Gransnet forums

Technology

GMail

(8 Posts)
Anniel Sat 28-Oct-23 19:19:58

I have a new Lenovo laptop which I use sometimes but generally use my iPad which has the normal gmail. I really find having 3 columns on a laptop is unmanageable and now I am thinking of using a different mail provider on my laptop. Does anyone use another system which is like the old gmail?
Thank you!

welbeck Sat 28-Oct-23 22:25:28

i use chromebook.
not sure what you mean by 3 columns.
i can see gmail ok, but i do select the basic display, which is going to disappear next year.

crazyH Sat 28-Oct-23 22:27:54

I was going to ask the same question - 3 columns?

FindingNemo15 Sat 28-Oct-23 22:50:13

I am on gmail and do not like it.

When I want to file/move an email to/from the same person to a folder I have to do each one separately. Cannot work out how to do move them altogether. Any suggestions please?

Chestnut Sun 29-Oct-23 00:34:30

I have three e-mail addresses with BT Internet and two with GMail but I collect them on my computer through eM Client. You download eM Client and then it's quite easy to add each one. Then when I open eM Client it checks all five e-mail addresses all at the same time and downloads any new mail which I then sort into folders. I think the free version only allows 2 or 3 addresses but I paid for the full version.

Anniel Sun 29-Oct-23 01:11:44

Interesting replies. If you have standard gmail try not to update it. Many people hate the new version. Thank you Chestnut and Welbeck. I will look at both suggestions.

GranThomas Thu 14-Dec-23 06:31:12

Hi Anniel, I'm using a Chromebox so my Gmail interface may differ from yours. For an email alternative, I switched from Gmail to ProtonMail personally. As a longtime Gmail user, I find ProtonMail a better fit nowadays. I still need Gmail for work emails, but ProtonMail is my go-to for personal stuff now. Might be worth checking out if you're looking to move on from Gmail.

Daddima Thu 14-Dec-23 07:29:00

I have two email apps for gmail, one which seems to be an old one, and a newer one which has the same emails, but divides them into primary, updates, social, promotions, and something else ( maybe the columns Annie is meaning?) I don’t look at that one much, as I prefer to see them in the old format.
My problem is that a person in America is giving my address, so I have now built up a profile of her purchases etc!
My email address is just my name @gmail.com, so I am loath to change it. America lady is using the same name, but with a dot in the middle, so gmail doesn’t recognise the dot apparently and I get receipts etc.
I also get some for an Irish lady whose name is a tiny ( unusual) variation of mine. I always reply to these ones, and nearly always get a thank you.