Gransnet forums

Travel

Where are you off to next?

(86 Posts)
nanna8 Fri 16-Feb-24 08:44:12

Have you got a holiday booked? Where are you planning to go? Is air travel involved or will you drive| go on a ship ? How far ahead do you book ?
I’ve just booked us in to go to a part of west Australia we've never been to at the end of August. It takes a 4.5 hour plane trip for us ( I don’t like planes ) but it is so damn big here if you want to go over to the west. Looking forward to swimming with dolphins, maybe seeing some of the wildflowers and just generally going to remote areas.

Georgesgran Fri 16-Feb-24 08:45:30

As yet - just the foot of our stairs!
Nothing planned so far, but I’m hopeful.

NotSpaghetti Fri 16-Feb-24 08:50:19

My husband says he won't fly again for environmental reasons so we are working out what we can do to get to where we love.

I have a seaside holiday in Wales booked for next year though.

TwiceAsNice Fri 16-Feb-24 08:54:00

Going to Wales with family and friends for Easter (I lived in South Wales most of my life but we are having a cottage on the West Coast near a beach) In August we are going to America . Daughters and grandaughters just back from skiing in Bulgaria but that’s not for me so had a friend come and stay instead ( family all live in the same house)

Last year we went to Center Parcs in Holland, Turkey, and a weekend in France. Whilst I’m in good health I really enjoy travelling but would prefer to go with family or my best friend.

I’ve never been to Italy and Poland so that’s on the agenda at some point

Juliet27 Fri 16-Feb-24 08:59:34

Most of our holidays nowadays involve visiting our families in Australia. They are in NSW and as you say nanna it’s a huge country and one year we did the equivalent of your 4.5 hour flight from west to east via the 3 night Indian Pacific train journey. Much of the land was the dry Nullabor Plain but there were interesting stop offs on the way and it was an enjoyable adventure. I was impressed with and enjoyed the few days we spent in Perth but didn’t have much time to explore the surrounding countryside.

Redhead56 Fri 16-Feb-24 09:56:46

Wales in May for a week London in June a long weekend not decided where to go in September for our anniversary.

Aveline Fri 16-Feb-24 09:58:24

Currently on Madeira. Hard to imagine anywhere better. Photo taken of early morning coffee on our balcony.

BigBertha1 Fri 16-Feb-24 09:59:41

We are off to Portugal in June for DH birthday - he says the price of travel insurance will out price us soon if we add one more condition/medication to our declaration so this may be the last abroad visit. I'm not so sure about that and am planning a Europe City Break with my sister next year. Northumbria for extended family holiday in September. Its a popular destination with us.

crazyH Fri 16-Feb-24 10:03:32

Spain in May with my youngest son and family.

SeaWoozle Fri 16-Feb-24 10:06:20

Aveline

Currently on Madeira. Hard to imagine anywhere better. Photo taken of early morning coffee on our balcony.

Wonderful, Aveline. My parents go every January to get some sun. They love it and often send photos of the glorious views. Have a lovely time 🤗

SeaWoozle Fri 16-Feb-24 10:08:51

Due to an imminent house move we're not going far, but have plans to go to the west coast of Ireland in September. Next year is the Biggie - to Austin,Texas then to New Zealand to visit relatives who either have no inclination to travel themselves or are too unwell to come home. I'd like to see them at least one more time 🤗

Pittcity Fri 16-Feb-24 10:09:22

A cruise to the Norwegian Fjords in June.

Aveline Fri 16-Feb-24 10:09:36

Thanks SeaWoozle

Patsy70 Fri 16-Feb-24 10:20:00

Going to stay in Devon with my sister in her newly renovated cottage. So looking forward to it. Then, to Estepona, where my other sister lives and I’ll stay in a beautiful apartment overlooking the sea, near to where her home is. I love spending quality time with my lovely sisters. ♥️

nanna8 Fri 16-Feb-24 10:22:59

Some lovely places mentioned and nice pic Aveline.

annsixty Fri 16-Feb-24 10:39:45

I’m going to the same place as Georgesgran except it will be the foot of my stairs not hers.

I did have a week in Wales with my D last year, that was the first holiday for 4 years and it was several years before that that I got away.
My passport has expired and I shan’t renew it.
I couldn’t cope any more with early morning taxis and airports.

I think a time comes in life when compromise and acceptance are the best thing.

I know I miss my H more away from home than in it.

ginny Fri 16-Feb-24 10:49:32

Short break at Easter in Lincolnshire.
Family week in May, Norfolk Broads.
Devon in July.
Greek Islands in September.
I feel very lucky.

Witzend Fri 16-Feb-24 11:00:04

Asda’s 🙂.
TBH I’ve had such a frantic time lately, much of it 60 miles away helping with Gdcs while dd away for work for a fortnight, plus among others a family do 200 miles away, I just want plenty of quiet time at home.

Dh has just booked himself a concert in Berlin - not the first - are there not enough concerts in London for you? I asked. But he’s welcome - he’s addicted to getting on planes to anywhere abroad, whereas I’ve come to pretty much loathe airports and planes. A far cry from me in the past, but heigh ho.
And yes, I’d have called current me very boring not so long ago!

Urmstongran Fri 16-Feb-24 11:06:32

I think a time comes in life when compromise and acceptance are the best thing. Sadly this is us too annsixty.

Bella23 Fri 16-Feb-24 11:11:42

The top of the hospital waiting List if I'm lucky. One of two places one with a scenic drive, might see the Isle of Man across the Solway Firth.

Sar53 Fri 16-Feb-24 11:25:47

We have a long weekend in Norfolk at the beginning of May with the boys rugby club.
We are planning to take our boat up the Thames for a month in May/June and then maybe take it up the East coast/Broads for another month July/August.
September we are booked to go to Kos.
DH is desperate to take the boat out and there wont be many more years before we are too old to use it.

silverlining48 Fri 16-Feb-24 11:32:24

Wales for a week in May and hopefully somewhere in the sunshine later on.

maturefloosy Fri 16-Feb-24 11:35:58

Due to loving my dog too much and not happy with leaving him in kennels we have three UK holidays planned with him - Pembroke in April, Scotland and Western Isles in June and Cornwall in September - - I am not really bothered about flying anywhere now and just want a quiet restful holiday with beautiful scenery - and we have lots of that in the UK. With luck there will be some sun on the way . . . . I feel very lucky to be doing all these things instead of one holiday abroad for about the same cost.

Kate1949 Fri 16-Feb-24 11:37:25

Tewkesbury. Easy to get to from here.

SORES Fri 16-Feb-24 11:55:01

annsixty

I’m going to the same place as Georgesgran except it will be the foot of my stairs not hers.

I did have a week in Wales with my D last year, that was the first holiday for 4 years and it was several years before that that I got away.
My passport has expired and I shan’t renew it.
I couldn’t cope any more with early morning taxis and airports.

I think a time comes in life when compromise and acceptance are the best thing.

I know I miss my H more away from home than in it.

Thank you for writing this and validating my own feelings and situation. I cannot even go to the foot of my stairs as I do not have any.
I have expired passport and DL now, will not renew.
However I have my biddy pass which I will use with gusto through the summer and my Senior Railcard, best £30. investment.

Last summer I explored Coach Travel to Cotswolds, Bath,
Wye Valley, found it tiring and expensive, the designated day out not long enough, meet the coach at 4pm for the return journey, is this usual.

Concessions? really? £1 off for Seniors? off £21? £15 whatever, be it stately home, gallery, museum exhibition, concert.
When my Gran took us out, albeit years ago, she would flash her Pension Book (remember those?) and pay half price for her culture.

I take my hat off to you ladies away to Australia and far flung places, admiring your adventurous spirit, resolve and stamina.

Compromise and Acceptance, thank you