Gransnet forums

Travel

Canaries - recommendations

(78 Posts)
PreGran Sun 13-Aug-23 22:58:50

Hi,
We are thinking of going to either Tenerife, Lanzarote or Fuerteventura early in December.
We'll be taking my dad who is in his 80s.
We'd like to be coastal. We'd like somewhere with nice restaurants, nice walks, shops but not busy nightlife.
We'd like decent weather - warmish, dry and not too windy.
We have no idea which island to choose as we have no experince of any.

Which island and resort do you think would suit us?
Thank you

Attlee Sun 13-Aug-23 23:10:00

Feureteventura has strong winds, as did Lanzarote when we were there
We have been to Tenerife a few times, last time was a January, Los Gigantes. It was cool until about 10 am, then glorious weather. We went to some very good restaurants and I foolishly wore flip flops on the flight home, when there was deep snow on the ground

Grannmarie Sun 13-Aug-23 23:18:53

Hello 👋 Pregran! We have had wonderful holidays in Gran Canaria. Our favourite resorts were Puerto Mogan and Maspalomas. Both coastal and well suited to couples and families.
I hope you all have a wonderful holiday.

glammagran Sun 13-Aug-23 23:20:16

We visited Feurteventura in May (age 73 and 67) staying in Corralejo. It was pretty windy but as I understand it’s not windy outside of the summer months. It’s not really a place for nightlife but I can’t speak for other resorts. You can certainly walk around but watch out for electric scooters though I suspect these are ubiquitous everywhere now. Our hotel/resort was fine but we weren’t bowled over by the food anywhere. Drinks are reasonably priced as it’s a duty free island. We could get very good cava for €3 a glass. The whole island is a lunar landscape although the resorts are planted up. Overall I preferred Tenerife (the South has more reliable weather). Costa Adeje is very nice as a more upmarket resort.

If you are after peace and quiet book into an adults only hotel. We did and weren’t disappointed with that aspect.

MissChateline Mon 14-Aug-23 04:28:00

My, by now ex(ish) wife bought an apartment on the island of La Palma with almost no discussion with me about how we were going to use the place. We became separated at the start of lockdown and she is still there. I visit occasionally.
The island itself is the most beautiful of all the Canary Islands. It’s lush and green. It has lovely restaurants and the hiking is spectacular. But it’s as boring as anything and unless you speak Spanish it’s very difficult.
We occasionally meet up on Gran Canaria and stay in Las Palmas. It’s not a resort as I would never stay on one but a lovely town with a beach. Good bus service and great restaurants. The music festival WOMAD is scheduled to be there at the start of November. The shops are great and there is a lovely promenade.
My wife is considering moving there next year ( without me!)

Primrose53 Mon 14-Aug-23 09:24:40

We have had lovely holidays on Gran Canaria, Tenerife, Lanzarote. Lanzarote was just once because we preferred the others. Tenerife we have been to many times and stayed at Costa Adeje but travelled around a lot too. Gran Canaria we stayed at Maspalomas. Be warned it has fabulous sand dunes but there are areas in the dunes for gay sex, straight sex and anything goes areas. We were shocked but if you google it you will see what I mean. 🤣

Casdon Mon 14-Aug-23 09:35:11

Did you discount Gran Canaria PreGran? If not, my favourite resort in the Canaries is Puerto Mogan, it’s on the south coast which is warmer, and it’s very pretty with lots of restaurants etc. but not a rowdy nightlife, it would be perfect for what you are looking for I think. Fuerteventura was windy both times I’ve been, but it was also pretty. I’m not a fan of Tenerife, it’s too built up, but I enjoyed La Gomera, which is a short ferry ride away. And has some beautiful sights. . Lanzarote is quite barren, and popular with young people, not sure I’d go again. You definitely need to hire a car there I think.

shysal Mon 14-Aug-23 10:06:54

I used to holiday in the Canaries several times a year and my favourite resort was Caleta de Fuste on Fuerteventura. This was some years ago so I expect it has been developed more, but it used to be quiet and had miles of flat coastal walks where I loved watching and feeding the chipmunks. They were cute but I read that they are now considered a pest and feeding is discouraged.

BigBertha1 Mon 14-Aug-23 10:16:47

Thank you for this thread we are on the point of booking a winter break in Gran Canaria so glad to hear recommendations. We have only been once to Tenerife and didn't really enjoy it.

Charleygirl5 Mon 14-Aug-23 10:30:08

I have been so many times but I would never stay in the south because for me it was too hot. My preference is Tenerife, Puerto de la Cruz with lovely backstreet restaurants for dining at half the price of those on the main streets.

There were some dullish days but it was always warm. This thread has put me in the mood!

eazybee Mon 14-Aug-23 11:50:57

Silly me; my response was to think surely no-one keeps caged birds now!

HousePlantQueen Mon 14-Aug-23 12:36:18

We have booked for Puerto Mogan in Gran Canaria for next February, it looks rather nice with the waterfront restaurants. We have been to Lanzarote, it is an interesting place to visit, but once was enough. Fuerteventura is windy, Las Palma very quiet.

Why not try a cruise to the Canaries? Then you can get a taster of a few of them, and if the weather isn't brilliant one day, you can always attend a lecture or something on ship! It is lovely to go to sleep and wake up at a different place in the morning, and it would be a calm safe way of travelling for your Father.

Shinamae Mon 14-Aug-23 12:42:20

We went to Gran Canaria last October, purely because the weather was warmer there as we left it so late to book..
View from our hotel room

Farmor15 Mon 14-Aug-23 12:50:54

We went to Gran Canaria last February - first visit to any of the Canaries. We opted to stay in Las Palmas as we prefer city break type holidays to lounging by a pool. We really enjoyed it - we were there for Carnival - the pre-Lent festival and there was lots going on. Weather in North of Gran Canaria isn't as warm or sunny as South, where the resorts are, but it was never cold. Great bus services around the city and the island.

PinkCosmos Mon 14-Aug-23 13:11:56

We have been to Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote over the last few years.

Fuertaventura - we stayed in Caleta del Fuste in February. I was very windy. However, there was along flat prom that was nice to walk along and the resort was fairly flat generally

Lanzarote - stayed in Costa Teguise. Quite a busy resort with a decent prom and good restaurants. Also fairly flat.

Gran Canaria - we stayed in Amadores which was a bit quiet as there was only one beach and a row of restaurants. It was also quite hilly walking away from the beach to the hotels. It was easy to get around on the local bus. We preferred Puerto Mogan. Whilst it is small, there is more going on. There is a lovely section with traditional houses covered with bougainvillea - you see it on all the photos. There is a good choice of restaurants and a smallish beach. You can also walk around the harbour quite easily. There is a boat to Puerto Rico.

Tenerife - we have stayed in Costa Adeje which merges together with Los Americas and Los Christianos. I thought Los A and Los C had a bit of a reputation as party places but I don't think it is as bad as it was. You can walk all the way along the prom passing along all three resorts. Some sections are nicer than others. We preferred Costa Adeje and El Duque beach as they felt a bit more upmarket. It is a bit steep to walk in parts when you are going away from the beach area. There are lots of good restaurants.

Of the three we have visited, Costa Adeje, Tenerife would be my favourite followed by Puerto Mogan, Gran Canaria.

Grandma70s Mon 14-Aug-23 13:18:41

eazybee

Silly me; my response was to think surely no-one keeps caged birds now!

I was expecting a thread about little singing yellow birds.

Primrose53 Mon 14-Aug-23 15:36:29

Farmor15

We went to Gran Canaria last February - first visit to any of the Canaries. We opted to stay in Las Palmas as we prefer city break type holidays to lounging by a pool. We really enjoyed it - we were there for Carnival - the pre-Lent festival and there was lots going on. Weather in North of Gran Canaria isn't as warm or sunny as South, where the resorts are, but it was never cold. Great bus services around the city and the island.

A bit of useless info. My Uncle and his brother went to Gran Canaria in the early 50s and built the first hotels out there. They stayed several years and 2 of my cousins were born there and have African passports as that’s where they had to register the births. They had african maids and a beautiful house and when they returned to Ireland they named their house “Las Palmas”.

MissChateline Mon 14-Aug-23 16:04:16

We stay at the Santa Catalina hotel in Las Palmas. It’s beautiful and an outstanding hotel with a Michelin star restaurant. My great grandfather used to take his annual holidays on a banana boat from England around the Canary Islands calling in to the port on la Palma where we have an apartment.

Auntieflo Mon 14-Aug-23 16:34:11

After thinking the yellow sort! I can recommend Porto Mogan.

Blondiescot Mon 14-Aug-23 16:43:01

Fuerteventure is our favourite, Caleta de Fuste in particular. It's never been too windy when we've been there, unlike Lanzarote.

TerriBull Mon 14-Aug-23 16:54:41

The Canaries are a great getaway for winter sun, we've always been in December, pre Christmas, temperatures mid to late 20s, hot enough!. Twice to Gran Canaria, Meloneras, good for shops and restaurants. The capital Las Palmas is pretty big for an island and has plenty of shopping opportunities. Lots of pretty villages and small towns in the interior of the island. Have also been to Tenerife which I enjoyed, I can't for the life of me remember the area where we stayed but it was nice. I remember a mountain coming into view when the plane was about to land, Mount Teide I believe, I wasn't expecting it, but there it was!

I imagine all the islands have their pluses, I'd go again for winter sun, except I've decided of late, I find the actual getting on an aeroplane, even though I've done it umpteen times, ruins the experience of going away, although I'm always glad when I get there, trouble is, it's another flight back home sad

Casdon Mon 14-Aug-23 16:58:31

Blondiescot

Fuerteventure is our favourite, Caleta de Fuste in particular. It's never been too windy when we've been there, unlike Lanzarote.

I think you’ve been lucky, Fuerteventura actually means strong winds in Spanish. It’s nice in the summer to have a wind, but we went in February, and the wind was very cool, we needed jackets all week.

shysal Mon 14-Aug-23 17:41:02

I visited Fuerteventura several times and don't recall it being windy!

Blondiescot Mon 14-Aug-23 17:54:59

Casdon

Blondiescot

I think you’ve been lucky, Fuerteventura actually means strong winds in Spanish. It’s nice in the summer to have a wind, but we went in February, and the wind was very cool, we needed jackets all week.

First time we visited, it was a February and we never needed jackets (but then, we are hardy Scots)! We found Lanzarote to be far windier.

Primrose53 Mon 14-Aug-23 17:59:27

We went to Lanzarote in July and the winds in the evening were cool. Definitely needed your arms covering.