much

Cabbie21 Fri 08-Mar-24 21:04:59

True, but the circumstances are a bit different here maybe?

LOUISA1523 Fri 08-Mar-24 21:12:36

You need a good reason....so stress would likely count...but may need a gp letter...so make sure its documented on your gp record... you would be assigned a work coach and expected to actively seek work....unless you intend getting an ongoing sicknnote...then apply for esa

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 08-Mar-24 22:43:32

Why didn’t you find another job before you gave in your notice?

BlueBelle Fri 08-Mar-24 22:57:06

GSM just what I was going to say
I would never leave a job without having something else waiting in the wings it’s just too risky

MissAdventure Fri 08-Mar-24 23:00:55

I think a gp can backdate a certificate, and the first week off can be self certified.

If you've not given your notice, I wouldn't if I was you.

May be too late though, reading your post.

OldFrill Fri 08-Mar-24 23:05:40

You have to apply online for benefits. Here's a link to claim JSA allowance, if you don't meet the criteria it will tell you what your options are. Claim ASAP, you do not have to wait until you have left work - that'll just delay any claim.

www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/apply-new-style-jsa

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 09-Mar-24 08:58:49

I really don’t believe that someone capable of work should receive benefits if they decide to leave their job without finding another one first.

M0nica Sat 09-Mar-24 09:22:31

Depends on the circumstances. Someone could have been job hunting without success for some time until the MH cndition got so bad they could take no more.

If the mental health condition was caused by the work climate, she could have a claim for Constructive Dismissal.

he main thing is that she has seen a doctor and if she was a union member consult ed her union.

Luckygirl3 Sat 09-Mar-24 09:31:22

I am sorry that your job was causing such distress cassy that needed to leave. But you are right to prioritise your mental health. Please go to Citizens' Advice and get help from them. They will be able to tell you how to proceed. Good luck in finding another job.

Cabbie21 Sat 09-Mar-24 09:49:09

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/check-if-you-can-claim-esa/

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/help-if-on-a-low-income/jobseekers-allowance-jsa/

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/benefits-introduction/what-benefits-can-i-get/

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/dismissal/check-your-rights-if-youre-dismissed/dismissal/claiming-constructive-dismissal/

Hope this helps

Georgesgran Sat 09-Mar-24 10:48:25

It would seem that the OP has, perhaps, shot herself in the foot.
I’m another surprised at leaving a job, without the promise of another. Despite citing MH problems in a later post, it would seem the main reason is actually being unable to get to the current job.
Hopefully with better weather in view, the OP will get some sort of work, even just to tide her over until something comes along.