Gransnet forums

Technology

Charging my phone

(20 Posts)
ExDancer Sun 10-Dec-23 09:43:10

When I got my first mobile, eons ago, I was told to wait until the battery was nearly flat before I recharged it.
Now my grand children tell me this is old fashioned rubbish.
My husband plugs his in every morning while he has breakfast and this way his battery is always charged, mine if often flat.
Who is right?

Doodledog Sun 10-Dec-23 09:47:02

I hope someone has a definitive answer to this (and to whether we should leave laptops plugged in or run the battery).

These days so many things are rechargeable - I have several cordless table lamps, for instance - and it would be good to know how to prolong the battery life.

toscalily Sun 10-Dec-23 10:07:46

These might help:
www.zdnet.com/article/five-smartphone-and-laptop-battery-myths/

www.rd.com/article/charge-smartphone-laptop-battery-last-longer/

Baggs Sun 10-Dec-23 11:17:26

I plug the charger into my iPhone every night. The software has learned that I don't need the phone until 0500 when my alarm rings (phone is on Do Not Disturb as well) and takes until 0430 to charge the battery fully. Apparently this slow charging helps prolong the life of the battery.

Likewise my Macbook.

cornergran Sun 10-Dec-23 13:41:52

Same here baggs, following advice from techie sons. I’d not dare argue grin.

GranThomas Tue 12-Dec-23 02:15:47

Forget that advice about waiting until the battery is nearly flat before recharging, that is indeed outdated. That was for old-fashioned nickel-cadmium batteries. Modern smartphones use lithium-ion batteries, and your husband’s approach of plugging in his phone every morning is more aligned with current best practices. It’s better to keep the battery charged between 30% to 90% rather than letting it drain completely before recharging. Your grandchildren are correct, and it might be a good idea to adopt a similar charging habit. 😊

Granmarderby10 Tue 12-Dec-23 06:18:01

So…is a slow charge “better” for the battery than a fast charge?

Cabbie21 Tue 12-Dec-23 06:53:56

No problem charging my phone during breakfast, but my iPad is now taking longer to charge and seems to run down more quickly.

25Avalon Tue 12-Dec-23 10:29:45

My Samsung recharges super quickly but as soon as it gets down to about 18% it tells me to put the battery on charge which I do.

Georgesgran Tue 12-Dec-23 10:34:44

I’ve only got an iPhone - so it’s just a charge - not fast or slow.
I top mine up every morning at home and always connect it to the car if I’m going out.

Shelflife Tue 12-Dec-23 13:30:04

Charge my phone every night.

Visgir1 Tue 12-Dec-23 13:32:41

Very rarely go below 30 % if it does it tells me to charge it.

ExDancer Tue 12-Dec-23 22:25:34

So it seems I can charge it whenever I like, thanks.

GranThomas Wed 13-Dec-23 02:34:37

Granmarderby10

So…is a slow charge “better” for the battery than a fast charge?

Yes, slow charging is better for the phone's battery in the long run. Fast chargers generate a lot of heat, which can affect the battery. I am careful with my phone's battery as I purchased it refurbished, if I had purchased it as new, I am eligible for a free battery replacement. I am using two chargers for my phone. I reserve the fast charger for those times when I’m in a rush, like a quick top-up while I’m showering. But for charging at night (not overnight charging), I stick to the original charger.

Granmarderby10 Wed 13-Dec-23 10:55:45

Thank you GranThomas for that info🙂

puffernutter Fri 15-Dec-23 11:41:42

There is a flip side though, some phones (Samsung are well known for it) do not have a good way of regulating charge when the battery is full, so they can overcharge the battery and it swells (don't ask how I know). So when it's charged to 100% remove it from the charger.

Grandma2002 Fri 15-Dec-23 12:30:15

My Hearing Aids are rechargeable. I put them on charge every night whatever their battery power is (as instructed). Don't take them off until morning so they are getting a full 12 hours charge every day.
Such a relief after years of batteries and having to change them in the middle of meetings, conversations, etc.
I try to operate my mobile phone on same basis, but DH takes it off charge before he comes to bed says because he doesn't like leaving things charging overnight! I've told him on pain of divorce not to touch my hearing aids.

missdeke Fri 15-Dec-23 12:48:44

I have a Samsung and the battery generally lasts me 3 days, I put it on charge when it's between 20 and 30% and charge it to between 80 and 100%, I've had the phone well over a year and there is no sign of it failing as yet.

PS just touched wood in case I've put the mockers on it.

Dianehillbilly1957 Fri 15-Dec-23 14:32:16

I remember having a mobile phone several years ago, it came with a device that discharged, which you done before recharging from empty!! Normally my phone gets recharged between 50/70% this is around the time I remember to check it!!

4allweknow Fri 15-Dec-23 22:28:56

The young folk and your husband.