Gransnet forums

Travel

UK Spa Hotel Recommendations

(40 Posts)
StephLP Sun 28-Jan-24 12:10:11

Our passports ran out during Covid and since then we have spent our holidays with family and grandchild in Dorset. However, the 'January Blues' has hit and I'm looking at UK hotels with swimming pools that DH and I could get to by train. I often spend weekends in London visiting DS and would prefer a countryside rather than city break. Trip Adviser is coming up with so many options but then often the feedback is not positive. Any suggestions please?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 28-Jan-24 12:13:47

Pennyhill Park, Bagshot, Surrey is fabulous. Indoor and outdoor pools, beautiful Spa lovely walks round the grounds.

The Grove, Chandlers Cross, Hertfordshire is equally fabulous.

StephLP Mon 29-Jan-24 15:08:52

GrannyGravy13 - thank you! Will look into these.

Patsy70 Mon 29-Jan-24 16:02:28

My friend and her husband recently stayed at The Spa Hotel in Tunbridge Wells and had a great time.

StephLP Mon 29-Jan-24 16:05:00

Patsy70 - thank you!

Joseann Mon 29-Jan-24 16:11:20

Not sure how country country you want to be, or how far you want to go, but Bovey Castle in Devon is great. There is a beautiful art deco swimming pool.

Joseann Mon 29-Jan-24 16:14:33

Forgot to say, nearest train is Newton Abbot.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 29-Jan-24 16:32:20

The nearest hotel/spa to me and one we often use is South Lodge - train station is Horsham. It is a 5 star hotel and the food is good.

But this isn’t just a dedicated spa - I have been to those but years ago, so I can’t really recommended one.

NotSpaghetti Mon 29-Jan-24 17:36:49

I think it depends on budget.
My son loved Rutland Hall a couple of years ago
rutlandhall.co.uk/about-rutland/

But if you really want to push the boat out (!) my daughter-in-law stayed at Cliveden House with her sister and mother before her wedding. They had a fabulous spa apparently.
www.clivedenhouse.co.uk/spa-wellness/

1summer Mon 29-Jan-24 17:49:31

The ones I have been to and liked are,
Hoar Cross Hall Hotel & Spa near Burton on Trent
Ragdale Hall in Leicestershire
Welcombe Hotel Stratford on Avon

One of the nicest spas was the Aqua Sana spas at Centerparcs a few locations but I have been to Sherwood Forest and Longleat.

StephLP Mon 29-Jan-24 21:26:11

Thank you Joseann.

StephLP Mon 29-Jan-24 21:27:44

Whitewavemark2 This sounds good. We stayed in Horsham last year for a wedding and travelled there by train.

StephLP Mon 29-Jan-24 21:28:43

NotSpaghetti - these both look wonderful!

StephLP Mon 29-Jan-24 21:30:45

*1summer - that's good to know. We were looking at booking a week at Center Parcs with the family - bonus if there is a decent Spa. The other suggestions look good for the two of us.

Imarocker Mon 29-Jan-24 21:34:14

Ragdale Hall is our favourite but dreadfully expensive.

dragonfly46 Mon 29-Jan-24 22:15:15

Ragdale is not near a railway station. It is lovely though - I worked there for a time!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 30-Jan-24 01:48:20

StephLP

Whitewavemark2 This sounds good. We stayed in Horsham last year for a wedding and travelled there by train.

Google it - their site is quite good.

Georgesgran Tue 30-Jan-24 09:16:55

Don’t know where the OP lives, but for a real adventure - head North and consider Seaham Hall, on the Durham coast. All the facilities you can shake a stick at and a sort walk to the beach - famous for sea glass. Tommy, the sculpture is a must to admire there too.

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jan-24 09:39:47

Yes Steph Cliveden was (they said) fabulous and not far from Beaconsfield, Maidenhead etc
It is, however a once-in-a-lifetime place though I think unless you are a millionaire.

This is the "hotel" part:
www.clivedenhouse.co.uk/

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jan-24 09:42:25

A friend went to Hoar Cross recently (last summer) and said it was "packed out" and needed work.
Maybe they have renovated over the winter?

RosiesMaw Tue 30-Jan-24 09:47:04

NotSpaghetti

Yes Steph Cliveden was (they said) fabulous and not far from Beaconsfield, Maidenhead etc
It is, however a once-in-a-lifetime place though I think unless you are a millionaire.

This is the "hotel" part:
www.clivedenhouse.co.uk/

I’d like to see Cliveden again but alas the OAP doesn’t stretch that far.
Many years ago I catered a wedding reception in that Thameside cottage but could find no trace of 2-way mirrors or whips! 🤣🤣🤣

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jan-24 10:29:29

Ha ha RosiesMaw! 😂

Birthto110 Wed 31-Jan-24 23:34:20

St Bride's Hotel in Saundersfoot?
Bath has a spa and you can stay in another hotel like The Bird and do some shopping.

Cossy Thu 01-Feb-24 11:08:47

Sopwell House Hotel in Herts in absolutely lovely

GrannyGravy13 Thu 01-Feb-24 11:14:47

Cossy

Sopwell House Hotel in Herts in absolutely lovely

Ooh, I have just had a look at their website, it looks fabulous.

I think a little stay to verify its claims is on the cards…