Gransnet forums

Technology

We want to keep in touch.

(8 Posts)
Lexisgranny Wed 31-Jan-24 11:32:52

DH and I have come to the conclusion that it would be useful if we could each have a tracker on our phones. There seem to be so many around. Needless to say at our advanced ages we would like something easy to use, we both have trouble fiddling about with phones when out of doors! Also, are the free ones any good?

We would want to use it when we spilt up when out shopping, and to estimate how soon we would be arriving home, obviously this could be done by using the phone conventionally, but it would be preferable to do it without a call being involved.

Cressy Wed 31-Jan-24 11:44:13

If you have an iPhone there is an app called Find my Friend which does just that. We don’t always activate it but it’s useful if we go somewhere where we might wander off. It never occurs to my husband to inform any of us of his change of direction.

OldFrill Wed 31-Jan-24 12:02:44

You can share location/route/progress through Google maps. I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Grannysmith Wed 31-Jan-24 12:07:09

We have the iPhone trackers activated on our phones. It is very useful & we consider it a safety feature. Son in Sweden can track us & as we have no uk family he can keep an eye on us!

Lexisgranny Wed 31-Jan-24 12:16:34

Thank you for your swift replies. Unfortunately I changed my IPhone for an Android last year. My IPad is like a third hand to me, but for some reason I just couldn’t get on with my IPhone.

dragonfly46 Wed 31-Jan-24 12:21:35

I find Find My very useful on my phone, not only does it track people (which I don't use) but it finds my keys, phone and also my very expensive coat if it goes awol. I have an apple tag to attach to these items btw.

Grannysmith Wed 31-Jan-24 12:24:11

Yes I forgot about the trackers on our electric bikes

dragonfly46 Thu 01-Feb-24 10:19:17

I think Android have similar. I have just googled it and it says you can locate someone using Google maps.