Gransnet forums

Travel

Warner Hotels

(26 Posts)
Winniewit Thu 11-Jan-24 17:51:33

Has anyone stayed at these hotels. Do you think 3days would be enough ?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 11-Jan-24 18:02:22

Enough for what? Or possibly too much if you read a previous thread.

Primrose53 Thu 11-Jan-24 18:53:29

3 days is fine. We stayed at Warners in June and Sept last year for 3 days a time.

Usually we would go abroad but husband was not well.

Short drive, welcoming staff, comfortable villa, very good all inclusive food, entertainment for those who wanted it was very good. Very nice walks around the extensive grounds.

Yes it’s tailored more for older people but there were some younger people there too.

Georgesgran Thu 11-Jan-24 20:15:17

I’ve never been, but SisInL rates them.
However, surely it depends on which location you chose and what’s available nearby that you might want to visit, which could influence the length of your stay?

Unsure, I’d probably start off with a couple of nights somewhere and see if it’s the type of thing I’d like to take further.

Georgesgran Thu 11-Jan-24 20:18:55

Should add my SisIL stayed at Nidd Hall and had a day in Harrogate and another in York whilst there. However, she’s one who always has to be out shopping!

Mancjules Thu 11-Jan-24 22:25:15

I have do e 4 days at Bodelwyddyn Castle in NW. Lovely garden lodge, tasty food and filled my days with archery, shooting and long walks. Wasn't so keen on the evening entertainment though. All in all would go back.

Catterygirl Fri 12-Jan-24 00:13:03

Went to Heythrop Park last January. Weather was cold as expected but so much to do compared to staying in a b and b. First day it poured with rain so we went to the cinema, a pub lunch. Then had a nap before lovely roast dinner, drink in the bar and saw a tribute show. We recommend.

Elless Fri 12-Jan-24 09:47:15

We stayed at the one on the Isle of Wight, we weren't impressed. The Jersey Boys show was on which was really good but everything else was very repetitive. The food was average, the décor was tired and not very clean. We've also stayed at Bodelwyddyn Castle at Christmas. I imagine Nidd Hall would be nice because you have options to travel into Harrogate.

Jaffacake2 Fri 12-Jan-24 10:39:50

If you have serious food allergies I would give Warners a miss. Several years ago Warners would adapt their menus to accommodate people with allergies. Since a change of ownership they have changed their policies. Now it's a case of if you can't eat what's on the menu there are no alternatives.
Unfortunately I didn't realise this when I went on a very expensive new year break in 2022. Dreadful service and I was left hungry on a couple of meals. No desserts, I was offered cheese no biscuits. I have anaphylaxis to wheat and nuts. No I couldn't have the ice cream as an alternative due to their stock policy that meant it was only offered on certain meals.
Restaurant manager and site manager recited company policy of caring for people with allergies. Yes by not feeding them !!
Went to Potters resort for pre Christmas break and they were lovely. Catered for me with some very tasty meals and outstanding service from chefs and staff.

Glorianny Fri 12-Jan-24 11:07:05

Jaffacake2

If you have serious food allergies I would give Warners a miss. Several years ago Warners would adapt their menus to accommodate people with allergies. Since a change of ownership they have changed their policies. Now it's a case of if you can't eat what's on the menu there are no alternatives.
Unfortunately I didn't realise this when I went on a very expensive new year break in 2022. Dreadful service and I was left hungry on a couple of meals. No desserts, I was offered cheese no biscuits. I have anaphylaxis to wheat and nuts. No I couldn't have the ice cream as an alternative due to their stock policy that meant it was only offered on certain meals.
Restaurant manager and site manager recited company policy of caring for people with allergies. Yes by not feeding them !!
Went to Potters resort for pre Christmas break and they were lovely. Catered for me with some very tasty meals and outstanding service from chefs and staff.

Jaffacake2 that's shocking. I have fond memories of using these hotels with my mother who had a dairy allergy, they always catered very well for her. Definitely not an improvement.

Knitandnatter Fri 12-Jan-24 11:12:18

I would give Warners a wide berth too. We have had similar dietary experiences to Jaffacake in the past and now we much prefer to go to Potters Resorts - all inclusive and NOTHING is ever too much trouble for the staff.

Winniewit Fri 12-Jan-24 12:30:52

Thank you everyone. Iv never heard of Potters so will check them out

cornergran Fri 12-Jan-24 12:50:56

Our experience of Warners has generally been a good one. We’ve stayed at several and once a year use Littlecote House to meet with friends for a few days as it’s mid way between us. Mostly enjoyable. I know now archery isn’t for me but I’m a decent shot grin. The entertainment can be enjoyed or ignored. Our one very difficult experience was at Heythrop Park which we found seriously understaffed. We usually stay for three or four nights, depends on the area and where we want to visit.

Primrose53 Fri 12-Jan-24 14:18:10

Knitandnatter

I would give Warners a wide berth too. We have had similar dietary experiences to Jaffacake in the past and now we much prefer to go to Potters Resorts - all inclusive and NOTHING is ever too much trouble for the staff.

We looked at Potters but we couldn’t eat 5 meals a day and we don’t drink enough alcohol to make All Inclusive worthwhile. It would be a very expensive holiday. I have friends in the village who go regularly, 6 of them, but they are all heavy drinkers so they get their moneys worth.

Primrose53 Fri 12-Jan-24 14:24:02

Meant 4 meals, sorry. I think £1,000 ish for a 3 night stay for 2 people is very expensive.

Luckygirl3 Fri 12-Jan-24 14:32:40

Butlins for old people - not my bag!

I have only been during the day when an event going on - but you can count me out for sure!

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 12-Jan-24 14:37:59

Not my bag either!

rosie1959 Fri 12-Jan-24 15:21:44

Primrose53

Knitandnatter

We looked at Potters but we couldn’t eat 5 meals a day and we don’t drink enough alcohol to make All Inclusive worthwhile. It would be a very expensive holiday. I have friends in the village who go regularly, 6 of them, but they are all heavy drinkers so they get their moneys worth.

Depends if you can one of Potters offers we went in September to Potters Hopton. We went for three nights at just under £800/as we upgraded to the hotel. I don’t actually drink any alcohol but bearing in mind if we had gone to a reasonable hotel for DB& B it would have been around £750 the extra was well worth all drinks included plus all entertainment and activities and lunch and evening snack(I never managed that)
The shows in the evening are top class and nothing is ever too much trouble.
My DH and his brother certainly had their monies worth as they enjoy a large gin and tonic or two
I even tried out new activities that I never would have considered and I can confirm I am hopeless at archery & laser shooting

grannyqueenie Fri 12-Jan-24 17:26:30

I’ve never stayed at Warners hotel myself, not my bag really. However a friend stayed at Nidd Hall a couple of years ago and invited us to spend an afternoon with him. To me it seemed rather stuffy and dated looking, maybe it’s had a makeover since then!

blue25 Fri 12-Jan-24 18:45:47

Luckygirl3

I have only been during the day when an event going on - but you can count me out for sure!

How snobby. Why are you looking down your nose at people?

Everyone likes different things. Why are you even commenting if you haven’t actually stayed at one?

vampirequeen Sat 13-Jan-24 06:26:05

We went to Nidd Hall a few years ago and really enjoyed it. We tried our hands at archery, rifle shooting, table tennis, snooker, and had access to the pool, sauna etc. of the attached health spa. The grounds were nice to walk in and there was even an adult size swing which was great fun. Food was lovely and the entertainment...well it had something for everyone so for us was a bit hit and miss. That said there were plenty of other things to do if you didn't want to watch the show. Also there was dancing every evening. We would go back to our room after the ballroom/sequence dancing but could have stayed until 1am as there was a DJ and more dancing. We went for 3 days and never left the site.

Luckygirl3 Sat 13-Jan-24 08:00:24

blue25

Luckygirl3

Everyone likes different things. Why are you even commenting if you haven’t actually stayed at one?

Not snobby - just not my thing. Spent a day at one and it was not for me. I am not looking down my nose at those who find this to their taste - each to their own. It very much had the air of a holiday camp - a very down at heel one.

vampirequeen Sat 13-Jan-24 08:42:38

I don't know if snobby is the right word tbh. Unless I'm a snob too because I feel that way about cruises. Holiday camps at sea.

Primrose53 Sat 13-Jan-24 09:08:56

Luckygirl3

blue25

Luckygirl3

Not snobby - just not my thing. Spent a day at one and it was not for me. I am not looking down my nose at those who find this to their taste - each to their own. It very much had the air of a holiday camp - a very down at heel one.

Guessing not too many of us have stayed in a holiday camp. 😉

henetha Sat 13-Jan-24 10:25:30

I always imagine Warner holidays to be lovely for middle aged, middle income couple. Not a worn out, working class single like me.