Gransnet forums

Travel

The North of England

(102 Posts)
JackyB Thu 26-Oct-23 11:10:56

I grew up in East Anglia and moved abroad in 1976. Apart from a holiday in the Lake District and a short trip to Manchester, both before I left the country, I have never been to the north. Well, we did have a holiday in Scotland when I was pregnant with DS1, who is now 41 years old, with short stops in York and Lincoln, but honestly I can't remember much about that what with "baby brain"

My DH is a retired Latin teacher and not too confident about his English, and I feel a little resistance when I suggest going to the UK - certainly for a whole holiday!

However. I have a plan in my head to see the North of England next year. I have mapped out a route: fly to Manchester, head East stopping at York and then up the East coast to Durham and Newcastle, up to see Vindolanda (better check the spelling), along Hadrian's wall, then a few days respite and hiking in the Lake District, down to Liverpool for a couple of nights and back to Manchester for the return flight. (As an old 68er he is, of course, a Beatles fan.)

Ladies of the North, what I need to know are any sites of historical interest - mainly Roman, but I'm sure he would also consider the Vikings, (especially as we are starting in York which would give him a taster) which would make the route interesting to DH.

I've already earmarked vampire-themed Whitby and the breathtaking Cathedral at Durham for light relief between purely historical themed sites.

It sounds like quite a trek. I know, but time is not of great consideration as we've not had a holiday together for at least 5 years now.

So, what historical digs and sites, reconstructions perhaps. can you recommend which are vaguely along that route - the more obscure the better!

growstuff Thu 26-Oct-23 11:27:46

Personally, I could spend a few days in York and not be bored.

If you're going to Liverpool, you could make a diversion to Chester.

Casdon Thu 26-Oct-23 11:31:20

Homesteads on Hadrian’s Wall is very interesting and has a good museum attached, I preferred it to Vindolanda, because it’s more complete so you can imagine life there quite easily.

MiniMoon Thu 26-Oct-23 11:40:42

All the sites along Hadrians wall are interesting. Vindolanda has an ongoing excavation every summer, they are also excavating an adjacent site named Magna. One site which gets overlooked is Birdoswald Roman Fort near Gilsland.
If you'd like to venture into North Northumberland visit Alnwick Castle and Garden, the poison garden is fascinating.
The county of Northumberland has more castles than any other county in Great Britain.

Chardy Thu 26-Oct-23 11:44:02

Don't forget the people!
We used to go to away matches when DD was younger. Regardless of where we were, I'd send her into a chippie so she could listen not only to the local accent, but also the way people spoke. Often folk in the queue and behind the counter would chat to her (because she'd have a football shirt on), and were predominantly very friendly.

Casdon Thu 26-Oct-23 11:51:30

MiniMoon

All the sites along Hadrians wall are interesting. Vindolanda has an ongoing excavation every summer, they are also excavating an adjacent site named Magna. One site which gets overlooked is Birdoswald Roman Fort near Gilsland.
If you'd like to venture into North Northumberland visit Alnwick Castle and Garden, the poison garden is fascinating.
The county of Northumberland has more castles than any other county in Great Britain.

Are you sure about the castles MiniMoon, I think Wales has the most castles per square mile in the whole of Europe, not that that matters to JackyB as she’s going to the north? Thee are some fabulous castles in the north though, I love gardens, and thought Alnwick was gorgeous.

midgey Thu 26-Oct-23 11:54:39

If he is into the Romans Chester is a hundred per cent worth a visit.

Dee1012 Thu 26-Oct-23 11:56:12

How about Lindisfarne Priory.....lovely place to visit and site of a Viking attack / raid.
Dunstanburgh Castle and of course the wonderful Bamburgh Castle.

MiniMoon Thu 26-Oct-23 12:31:11

I stand corrected Casdon
After collating data for over 1900 castles across the UK including standing castles, ruins and castle sites (where a castle once stood and nothing now remains), we found that Dumfries and Galloway in Scotland takes the crown being home to 94 historic castle sites across the region. This bettered Northumberland, which is known to be home to the most castles in the UK, but our research shows that this north-east coastal haven actually comes in second with 81 castles!
Aberdeenshire is third.

Galaxy Thu 26-Oct-23 12:36:54

I think Segedunum in Newcastle is also sometimes overlooked.
Alnwick Castle is expensive but very good.

RosiesMaw Thu 26-Oct-23 13:19:18

Casdon

Homesteads on Hadrian’s Wall is very interesting and has a good museum attached, I preferred it to Vindolanda, because it’s more complete so you can imagine life there quite easily.

Did you mean Housesteads?

Casdon Thu 26-Oct-23 13:22:18

Whoops you’re right RosiesMaw I do - my memory is faulty!

Casdon Thu 26-Oct-23 13:25:48

On the castles MiniMoon, I’ve reached the conclusion that the difference is down to comparing counties with square miles - there’s obviously a bit of competitiveness about the issue, because when you look online there’s all sorts of answers. Welsh Government tourist site claims Wales has the most in Europe per square mile, but that’s not the same comparator as per county.

Sago Thu 26-Oct-23 14:30:49

Hi there, firstly look at this amazing site at Boroughbridge, it’s little known but mind blowing,

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwivpLWGz5OCAxVvRkEAHZwOBY0QFnoECBIQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.english-
heritage.org.uk%2Fvisit%2Fplaces%2Faldborough-roman-site%2F&usg=AOvVaw0yFgTXodg7tHx4ng6EcijP&opi=89978449

There is also the Roman Camp Nr Pickering

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj00ueN55OCAxUAU0EAHYj_BMcQFnoECBAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.britainexpress.com%2Fcounties%2Fyorkshire%2Froman%2Fcawthorn-roman-camps.htm&usg=AOvVaw2kSNThEB0p3koAZqt19i1p&opi=89978449

Ripon has a lot to offer, the Cathedral is beautiful with a crypt dating from 672 AD.
From here, Boroughbridge,York and Whitby are all accessible and you are en route to both the Lakes and the North East.
There is some really good self catering accommodation and a newly refurbished hotel The Ripon Inn.

Sago Thu 26-Oct-23 14:32:45

Link not working, try this.
www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjM-b7K6ZOCAxUVVkEAHeu6B7EQFnoECCIQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.britainexpress.com%2Fattractions.htm%3Fattraction%3D2716&usg=AOvVaw3y7lMDKQN7auKhB67WXuL0&opi=89978449

AreWeThereYet Thu 26-Oct-23 14:42:24

Bamborough Castle and surrounding area are gorgeous. As are the kippers in Craster near Alnwick.

Glorianny Thu 26-Oct-23 14:43:07

Come to Newcastle. Take the Metro to South Shields and visit Arbeia, a Roman fort which guarded the entrance to the Tyne, take the ferry from South Shields across the river to North Shields and bus and metro to Segedunum at Wallsend. If you are athletic you can start the walk along the wall. If not metro back to Newcastle and spend the night.
Take the train to Hexham and catch the bus for a journey along the wall stopping off at places you want to see
www.visitnorthumberland.com/explore/destinations/historical-sites/hadrians-wall/getting-around#:~:text=The%20AD122%20Hadrian's%20Wall%20Country
Just one warning our weather is unpredictable so bring waterproofs and woolies.

Galaxy Thu 26-Oct-23 15:20:59

You would need a swimsuit today 🌧

Georgesgran Thu 26-Oct-23 15:24:16

Aye, it’s hoying it down! 😂. X

lixy Thu 26-Oct-23 15:29:18

Skipton Castle is worth popping in to if you're going anywhere near Harrogate. Also RHS Harlow Carr if you have any interest in plants.

Jjanl Thu 26-Oct-23 15:31:35

I live in the North East. It’s a fabulous place with a lot of history. Beautiful beaches, totally unspoiled. Do take time on your journey to visit Beamish Museum. It’s a living museum which depicts the history of North East people. There is so much to see in the North East you’ll need a good couple of weeks.

Shelflife Thu 26-Oct-23 15:35:13

Don't forget the beautiful Yorkshire Dales!!! Have a safe and wonderful adventure next year!

AreWeThereYet Thu 26-Oct-23 15:38:11

Beamish is beautiful and we love Hexham.

If you're book people there is Barter Books (second hand books) at Alnwick. Thousands of books of all types. You can sit and read for hours and they have a lovely cafe. Perfect for a rest after walking Alnwick and the castle.

Galaxy Thu 26-Oct-23 16:19:45

Beamish is excellent. One day I will go when there is no queue at the fish and chip shop.

growstuff Thu 26-Oct-23 16:24:02

Glorianny

Come to Newcastle. Take the Metro to South Shields and visit Arbeia, a Roman fort which guarded the entrance to the Tyne, take the ferry from South Shields across the river to North Shields and bus and metro to Segedunum at Wallsend. If you are athletic you can start the walk along the wall. If not metro back to Newcastle and spend the night.
Take the train to Hexham and catch the bus for a journey along the wall stopping off at places you want to see
www.visitnorthumberland.com/explore/destinations/historical-sites/hadrians-wall/getting-around#:~:text=The%20AD122%20Hadrian's%20Wall%20Country
Just one warning our weather is unpredictable so bring waterproofs and woolies.

Pah! I thought Geordies view people with warm clothing as wimps! wink