Gransnet forums

Technology

Problems with my Kindle

(7 Posts)
mumski Thu 04-Jan-24 10:48:55

I have a Kindle Paperwhite, which I've had probably 5 or 6 years.
Absolutely love it even over traditional books.
However, for the last while, if I try to get it to search on Kindle store or download a new book it comes up with a message saying "Application Error". I then have to keep retrying. It gets there eventually but it's a bit of a nuisance to say the least.
I don't know if it's just coming to the end of it's life or if it's a software issue?
Does anyone else have this problem?
Many thanks.

Witzend Thu 04-Jan-24 10:55:41

I get that now and then, when I’ve just ordered a book. It usually resolves itself quite quickly, and I find the book has downloaded anyway, but if not I turn it off completely for a few minutes and start again.

Mine (Paperwhite) must be 10 years old now, and I’ve got tons of stuff on it. I dare say I should go through and delete what I’m not going to read again, but then I do re-read quite a lot.

Aveline Thu 04-Jan-24 11:45:15

I'm noticing that I need to recharge mine more often. I wondered if the battery was failing. It's not that old.

Theexwife Thu 04-Jan-24 11:48:02

Reset it, go to settings and do a soft reset, it wont delete anything.

Visgir1 Thu 04-Jan-24 15:50:06

Mine occasionally does that. It's over 10 years old now.
Just turn it off and shut it down, seems to be okay then when it reboots up . It's normally after I have downloaded a few books.

mrswoo Thu 04-Jan-24 16:38:34

I've got an ancient Kindle (pre-Paperwhite) I can no longer download books to it directly via the Kindle store as Amazon has put a stop to this due the Kindle's age. I've got around the problem by having the app on both my ipad and mobile. I can then download books that way and they then automatically transfer to my Kindle. Although your problem is slightly different it may be worth downloading books via the app on your phone, tablet etc and it should automatically appear on your Kindle.Good luck, I hope it works.

mumski Thu 04-Jan-24 17:17:18

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions. I shall try them when I get home.
Many thanks x