Gransnet forums

Technology

Paying for car parks.

(9 Posts)
MayBee70 Thu 25-Jan-24 17:55:20

I want to meet up with some friends at a local beauty spot and they recommend paying for parking in advance with Ring go. I’ve realised that I haven’t been to any car parks since the pandemic began ( the places I do go to have free parking with a disc). My mobile phone is just a cheap one and I don’t think it’s very secure. I use my iPad for most things because I was told that Apple is very secure. I feel that I am completely out of touch technology wise. I’m not planning to go abroad but when my daughter did it seemed that she did everything on her phone. I’m so worried now that I’ll go somewhere and get fined because I haven’t paid for my parking!

eddiecat78 Thu 25-Jan-24 18:35:36

Our local beauty spot has machine which should accept money by phone, or card , or cash. Despite several attempts we cannot make the phone or card options work and now make sure we always have the right cash!

toscalily Thu 25-Jan-24 18:59:56

Unfortunately there are some car parks which do not accept cash, only card and/or phone payments, definitely far more than pre Covid. I have two car parking apps on my phone as it seems some work in parts of the country and not in others. I always keep some coins in the car just in case but must admit to feeling a bit anxious at having to park when I don't know an area and then if the machines don't appear to work that is even more frustrating and worrying that you will get a fine.

granfromafar Sat 10-Feb-24 08:46:25

What area are you meeting up in? London carparks and some other cities are app only, but many have the option of using cash or card too. I dislike using the apps as you end up paying more than cash, but they do have the advantage of being able to top up from your phone to extend the parking time, which is useful. Not sure how you would pay in advance, as you don't know what time you will arrive. You would need to set up the app in advance though.

granfromafar Sat 10-Feb-24 08:49:53

Another thought- if one of your friends has the RingGo app, they could add your car to their account and pay on your behalf, then you could give them the cash. You can have up to 5 vehicles on one account, I believe.

NotSpaghetti Sat 10-Feb-24 09:00:01

Yes. I have several vehicles on my app - but if I was you I'd look online what payment options are available at the parking spot you want to use. You may find it's got a cash or card option.

As for pre-booking, this can be done from your computer or tablet at home:

Internet options:
If you have a phone with mobile internet access, you can use the myRingGo site to book your parking. Simply login at www.myRingGo.co.uk/park and complete the details. Alternatively you can use the same link from a standard pc or other internet connected device.

For more information please see www.myRingGo.co.uk

This is from their website.
Why not do it on your computeror tablet or whateveryouuse at home?

kittylester Sat 10-Feb-24 09:07:54

I have a different gripe. One of our hospitals has no option for paying by phone, card or even notes. Nor does it give change. And it's pay in advance.

Mazgg Sat 10-Feb-24 10:27:38

I went to Marks and Spencer in Hexham last Saturday but hadn't put my card wallet in my handbag, something I've never done before. The parking was by card only. I had cash in my purse but it was no good. A kind lady offered to pay for my parking and I gave her cash.
I am in my 80s and reasonably tech savvy whereas a friend who is 92 prefers cash and doesn't trust cards. Life is becoming increasingly difficult for her.

M0nica Sat 10-Feb-24 17:01:56

Our local railway station is app only. I now park in the town centre carpark and walk the half mile to the station because the town carparks are cash or card.