Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Can’t shed that work ethic!

(12 Posts)
Cambsnan Fri 08-Dec-23 08:29:55

I am retired but busy. I volunteer, help out with child care, do classes with the U3A and the odd days paid work exam invigilating. Why do I find it so hard to have the odd day when I do nothing much. I just feel really guilty if I turn on daytime TV or read a book in the afternoon!

BlueBelle Fri 08-Dec-23 08:34:36

I think I work harder since I ve retired I do at least 20 hours a week volunteering often a lot more and I m on my feet the whole time, part of my original job was sitting related
I feel really ‘wrong’ if I ve got a day with ‘nothing’ but I m happier being busier so so be it

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 08-Dec-23 08:49:53

Me too! I'm 71 and my life is a ( happy) mixture of volunteering, childcare, classes and duolingo. I reckon I need to do all of this now, as it might not be so easy in the future. As my granny used to say " It's better to wear out than rust away".

Oldnproud Fri 08-Dec-23 09:00:55

Chocolatelovinggran, I just have to say that I love your granny's saying.
From now on, I will be using it every time than anyone dares to tell me that I should slow down or relax more. 😁

Redhead56 Fri 08-Dec-23 09:03:07

I retired six years ago I worked part time on our family business and at home doing office work. I spent over two years helping with the GC full time when they were born. That aged me ten years without doubt I also helped two awkward elderly relatives shop etc life was tiring when I first retired.

I am occasionally called on with family matters recently with a family member and a difficult health issue it’s been stressful. I knit and volunteer at our favourite club raising funds for charity. I garden a lot when the weather allows cook and bake every day and pickle when I can it’s my passion.

I go to the local sport and recreation centre for a health issue to do circuit training once a week. I walk our dog and do a lot of retail therapy I don’t sit down in the day time unless it’s to eat.

Retirement to me is fitting in everything I have to do with what I want to do. I do however object to alarms and I am not happy with timetables unless absolutely necessary.

M0nica Fri 08-Dec-23 09:32:43

You are either a Duracell bunny or you aren't. If you are a non-stop person, whether at home or work, you will continue to be one when you retire.

So don't relax, you know you will be happier if you fill a few more hours doing something.

With best wishes to all the other Durocell Bunnies out there.

fancythat Fri 08-Dec-23 09:40:03

Op, do you want to watch TV or read a book?
Different if you dont want to anyway.

Or worse, do you need to for your health?

biglouis Fri 08-Dec-23 09:46:13

I run an online antiques business and I put far more into that than I ever did into any employed job I have ever done. However I dont feel guilty at taking time off.

Just finished my order picking after a huge sale and am exhausted and drained. So I feel like a few days hibernating.

My last international batch gets shipped tomorrow with parcels going out worldwide. Then the autoresponder gets switched on and all my shops will be closed. The 10th may seem early to close an internet shop but I dont want unhappy customers in the USA buying stuff that is never going to get there for christmas.

luluaugust Fri 08-Dec-23 09:47:47

Definitely with your granny Chocolate, DH and I still do lots of things but with GC all grown up, one SIL about to retire, time does move on. We go to our local clubs and do a walk every day we can but life is a lot slower at late 70's and early 80's than even five years ago. The gap between how different friends manage now is getting wider, some still dashing everywhere others nearly housebound. Yes make the most of the dashing around.

crazyH Fri 08-Dec-23 09:53:22

I’m tired just reading of all the things you do. I’m jus so lazy and tired all the time. Good for you all!

sodapop Fri 08-Dec-23 12:36:22

I've noticed a big change since I turned 75 a couple of years ago. My health problems have caused me to slow down and I can no longer fit as much into a day as I did before. I have to rest between jobs now and that really frustrates me. I am planning on leaving my voluntary role at the end of next year, to give them time to find a replacement. I feel I'm no longer doing the best job and that makes me sad.
C'est la vie. sad

CanadianGran Fri 08-Dec-23 18:53:14

Cambsnan, if it helps, 'schedule' in your downtime. I have a bit of a Sunday routine which includes an hour in the afternoon to sit and read or knit while dinner is on.

My DH is retired (I still work), and his day is very scheduled. He is a very busy type that always has something on the go., but he does have 30 minutes of 'quiet time' after lunch.