Gransnet forums

Technology

Urgent advice re Android phones needed !

(14 Posts)
Fair2good Thu 21-Mar-24 23:50:59

Can anyone here please give me some advice. I’m using a hand me down iPhone which is on its last legs. I would like to buy a cheap Android phone purely because of budget but I’m not good with technology and am actually really apprehensive as I read about malware and the need for anti virus on them. Can anyone recommend a very simple basic smartphone and tell me about the anti virus I would need. I’ve been looking at a Samsung A15. Many thanks if you can help. ( I asked my granddaughter and am more confused now than I was before ! )

MiniMoon Fri 22-Mar-24 00:04:27

I have always had an android phone, and have never felt the need of an anti virus app. I have a Samsung A32 and am very pleased with it.
My daughter loves her google phone but they are rather expensive.

Fair2good Fri 22-Mar-24 00:11:47

MiniMoon have you found the Samsung easy to use ? I need a bigger screen as I have cataracts and the old iPhone I have been using is too small.

Lilliesmum79 Fri 22-Mar-24 04:55:01

I have a Huawei Honor fone very easy to use and not too expensive. Don't need antiviris. I changed from iPhone in 2019 I too needed larger screen.

Louella12 Fri 22-Mar-24 05:51:21

I have a Samsung galaxy and its very easy to use. All. You need is time to play around with it and you'll soon be at peace with it!

Grammaretto Fri 22-Mar-24 06:13:12

I've never had an iPhone. My current Samsung Galaxy A34 suits me fine.
I use it for almost everything.
It is rather big. I wish it was smaller to fit neatly in my pocket but compared to a tablet its tiny.
No problem with malware.
It's new because I left my last phone on a plane and haven't managed to retrieve it.

Salti Fri 22-Mar-24 08:35:48

I bought my first ever smartphone five and a bit years ago. I walked into Currys and said to the assistant that I wanted one and told her my budget, under £200. She recommended the Samsung J6+. I'd never used a mobile for anything other than calls or texts at the time, but quite quickly I got to rely on it for everything. When my satnav died I didn't replace it, when my laptop gave up the ghost the same. When I worked out how to connect it to my printer I was even happier.
Unfortunately while shopping a few weeks ago it's case broke, the phone hit the tiled floor and shattered.
Within an hour I was in Currys and had purchased a Samsung A54.
I charged it up and moved my phone chip and memory card over from the old phone and it really is easy to use.

MissAdventure Fri 22-Mar-24 08:52:12

I'm using an older samsung j6, and it does all I need it to.
It has a memory card in it, because it doesn't have a huge amount of storage, but i always use samsung, as I'm used to them.
I just go up to the next number when I need to get another.

tanith Fri 22-Mar-24 10:01:33

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 it’s old and I probably should update it but it’s easy to use and does all I want from a phone

Chestnut Fri 22-Mar-24 10:23:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissAdventure Fri 22-Mar-24 10:28:49

I need a new phone, so am reading all of this. smile

Visgir1 Fri 22-Mar-24 10:49:09

Look at Oppo phones they are basically Samsung, I was recommended mine by O2 and it's been brilliant, I went in to get a Samsung as I wanted a better camera came out with this one, apparently the Camera on this phone was better.
Now it's over 3 yrs old, still good battery fast charge, has quality photos, and very light in weight.

The only time you see them advertised is at Wimbledon the logo is /was for the last few years around the centre court.
Would definitely get one again.

MissAdventure Fri 22-Mar-24 11:15:55

My daughter rated the huwaiwi (something like that, anyway) that she got on place of her samsung.

annodomini Fri 22-Mar-24 11:57:08

I've had several Android mobiles. Motorola phones come in a good price range. I now have a more expensive Google phone, but, to be honest, it's no better than a cheaper Motorola! I've never felt the need tor anti-virus software on Android, but my son recently uploaded AVG Anti-Virus Pro for me which he assures me will give me extra security.