Gransnet forums

Travel

Where’s your favourite holiday destination

(59 Posts)
multicolourswapshop Sat 12-Aug-23 04:05:17

Hello my friends, my favourite holiday destination was Japan many years ago where my late husband and I went skiing off the mainland to Okido followed by a few days in Kyoto.we befriended a couple of Japanese Ken and Maysayo who hired a car to take us out and about we had great fun

Imarocker Sat 12-Aug-23 09:13:55

If I am sightseeing I would have to say India. DD and I have had two wonderful holidays there. However we are just about to go away to Gran Canaria for an adults only, all inclusive holiday. We were there last year and no holiday has ever been as relaxing and refreshing as that one was. Thought we could have been anywhere hot. We didn’t leave the hotel. Holiday of a lifetime was Antarctica. I just wish I could afford to go back.

Luckygirl3 Sat 12-Aug-23 09:50:30

West Wales - hard to beat.

henetha Sat 12-Aug-23 09:54:05

I don't really have a favourite as I like so many places, which is why I loved my years of travelling in a camper-van. But my favourite country to travel in is definitely France.

Grandmabatty Sat 12-Aug-23 09:57:31

I loved Corfu. I went there with the children the year my husband and I separated which I think is why I like it. It was peaceful and warm, the hotel owners were delightful and so welcoming and the resort was small and friendly.

ParlorGames Sat 12-Aug-23 09:59:53

Our all time favourite is Madeira for the weather and scenery although it can be rather hilly.

However, when the weather is good in the UK there are some really beautiful places to take a holiday.

Fleurpepper Sat 12-Aug-23 10:00:30

Like henetha, I don't really have a favourite. We have loved so many places, and for different reasons.

So many in the UK, and all over Europe- and we go to a 'secret' part of Tuscany every year, so unspoilt.

One of those holidays that will always stick in our mind is our time in Kaui and Maui- and it is heart breaking to see photos and videos last couple of days, of places that we really loved, burnt so badly- including the massive Banyan tree in Lahaina that covered a whole market square.

LadyGracie Sat 12-Aug-23 10:08:49

I agree with Luckygirl13 West Wales is our first choice too.

Cheeseplantmad Sat 12-Aug-23 10:13:40

Luckygirl3

West Wales - hard to beat.

Yes , West Wales is beautiful and I live in South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Kate1949 Sat 12-Aug-23 10:14:07

Venice. I never thought when I was being dragged up in the back streets of Brum that I would get there. I've been four times. I absolutely love it.

annodomini Sat 12-Aug-23 10:17:18

I would love to return to Corsica. It has beautiful scenery, glorious beaches and an interesting history.

BigBertha1 Sat 12-Aug-23 10:40:08

Definitely Kenya with Safari in Masai Mara - we stayed at Governer's Camp- absolutely wonderful we saw so many animals and birds - we had a wonderful guide called Moses.

Esmay Sat 12-Aug-23 10:51:43

India - always fascinating , intriguing and beautiful .

I love photography plus drawing and painting .

I can happily exist on their vegetarian food .

I love wearing sarees and shalwar kameez .

I've studied Buddhism , Hinduism and Islam .

I find the people so respectful and kind to me .

It captured my imagination forty eight years ago .

silverlining48 Sat 12-Aug-23 11:05:05

Most holidays have been in Europe, so imany beautiful places, too many to name. Germany, Italy. France is lovely, driving there on RN , (route national), is a pleasure, compared to how busy it always is here in the SE.

Skydancer Sat 12-Aug-23 11:06:43

Venice definitely. I also love the Channel Islands.

MerylStreep Sat 12-Aug-23 11:16:05

Fleurpepper

Like henetha, I don't really have a favourite. We have loved so many places, and for different reasons.

So many in the UK, and all over Europe- and we go to a 'secret' part of Tuscany every year, so unspoilt.

One of those holidays that will always stick in our mind is our time in Kaui and Maui- and it is heart breaking to see photos and videos last couple of days, of places that we really loved, burnt so badly- including the massive Banyan tree in Lahaina that covered a whole market square.

We were booked for Maui from 20th September. If commitments had been different we would have been there now.
Thank god my daughter, who paid for the whole trip is insured up to the hilt.

Grandyma Sat 12-Aug-23 11:21:47

Corfu is my favourite. I Love everything about that beautiful island. Many happy memories & good friends made there.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 12-Aug-23 11:29:41

BigBertha1 eldest AC lived in Kenya for nearly three years, we spent a month there just before Covid.

A little bit of my heart remains on the Ol
Pejeta conservation reserve.

Having lived in Southern Europe, there is so much more than tourist haunts

I am fortunate to have travelled the world, but lately we find ourselves returning to Cyprus each year. Good food, friendly people and quiet places off the tourist trail.

pandapatch Sat 12-Aug-23 12:13:09

A hard one, I don't really have a favourite, I love lots of places for different reasons, but probably the Rockies (especially Lake Louise), stunningly beautiful!

Jaxjacky Sat 12-Aug-23 12:15:40

One that remains in my heart as it’s no longer available is the island of Kerkennah off the Tunisian coast. I had four holidays there, two on my own, the most hospitable people, unspoilt historical remains and the clearest sea.

Kate1949 Sat 12-Aug-23 12:29:51

The Amalfi Coast and Lakes Garda and Como are also beautiful.

dragonfly46 Sat 12-Aug-23 12:33:28

My favourite is camping in France, then Istanbul, Corsica, Madeira - so many wonderful places.

dragonfly46 Sat 12-Aug-23 12:33:45

Oh and Ferrara in Italy!

TwiceAsNice Sat 12-Aug-23 12:43:45

Turkey. We have had two fabulous holidays in villas in Kalcan. Beautiful country with such friendly people . Most of the restaurant staff speak really good English and they were so respectful of me and our age group generally “Mama” had preferential treatment in every restaurant and taxi journey . I could live there ( if my family was there too!)

Oldbat1 Sat 12-Aug-23 12:46:23

Camping in France.