Gransnet forums

Travel

Tirana (Albania) - feeling a bit worried now.....

(40 Posts)
Loobs Wed 15-Nov-23 14:22:15

Every year my husband, myself and two friends go for a short European city break. In the past we have headed for Germany or Prague for the Xmas markets but this year I decided to do something different and booked for a few days in Tirana. This is not a package trip - we arrive on the plane and have to make our own way to the pre-booked hotel then find our way around then get back to the airport ourselves a few days later. This sort of trip has never been a worry for me before, my husband and I love travelling round Europe - mainly in a camping car, admittedly - but this trip is really bothering me. It hadn't crossed my mind that we would be in a country where the language is totally unintelligible to us - French, German, Italian etc. are easily 'brushed up on' prior to a trip but Albanian!!!! Anyone been there for a visit and got any advice????

CountessFosco Wed 15-Nov-23 14:30:50

Sent you a PM

welbeck Wed 15-Nov-23 14:38:19

use spoken translate on iphone.

Primrose53 Wed 15-Nov-23 14:42:39

Watch out for pickpockets and conmen.

silverlining48 Wed 15-Nov-23 14:52:30

Let’s hope some might speak some English. They usually do, and you could start brushing up your Albanian. I always like to learn the usual pleasantries wherever I go.
It will be different than Western Europe. Which makes it more exciting. Have fun.

Kalu Wed 15-Nov-23 14:54:31

Learn basic please and thank you plus use a Translator App.
Enjoy your adventure Loobs.

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Nov-23 15:23:47

www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/things-to-do-tirana-albania/

Even attempting to speak a word or two might make Albanians appreciate the effort!
A lot of younger people especially will speak some English.

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Nov-23 15:25:20

Older people might speak Italian 🙂

baubles Wed 15-Nov-23 15:34:27

I’ve been in Tirana, we managed with very few words of Albanian and a dictionary. grin

Beautiful country, enjoy your trip.

Vintagewhine Wed 15-Nov-23 15:44:21

My daughter did a walking trip in Albania,she said people were friendly and welcoming to tourists. Tirana is lovely. Just take the normal precautions in tourist places and have a wonderful trip. I'm quite envious.

MerylStreep Wed 15-Nov-23 15:48:25

We went there with our Motohome towing a smart car some years ago. If you want information as Callistemon said: find a young person.
ALWAYS have your bag in front of you. If you’re using public transport and you feel yourself getting crowded, get out of the situation, they are gangs of pickpockets, usually women.
That didn’t faze us as we were living in Bulgaria at the time and that’s normal.
Beautiful country and very hospitable people.

BlueBelle Wed 15-Nov-23 16:05:42

How strange that you were expected everyone to speak
English !!!

LauraNorderr Wed 15-Nov-23 16:14:44

I’m pretty certain that Loobs did not say that she expected anyone to speak English.
Think you’ve made an incorrect assumption there Bluebelle. Not like you.

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Nov-23 16:16:22

BlueBelle

How strange that you were expected everyone to speak
English !!!

Not strange, many young people the world over are very keen to learn to speak English.

There are thousands of language schools around the world , teaching English and other languages too to students of many nationalities.

silverlining48 Wed 15-Nov-23 16:37:55

We were recently in Cyprus. In our hotel there were very few guests from the UK. Most, but not all, other guests came from different european countries. When they spoke to the staff or talked to each other they all spoke in English.

Loobs Wed 15-Nov-23 17:01:36

No I definitely wasn't expecting, or wanting, everyone to speak English. Having just returned from a trip to Bratislava however, we got 'stuck' a couple of times because of not understanding what we were hearing/seeing (the words seem to have an inordinate number of the letters x, z and v???) - must make scrabble interesting...... I think what is making me anxious is the fact that I have organised the trip and want our friends to enjoy it. I have received some helpful information and will stop feeling worried (which is very unlike me to be honest) and take it as it comes. Mirupafshim.

Katie59 Wed 15-Nov-23 19:21:55

I always learn basic greetings in the local language, small hotels and cafes may not have any English understanding, larger hotels etc will. However you can get language issues where you least expect them, in Miami you may find restaurants where nobody speaks English.
Over the years I’ve picked up enough to order off a menu in Spanish, French, German and Italian, beyond that it’s google translate

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Nov-23 19:57:14

Loobs

No I definitely wasn't expecting, or wanting, everyone to speak English. Having just returned from a trip to Bratislava however, we got 'stuck' a couple of times because of not understanding what we were hearing/seeing (the words seem to have an inordinate number of the letters x, z and v???) - must make scrabble interesting...... I think what is making me anxious is the fact that I have organised the trip and want our friends to enjoy it. I have received some helpful information and will stop feeling worried (which is very unlike me to be honest) and take it as it comes. Mirupafshim.

Well I don't think Albanian is that similar to other languages so you wouldnt be expected to know it.

Knowing thank you, please, taxi, and where are the toilets might be useful!

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Nov-23 20:01:49

in Miami you may find restaurants where nobody speaks English
That reminded me of when we had a short stop in Miami and the woman directing customers at breakfast in the hotel had me completely flummoxed.
She was speaking English but not English I understood!
"D'you wannit to go?"

Oldbat1 Wed 15-Nov-23 20:29:01

We went to Albania from Corfu. The Greeks just couldnt understand why we wanted to go. Very interesting country with lots of Roman ruins. Butrint was anazing. I think lots of youngsters from overseas are encouraged to learn english due to following pop songs/groups.

JackyB Thu 16-Nov-23 00:57:17

We were recently in Berlin. Everyone spoke to us in English, even though DH is German and speaks only a little English and I am fluent in German.

Our youngest went to Albania a year or so ago - he didn't seem to have any problems getting around.

welbeck Thu 16-Nov-23 11:29:07

upload some clips of norman wisdom, as pitkin, being bullied by mr grimsdyke.
that will go down a treat with anyone born last century over there.

welbeck Thu 16-Nov-23 11:33:39

he also recorded a song in albania. www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Wox8jaW_A

Largecatlover Sat 18-Nov-23 11:30:58

I haven’t been to Tirana but other places in Albania. Hotel receptionists usually spoke a little English and even waiters occasionally. People were generally friendly and it’s very safe. Google translate is your friend. I recommend a trip to Kruje to see the castle if you can as it’s not too far. Weather will be very cold though in winter so be warned.

KG1241 Sat 18-Nov-23 11:34:00

Use the app SayHi, I use it for work, I use an iPhone.