Gransnet forums

Technology

Anybody had trouble getting rid of AVG antivirus?

(4 Posts)
Alie2Oxon Fri 09-Feb-24 11:32:01

They've just renewed it without my ok!
The bank won't stop the payment until I've spoken to AVG, I've sent a message; but the renewal I've only just received is dated Wednesday so it's probably too late.

How do I stop it? I thought the contract would just run out.
I tried months ago with a tech help but we didn't get anywhere.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Feb-24 11:45:44

You obviously didn’t read the T&Cs and find out that it renews automatically. You can but contact them. I hope you’re not proposing to dispense with anti virus protection.

Alie2Oxon Fri 09-Feb-24 12:08:38

I just don't want that one! The tech man told me that BT email provides protection but I couldn't turn it on until the contract ran out.... which I thought was NEXT month!

TinSoldier Fri 09-Feb-24 12:32:21

It sounds like you opted to have or had no choice but to agree to auto-renew. The latter is standard with anti-virus contracts to ensure you have continuing cover until you cancel.

Cancelling a direct debit or standing order does not alter your obligations in relation to a contract you have with a company so the bank is right.

You can only sort this out with AVG. If they have already taken payment for another year, all you can do is explain that you no longer need their services and ask for a refund. They may agree to it but do have a legal right to refuse.

If they refuse, ask to see the pre-contract information they supplied to see what you agreed to and check whether they have met their own obligations. The pre-contract information should include:

The length of the contract
Whether the contract will automatically renew
How the subscription will renew
If the customer will receive a reminder about the subscription renewal
Price increases on contract renewal
The length of the renewed contract
How to stop the automatic renewal of the contract
Cancellation and refund rights

Are you saying you have installed BT Virus Protect? That’s a Norton based product that you have to download and activate.

It's recommend you only have one version of security software on your computer. I think that's where the confusion is.

This:

www.bt.com/help/security/anti-virus-software/what-is-bt-virus-protect-and-how-do-i-get-it-

You should have given notice to cancel the AVG contract, checked when you had cover up to and then activated the BT cover from that date.