Gransnet forums

Technology

I Pad Battery.

(18 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 13-Jan-24 07:41:10

My I pad is nearly 5 years old, used quite a lot.

I’ve noticed recently the battery runs down pretty quickly. It was 100% when I went to bed last night, now after looking at GN, my banking etc, it’s down to 77%, (about 40 minutes use).

It’s not a problem to charge it up more often, but does this mean it’s getting ‘past it’?

I have read you should get rid of surplus apps. I seem to have lots I never use and don’t even know what they are for, they just seemed to come with the I pad.

GN, Google, my banking, Facebook, the freeview streaming apps are the ones I use most.

Abitbarmy Sat 13-Jan-24 07:49:42

After 5yrs your battery will definitely be on its way out in my experience and deleting a few apps won’t make much difference. Any good repair shop will be able to replace the battery though for about £40-£60.

Katie59 Sat 13-Jan-24 07:58:13

If you look in your settings menu there is a battery option that gives you a battery health, 85% or more is good, as well as a state of charge don’t confuse that with state of charge. You may have an app running continuously, also clear your website data occasionally. To do that go to settings menu scroll to “Safari”
Then “clear website data” to clear “cookies” then switch off iPad when when it restarts it should not have any active apps.

NotSpaghetti Sat 13-Jan-24 08:21:32

My ipad is even older. I need a new battery too.

Calendargirl Sat 13-Jan-24 09:14:35

I have looked at my battery health Katie, but don’t have it. Not like my I phone.

It only has the state of charge.

J52 Sat 13-Jan-24 09:14:42

Yes this happened to me just before Christmas. I decided to replace my I pad, as it was 5+ years old and no longer produced. But I’m looking into a new battery for the old one to pass it on the DGC.
First I’m going to return it to factory setting, which might improve things.

Juliet27 Sat 13-Jan-24 09:32:02

Just looked at my iPhone battery health which is 88%. Didn’t realise I could do that so thanks Katie59

Katek Sat 13-Jan-24 09:32:29

Also turn off background apps refresh, may help.

Tink75 Sat 13-Jan-24 09:40:44

Thankyou Katie done all that..

Katie59 Sat 13-Jan-24 10:10:23

Prompted by this thread I checked my “iPad storage” I was quite close to the limit, in my case 32GB so I went through and deleted several large Apps that I didn’t use. Everyone wants you have their App these days but some use a very large amount of space, one I deleted used as much space as all my photos together.

MayBee70 Sat 13-Jan-24 10:54:17

My last iPad suddenly died on me when I was away from home last year and was dependent on it for messaging, shopping etc. I thought I’d lost everything including photos but was able to retrieve everything. Thankfully I was able to buy a new one from a local Argos shop and my neighbour is a softwear engineer. In retrospect I was having to charge it all the time. I wasn’t expecting it to go from perfectly ok to dead as a dodo though and it made me realise how dependent I was on it!

Calendargirl Sat 13-Jan-24 12:27:51

Was your I pad a very old one MayBee?

MayBee70 Sat 13-Jan-24 12:59:36

No. Three years if that. It does get a lot of use, though. I went out for the day and it was lifeless when I got home. Took it to a shop that could put a new battery in but they said they didn’t think it was the battery. Apple were going to charge me a fortune to look at it. I had no idea that iPads wore out. And I’d used my daughters mobile when I set it up so I had to make sure she was available to take a pass code for me when we set the new one up. It was a bank holiday, too.

Oreo Sat 13-Jan-24 13:43:37

Just changed mine for a new one, so much faster it’s amazing.
Had a new battery on the old one which did give it some extra life for a while but was still slow responding and several games wouldn’t work. If you use it a lot and it’s five years old then replace if you can.

Gwyllt Sat 13-Jan-24 14:49:14

Cynical I may be but I find apple products periodically will rapidly run the battery low for a few days then go back to normal Phones watches iPads all the same Coincidentally I get adverts for new devices
I do check if something is running in the background

twinnytwin Sun 14-Jan-24 11:34:59

My iPad Pro is 8 years old and has been used every day since purchase. When my granddaughters come here (4 times a week) it's used for several hours by them too. I had a new battery about 3 years ago and it's been great - up until over this Christmas when the screen would go black intermittently. I'm able to get it up and running straight away but it's happening several times a day now. I think it's time for a new one but I certainly can't complain about the service it's given me.

Calendargirl Sun 14-Jan-24 12:03:50

As the OP, it seems that being on GN in particular makes it run down faster!

Is someone trying to tell me something i.e. stop wasting time on GN?

shock

Cabbie21 Sun 14-Jan-24 12:09:15

Ha Ha! I am sure that is true.