Gransnet forums

Travel

Holidays - when do you book? Where will you go?

(45 Posts)
grannyactivist Sun 28-Jan-24 15:33:37

For several years now I’ve taken a UK holiday in February. I don’t venture far and usually book it just a few weeks before. (Booked today for week starting 19.02.24.] We usually go away together in September/October time (Greek Islands or Croatia) and always book shortly before we go. I’d quite like to book earlier, but fear that health problems may scupper the dates if I book too soon and although we have health insurance I don’t want the disappointment.

What to other GNs do? Book early, last minute - somewhere in between? Have you decided where you’ll go?

Joseann Sun 28-Jan-24 15:47:03

We book a long way ahead. One reason is because we usually take dogs, and spaces are limited on Cross Channel Ferries, even accommodation wise. So 2024 x 4 holidays all booked up to September.
France and Cornwall.

grannyactivist Sun 28-Jan-24 18:41:25

Joseann we try to visit Cornwall at least once a year. We used to go for our multi-generational holiday (to the Helford River), but each year we needed a bigger house and the cost is now astronomical. Last time we all went I had to hire two houses to fit us all in because it was cheaper than hiring one to take us all. 😢

LadyGracie Sun 28-Jan-24 18:53:59

For the last few years we've been to different areas of the Welsh coastline.

Joseann Sun 28-Jan-24 19:02:31

Yes, grannyactivist, the price of houses for a week in Cornwall is bonkers, especially since covid. The bigger properties are in demand, so your solution is a good idea.
I've never been to the Greek Islands or Croatia, though they sound nice.

Sar53 Sun 28-Jan-24 19:41:23

We actually booked a holiday today for September. We got a good discount and only paid a fairly small deposit. If we cannot go for whatever reason we are prepared to lose the deposit.

jeanie99 Sun 28-Jan-24 23:58:36

We used to book when we were younger well in advance but not anymore.
We both now have a number of health problems, hubby is waiting for a surgery date and I have the possibility of surgery based on a MRI in March.
Our insurance with Allclear already cost us £1500 excluding USA etc and it doesn't cover cancellation of holiday.

El73 Tue 30-Jan-24 11:14:10

We book if we see a good deal on something we fancy, doesn't matter when really.
We've just come back from a few days in Krakow. Off to Cyprus in March.

SylviaPlathssister Tue 30-Jan-24 11:17:45

For the first time ever, my husband and I went to the Isle of Man. Well what an eye opener. . It was a cheap holiday in early. October with a railway journey company.
It’s spotless, no litter, wonderfully kind people, amazing houses and scenery, and fascinating history. We stayed in a unstarred hotel in Douglas and I was a hit anxious. As usually I would go 4 star minimum. It was also amazingly warm and comfortable and the food was delicious. Considering that it was really a bed and breakfast place, I was astonished.
Don’t miss the Keys experience as it was a highlight.
We have been to all sorts of far flung places, Russia USA, Africa etc. . But are now holidaying in nearer places. I always organise holidays months in advance because of Grannie duties.

Stella14 Tue 30-Jan-24 11:24:46

I usually book well ahead. Often more than a year. Don’t worry about the possibility of one of you falling ill and being unable go. Travel insurance covers that.

pooohbear2811 Tue 30-Jan-24 11:24:49

I work out when I have no hospital/gp/dietician appointments, and book something last minute often round school holidays if heading to visit grandchildren or none school holidays if heading off by ourselves.
Dont like to go much more than 60 ish miles away as I find driving tiring, and then just look for a last-minute dog-friendly bargain.
Plenty to see and do in that radius for me.

hazel93 Tue 30-Jan-24 11:37:01

Normally book early to secure our rental in Crete for us plus family but now DGD at school not too sure. Really don't fancy the summer hols. !
Also now living in Cornwall we seem to have a constant round of guests. Lovely to see them but a free Airbnb was not the plan must be a soft touch.

Salti Tue 30-Jan-24 11:53:01

We've never booked well in advance. Sometimes we've just booked the car on the channel tunnel a couple of days in advance and set off with no hotels booked in advance.

Even our honeymoon was booked with less than a months notice when my husband saw a cruise in a travel agents window and then made a very unromantic proposal. The next port of call was the registry office to book the wedding!

Purplepixie Tue 30-Jan-24 11:57:46

When I am good and ready!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Tue 30-Jan-24 12:14:09

We don't have to book or plan as we have our caravan on a permanent pitch on a beautiful forest site in Devon. We generally aim to be there for at least a week or two at a time outside of school holidays throughout the season when it is open from March to November when the site is quieter, but also have the freedom to just get up and go whenever we want.
No grandchildren to factor in, as yet, but no doubt some adjustments will be made should that happen!

Lesley60 Tue 30-Jan-24 12:26:15

I have just booked a cruise for mr Lesley’s big birthday, we have never been on one before so really looking forward to it
I am a little nervous though as I can’t walk far and it’s a big ship, my husband has convinced me to take a wheelchair so that we can get around more but I hate being in it

harrigran Tue 30-Jan-24 12:32:22

I have a holiday in early May, booked on New Year's day.
DS has included me in a family holiday in July and that was booked in the first few days of January. Family holidays have to be booked early because we like to have four en suite bedrooms and hot tub in a good location.

icanhandthemback Tue 30-Jan-24 12:35:34

We're off to Barbados. This is the first holiday in 5 years as I have been dealing with my Mum with her dementia and sorting out her affairs. My husband and I have a bucket list holiday each so this is his as mine will take a lot of planning with more expense. I can't wait.

Eddieslass Tue 30-Jan-24 13:12:34

Lesley60. Am sure you’ll both enjoy your cruise. Do make certain the cruise company knows you will be having a wheelchair with you. On a recent cruise I was on there were a few people who hadn’t advised them and they weren’t allowed to use them. Think Health and Safety rules meant only certain number allowed on decks etc.

Hilarybee Tue 30-Jan-24 13:14:59

The first thing I do about a year in advance is to book my dog in with someone who does home boarding, 10 days at a time and twice a year so this year he’s booked in 10 days in May and September. Last year we had a big cruise with friends, my dog was booked in over a year in advance as we needed specific dates
We have booked to go to Scotland in May and haven’t booked September yet but generally when we book we pay extra and get late cancellation, often allowing cancellation up to the day before we’ve booked. This doesn’t apply to flights unfortunately

Cabbie21 Tue 30-Jan-24 13:23:54

I have already booked four short breaks for this year. Two are on a coach tour, which have a limited number of single places available. The other two are singing holidays, again limited places available. All in the UK. My passport expired during lockdown and I haven’t renewed it yet. If I enjoy the coach trip, I might do so for next year as they do trips abroad too.

When DH was alive, I liked to book our main holiday in good time, to make sure it met with our requirements, but we often had a short break at short notice.
My daughter runs a UK holiday let and most of hers are relatively late bookings.

Gwenisgreat Tue 30-Jan-24 14:00:07

We have already booked our Llandudno trip, mainly because the apartment we like gets booked up quickly, one of the very few overlooking the sea

rosie1959 Tue 30-Jan-24 14:25:38

We have booked for Jersey already to secure ferry we want. Have also booked usual family holiday as we take kids and grandkids so to get the dates we want and rooms it is necessary.
But this is my husbands first year in semi retirement so as we holiday in the uk we can wait for decent weather book somewhere and go for the rest of our breaks.

Cabbie21 Tue 30-Jan-24 14:54:52

I meant to say I book with free cancellation so if the weather is bad I can cancel. Last time was storms and last year too hot to enjoy at 90 degrees F

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jan-24 15:00:09

Stella14

I usually book well ahead. Often more than a year. Don’t worry about the possibility of one of you falling ill and being unable go. Travel insurance covers that.

It won't usually cover you if you are just "not feeling up to it" though or similar.