Gransnet forums

Technology

ITV+not compatable with Panasonic

(8 Posts)
win Mon 29-Jan-24 17:10:20

I wonder whether any one of you Gransnetters have had any experience with the following.

I have an old Panasonic Smart TV purchased in 2012. It is a V-LED passive tops 3D TV, TXL42ET5B which is working in good order and always have been. However it is no longer compatible with ITV+. I know it has been like this for a long time now, but I have never worried about it, as I was hardly at home in my own house. It does worry me now however as I wanted to watch Dancing on Ice on catch up and also Mr.Bates, and so many other things having lost my partner recently so am now spending time at home again.

I was told that I could overcome the problem by buying a 2m 8k hdmi cable snowkids cable, which I did. The cable connects to my iPad and everything on the iPad comes up on the screen beautifully, but the minute I press play it cuts out. I know the TV has to be on HDMI but it still cuts out. I rang Panasonic this afternoon and they suggested I buy an Amazon Fire stick or a Google Chrome Cast, but when asked if that was guaranteed to work they sounded only 95% sure. However, they suggested I phoned Amazon to check!! Nightmare that for sure.

My question is this has anyone of you been successful doing just that or have you just upgraded your TV. I hardly ever watch TV so it is an option I'm trying to avoid. Particularly as my existing TV is 100% fine in all other ways.

I know I can just watch it on my iPad but I wanted to watch it with other people not alone hence the question.

Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for any comments.

NotSpaghetti Mon 29-Jan-24 17:24:06

Lots of old smart TVs won't update.
My mother-in-law has a Samsung which can't get the "4" on demand app (can't remember exactly what it is called) it's really annoying though as she's missing things she would like - eg, the Seasude Hotel series.

I emailed them to check and they said no as they weren't updating that far back. I think it was a 2016/2017 model.

Ilovecheese Mon 29-Jan-24 17:41:10

You need an Amazon firestick. They are quite easy to install and not too expensive.

TinSoldier Mon 29-Jan-24 17:50:42

ITVX is not compatible with your set but there is a work around through screen mirroring.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNdJ1lX6IZM

This video explains how to mirror content from an iPhone to any Panasonic set including those that don't have built in Airplay capability. The same procedure will apply for a iPad.

If you use an Amazon Firestick you need to download an app called APowerMirror.

Oldbat1 Mon 29-Jan-24 17:51:31

We have a roku which was quite cheap to buy. Hasn’t itv+ now become itvx? On catchup. I’m not the best on what tvs can and can’t do these days. Certainly we use the Roku to access different catch-up channels and prime and Netflix etc.

win Mon 29-Jan-24 17:54:19

Thank you Ilovecheese, does that definitely work on the old TVs mine is from 2012. That is what Panasonic suggested, but he wouldn't guarantee it would work but thought it would. Hence my question here to see if anyone is actually doing it that way.
Yes Spaghetti you are right they do not upgrade beyond 2016 I was told that previously when I enquired why I couldn't get ITV+. Thank you for your quick responses both, much appreciated.

win Mon 29-Jan-24 17:57:57

Oldbat1, yes I bought a Roku but it will not play on it, it loads ITVX alright but will not play. You are right too. it is called itvs, I thought it was an + but just checked.

Thank you for the Link TinSoldier, I will have a look.

win Mon 29-Jan-24 18:08:53

Oldbat1 my Roku is just a 2m 8k HDMI cable, but looking at the youTube link it is a Roku stick/box I need is that what you have?