Gransnet forums

Travel

Cruising experience

(135 Posts)
Pantglas2 Tue 30-Jan-24 07:00:38

I mentioned on GM yesterday that we will be going on our first cruise next month, something I’ve longed to try 🚢

Quite a few posters commented - past, current and beginners and I thought it more appropriate to open another thread than continue there when so many are experiencing tough times with loved ones health etc

Like so many of you with unwilling partners, Mr PG was very anti cruising but, with his angina, he now finds the whole airport experience very wearing and no longer an exciting beginning to a holiday.

This first sailing to the Canaries with Saga is our taster to see if we like cruising and like the whole Saga experience which is pretty all inclusive.

I’d like to pick the brains of all who’ve been on any cruise, any cruise line and are kind enough to share their recommendations, dislikes, tips etc.

I really want to make the most of this trip and not disembark feeling I hadn’t done it justice and had wasted my beloved aunt’s inheritance 😊 - she’d be so 😡!

Any advice appreciated x

RosesandLilac Tue 30-Jan-24 07:31:51

I’m going to be following this thread with much interest, I hope you have a wonderful time Pantglas2

argymargy Tue 30-Jan-24 07:43:19

I never thought I would enjoy a cruise but we did one many years ago from Florida to Mexico and the Caribbean and I absolutely loved it! Thousands of people on the boat but it never felt crowded or even busy. Loads to do and food & drink on tap 24/7.

I would not cruise again though - they are so environmentally damaging.

Aveline Tue 30-Jan-24 07:46:52

It's up to you. You don't have to do anything you don't want to. Find the dining areas and see which you prefer. Of course you can try them all out over the course of a few meals. I'd suggest dressing comfortably and with comfy shoes. No need to dress up unless you want to. Don't like noisy shows? Don't go. Like relaxing with a good book? Do that. There's something very therapeutic just sailing along looking out to sea. Feeling sociable? Join a larger table at dinner? If not, don't.
The lovely thing is unpacking once then opening the curtains each morning and seeing that you're somewhere different.
Enjoy yourself. Your dear aunt would want you to! Bon voyage.

maddyone Tue 30-Jan-24 08:28:20

I absolutely agree with Aveline.
I’m sure you’ll enjoy your cruise.

Liberty Tue 30-Jan-24 08:30:43

We have cruised for many years with different cruise companies from Cunard to 2 which have since gone out of business.

We did our first cruise with Saga last year and quite honestly it is the best one we’ve done,for attentiveness of the lovely staff,excellent food,comfort of the cabin and areas to relax in,such as the library.

All you have to do is relax,enjoy being pampered and cosseted and just do as much or as little as you want of activities on board and excursions arranged.

I’m sure you’ll both love it and this cruise won’t be your last!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-Jan-24 08:54:39

We went on our first cruise July 2022, I was pessimistic and petrified. (Norwegian Fjords with Royal Caribbean)

I didn’t get seasick, we had 18 hours of choppiness but the ship coped as did I.

We didn’t eat in the large restaurants , but in a small one (max 75 covers) which was better for me, nor did we eat in the buffet which looked good with plenty of choices, we just do not like buffets.

I loved having a large balcony so I could get outside whenever I wanted/needed. I was up early watching the manoeuvres into different ports.

Smart casual was how we decided to dress, avoiding the formal nights in the main large restaurants.

Going from Southampton was easy.

Not sure I would do another sea cruise but I am looking at river cruises.

I am sure you will enjoy it 👍🏻

Cadenza123 Tue 30-Jan-24 08:56:57

There will be some sort of lifeboat drill once you are on board and before sailing. They will talk to you about muster stations etc.bIt seems that everyone else knows what to do except you! It will take a day or two to get orientated. Make sure you watch the shows, they were all excellent on the lines we were with. I didn't think that cruising would be for us but poor health pushed us to try. Have to say we enjoyed them. Have a look at Cruise Critic lots of info on there. Have a great time, wish we were going too 😊

BlueSapphire Tue 30-Jan-24 09:01:54

I always cruise with Saga, and have another one coming up in April.
I am sure you will love it, as I do; you will be looked after so well and be thoroughly spoiled!

Kiwiqueen123 Tue 30-Jan-24 09:04:49

Watching with interest. Saga boutique has been recommended. They do a 5 day taster. Never ever been on a cruise but Saga seem to make it easy ie picking up and dropping off at home. DH has mobility problems so this would be ideal. Look forward to hearing re your cruise.

Pittcity Tue 30-Jan-24 09:08:54

We've been on both river and sea cruises.
You can get whatever you want from a holiday on a cruise. Just think of it as a 5 star all inclusive (almost) hotel that doesn't stay put.

I joined the Cruise Critic forum and found a roll call for our cruises. We then arranged our own excursions with others which saved us a lot of money compared to the ones offered by the ship.
Viking include excursions in the price most others don't.

Don't be drawn by the offers of discounted drinks packages. Tea, coffee and water are included in your fare. Unless you are a big drinker it's cheaper to pay as you go for drinks.

Cruise lines vary as to what they offer and how they operate. Read all the literature especially the small print. Take out cruise cover travel insurance at the same time as you book but don't use the Cruise company insurance.

I can go on but won't.

We're booking to do the Norwegian Fjords this Summer.

Pittcity Tue 30-Jan-24 09:11:51

I was seasick on my first cruise (Bay of Biscay) but the room steward didn't flinch at the extra cleaning and I was given an injection in the medical room (expensive) which was a miracle cure. I now carry and take Stugeron.

Serendipity22 Tue 30-Jan-24 09:12:23

I have been on 5 cruises up to date and 1 is booked for the end of this year. I absolutely love them ( as you will have gathered ) i have been on cruises as both an able bodied person and disabled person and they are nothing but fantastic.

I have never been in an inside cabin. Had a balcony on 3 occasions and it was fabulous.

You can literally do as you please on a cruise, no pressure whatsoever.

The food is out of this world, the presentation is beautiful, the service second to none. From the cleaners to the captain, the politeness, kindness, manners, cheerfulness is in abundance.

The shows are on a par with London's West End, I was absolutely astounded by it all, i have seen shows in London so can compare.

I have never felt any negative issues, only positive.

The whole experience of cruising is perfect to my way of thinking. 🛳

😊

Bellasnana Tue 30-Jan-24 09:20:40

Went on our first cruise for late DH’s 50th because he wanted to. We went on a small cruise line, which is now defunct, to the Greek Islands and the Holy Land. I loathed it and vowed never again.

Fast forward a few years and DD1 graduated in the US so we took her and her then husband on a week’s cruise to Mexico and the Caribbean on a Carnival vessel. I loathed it and vowed never again!

Then, after DH sadly died, a Gransnet friend invited me to join her on a Princess cruise around the Med. It left from Rome so wasn’t far for me to go. I really enjoyed it and have since been on at least ten Cunard cruises with her.

Never been seasick even crossing a choppy Bay of Biscay several times. Love the sea days, not keen on excursions with lots of other people but you can please yourself. The entertainment varied a lot but some of it was great.

Far too much food, but very good and varied choice.

Won’t be going on any more, sadly, but it was fun while it lasted.

Sarnia Tue 30-Jan-24 09:47:18

I went on my 1st cruise with my eldest daughter last year. I had always wanted to go and it didn't disappoint. It was lovely waking up each morning to see a new vista and a different place to explore. Lots of activities, if that's your thing, or you entertain yourself if you would rather do that. The food was average on the MCS cruise we were on and my vegan daughter had very little choice so do your homework with passenger reviews before you choose where to go and who with. Happy sailing!

Pantglas2 Tue 30-Jan-24 10:26:05

Gosh isn’t this marvellous - all your different experiences are giving me a much bigger picture than what Ive read so far.

It’s interesting that some like the ‘sea days’ as much as the excursions - we have actually holidayed in much of the Canaries but not the ports we’ll be stopping at.

I believe there’s a full programme of events/talks/classes each day on Saga which I will go to (I’ll try most things once) and the gym/spa/pool will get daily use from us both in an attempt to keep an ‘even keel’ with our weight (see what I did there 😉)!

The 4x round promenade deck each morning will suit me after my early chamberpot on the balcony while Mr PG 😴 and
I’m so looking forward to trying the food in different restaurants, formal or otherwise.

If we enjoy this as much as some of you’ve done, selling mi Casa in Spain will be on the agenda to fund some more…🤔

Any tips on essentials to take? We’ve bought some magnetic hooks so far…

Aveline Tue 30-Jan-24 10:30:29

I'm very worried about the early 'chamberpot' on you balcony Pantglas!!

Doodle Tue 30-Jan-24 10:37:51

Pants i am so jealous 😊. I sincerely hope you love it.
DH and I have sailed over 15 times with Saga. Whilst they can’t control the weather, we find everything else is done well.
Food is good. Care and attention amazing. Ratio of crew to passengers is high. The crew are one of the best bits of Saga. Warm, welcoming, helpful and genuinely caring.
If you’re going for the entertainment, it’s not as much of a focus as on other cruise lines. There is no enforced jollity, join in or not as you choose.
Being picked up from your front door and not having to worry about airports is a huge plus.
Nice balcony to sit out in if the weather is good enough.
Really hope you have a good time. Relax and enjoy.

Doodle Tue 30-Jan-24 10:42:24

Another thing I love is the fact that you can eat where you want when you want. The speciality restaurants have to be booked in advance but other than that you decide when you want to eat. In all our cruises we have only had 2 occasions when we were unable to be seated when we turned up and had to sit in the bar for 15 minutes till a table was free (no great hardship)
We bought magnetic hooks too (never used them 🤣🤣)
Got any room in your cases for two small people? 😊

silverlining48 Tue 30-Jan-24 10:43:59

My Dh isn’t usually too keen on holidays but is always happy to cruise.
We had a balcony last time, small, but lovely to have the outside space.
I hope you have a great time.

Aveline Tue 30-Jan-24 10:44:55

I've also got a bag of unused magnetic hooks sad

Doodle Tue 30-Jan-24 11:03:56

Just out of interest is it SOA or SOD you’re going on. We like both but SOD is our favourite.

Mollygo Tue 30-Jan-24 11:27:14

I liked our ocean cruise, - the food, the staff, the entertainment (not compulsory) and walking from our cabin to the restaurants and back provided all the exercise we needed. Disembarking to visit places was a bit hairy sometimes.
I like river cruising better as I find it more relaxing. Smaller ships, easier going ashore, welcoming and friendly staff. We use Viking.
Food has always been more than good and usually excellent, though reading some posts on FB, you get a lot of moans about it.
Hope you enjoy whatever you choose.

Freya5 Tue 30-Jan-24 11:59:03

Was lucky to have had a cruise, with Princess, from Sydney to Southampton. Touching such wonderful places that I never thought I would ever see, met such lovely people, both on board and ashore. Pirate drill before we sailed into the Gulf of Oman, saw Jordan and Petra, Oman, Dubai, amongst many other wonderful places. Loved every minute of it, even the cyclone that chased us. Am never seasick.
So enjoy your cruise, it can be as relaxing as you want it to be. Or as busy. The food is amazing, plenty of exercise, walking around the ship. Enjoy waking up in a different country nearly every day. If I win the lottery I'll be off again, 🖕.

Aveline Tue 30-Jan-24 12:24:44

I'm another Viking fan. Both Viking Ocean and River cruises are excellent.