Gransnet forums

Travel

hotels in uk

(48 Posts)
DianaLouise Fri 12-May-23 20:39:30

Due to illness we are unable to go abroad this year but would like to take a few holidays in the UK. Are there any recommendations for any hotels in the South /south East/ East of the country that has entertainment both daytime or evening.

Allsorts Fri 12-May-23 20:44:05

Stopped in loads of hotels abroad over the years, not many in this country, none that I would recommend though.

silverlining48 Fri 12-May-23 20:50:38

Warner hotels?

Jaxjacky Fri 12-May-23 20:56:47

There are two Warner sites on Hayling Island DianaLouise Singh Warren and Lakeside. I haven’t been for over twenty years, so can’t vouch for them, but Hayling is lovely.

rosie1959 Fri 12-May-23 21:02:59

Not that many hotels have entertainment especially during the day.
Warners may be a solution although I have never been.
Potters Leisure on the East Coast certainly has entertainment by the bucket load. Look out for offers as the full price cab be eye-watering. Its fully inclusive and four meals a day with the choice of chalet or hotel accommodation. They also have a second site in Essex called Five Lakes it's also family run.
Cumberland or The Riviera in Bournmouth are very nice
The View Eastbourne.
Belgrave Sands Hotel in Torquay is excellent.
But by far my favourite is The Westhill Country Hotel St Helier bit of a further trip but easily accessible from the south or many UK airports

BlueBelle Fri 12-May-23 21:23:39

Only ever stayed in a premier inn or travel lodge do these count ?

Primrose53 Fri 12-May-23 21:48:31

Sadly, hotels I have stayed in in this country are just not up to the standard of hotels we stay in abroad. Those are spotless, the staff are smart and polite and they are very good value.

I’ve stayed in hotels in York, Ludlow, Bournemouth and Torquay and a few more and they weren’t cheap but apart from York they were all old buildings and smelled quite mouldy. The bedding was dated and the food nothing special.

I guess there are some hotels in England that are very luxurious but they would not be the type to have entertainment.

Try Warners near Great Yarmouth/Lowestoft. They are not cheap but good quality, loads of entertainment, seaside locations and Breakfast and 3 course evening meal included. I haven’t stayed there but know people who have.

Foxygloves Fri 12-May-23 21:54:42

All I can say is that you haven’t stayed in the right hotels

tanith Fri 12-May-23 22:50:18

Warners on the Isle of Wight was ok and also stayed at Potters at Hopton Norfolk plenty to entertain you day and night, very clean, the chalets are excellent but the hotel is more luxurious.

Callistemon21 Fri 12-May-23 22:57:34

I don't think any of these would be mouldy, DianaLouise, however, I'm not sure about entertainment, check the details.
www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/england/hotels/

There should be plenty to choose from.

Friends have said that Warner hotels are good, with entertainment, but I've never been to one myself.

TwiceAsNice Fri 12-May-23 23:03:57

The Royal Duchy in Falmouth is lovely . Lovely rooms great food and service . They have a pool and spa and nice garden space walking distance to the harbour and town. They have entertainment in the evening on the weekend but Ive not stayed in the week just long weekends but would recommend as a nice place to stay. Free parking too

DianaLouise Sat 13-May-23 09:44:51

must check the Telegraph out seems to be plenty there. thank you so much.

Fleurpepper Sat 13-May-23 09:48:40

As Rosie says, I can think of some lovely Hôtels, but not any that provide entertainment, apart from occasionally on Saturday evening.

kittylester Sat 13-May-23 09:59:16

We have stayed in some lovely hotels but we avoid ones with entertainment.

We love The Brudenell in Aldeburgh, Suffolk. Especially Room 100.

Callistemon21 Sat 13-May-23 10:13:19

DianaLouise

must check the Telegraph out seems to be plenty there. thank you so much.

Avoid some further down the scale - I realise we had stayed at one which got 6/10, we were with a group of people (we didn't choose it) and yes, as the review says, it was rather Fawlty Towers but the staff were lovely.

Witzend Sat 13-May-23 10:18:34

Foxygloves

I’d say the same.
Though having said that, if it’s just for one night we nearly always stay at a Premier Inn nowadays - not least because of the lovely big bed. I really can’t do with sharing an ordinary double nowadays.

Had to find a Falmouth hotel in a hurry not long ago - emergency transport of niece to uni, at least a 5 hr drive. Several hotels I tried had only standard doubles - in the end had to book one with twin beds. It was otherwise very nice, though.

Fleurpepper Sat 13-May-23 10:22:47

Meudon Hôtel in Falmouth has got amazing views, own beach and fabulous gardens.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 13-May-23 10:39:41

I can’t imagine what daytime entertainment you would expect a hotel to provide. It sounds more like what you’d expect of Butlins. I would advise steering clear of Gt Yarmouth and Lowestoft suggested above, very poor and run down nowadays, with high crime rates.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-May-23 10:54:09

You don’t say your budget.

But high end there are a number of lovely hotels in Sussex. One being our “local” where we often eat.

South Lodge - just south of Horsham.

I can absolutely recommend it and it takes dogs🙂

halfpint1 Sat 13-May-23 10:57:12

Foxygloves

Generally I find the 'right'hotels are not 'right' for my budget.

Bizziebe Sat 13-May-23 11:02:25

Fleurpepper

Meudon Hôtel in Falmouth has got amazing views, own beach and fabulous gardens.

Very nice. And if you are happy to go out for a night or two's entertainment there is the Princess Pavilion Theatre and the wacky Phoenix cinema.

nanna8 Sat 13-May-23 11:02:56

You might be better off with Air bandb or private houses. The hotels we encountered in the UK were sub standard and what are called 5 star would be 3 star in other countries. Depends on the area,of course. Mostly they seem to be very undersized. You can rent castles and stuff like that,though ,which is fun.

Bizziebe Sat 13-May-23 11:05:54

I rather like the idea of an Airbnb resident host providing entertainment!!! Could be all sorts!!

Shelflife Sat 13-May-23 23:40:50

A hotel with evening entertainment would be the last thing I would want!

Primrose53 Sun 14-May-23 08:09:26

Germanshepherdsmum

I can’t imagine what daytime entertainment you would expect a hotel to provide. It sounds more like what you’d expect of Butlins. I would advise steering clear of Gt Yarmouth and Lowestoft suggested above, very poor and run down nowadays, with high crime rates.

The Warner hotels at Corton and the other resort close by are very swish apparently. I suggested them because it seemed like the OP had entertainment high on her list of priorities. The reason people choose to stay at Warners is because they have everything they need on site and they don’t need to venture out. Rather like Center Parcs.