Gransnet forums

Technology

ITVX App

(23 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 30-Sep-23 08:24:00

When I try and go on to my ITVX app on my I pad, it just spins round and round and never connects.

Why is this? It’s only just started doing it, and is the same on DH’s I pad. But it’s ok on my I phone.

I was going to delete the app and re install it, but can’t seem to get past the ‘spinning’.

What do I do? Really annoying not to be able to watch stuff.

NanaBabs1 Sat 30-Sep-23 08:29:38

It’s the same with me, I’ve just tried it! It’s a very ‘clunky’ app, anyway, even on the tv. Not at all intuitive.
I’m off to consult Dr Google who usually has an answer!

NanaBabs1 Sat 30-Sep-23 08:33:59

It seems our iPads might be too ancient. All down to the operating system apparently!

NanaBabs1 Sat 30-Sep-23 08:38:34

Hmm, I don’t think that applies to mine.
I need to carry on sleuthing!

Calendargirl Sat 30-Sep-23 08:42:33

Thanks NanaBabs, I had also read about some I pads being too old.

But it also applied to older I phones. Well, my I phone is quite old, and it still works on it, but so much easier to watch on a tablet.

Visgir1 Sat 30-Sep-23 08:44:31

Works fine on my old Android Tablet that's about 7 years old.
Have you tried reloading the app? Or updating it.
Good luck

GrannySomerset Sat 30-Sep-23 08:49:45

Thank you for providing an explanation for yesterday’s sudden refusal to let me access ITVX but my iPad is only four years old - is that really obsolete? I am more than frustrated because I am reluctant to replace it but depend on it for so much. I await the results of * Nana’s* sleuthing!

Calendargirl Sat 30-Sep-23 08:52:05

Thx Visgirl.

When I go into the app, it is ‘stuck’ on the spinning bit.

Can’t delete it, can’t download it again as it already knows it’s there and ‘open’.

Will have to consult DS, see if he can get rid of it and sort it out.

Did read somewhere that this would be happening from end August for older devices, mine is about 4 years old, to me that isn’t ‘old’, but hey ho, what do I know?
confused

Calendargirl Sat 30-Sep-23 08:54:06

X Posts GrannySomerset.

Seems we both have ancient I pads!

Beechnut Sat 30-Sep-23 09:01:03

I believe you can delete apps by holding your finger on the screen where all your apps are. All the apps will then start wobbling and have a minus sign on them…. Be careful!

Caravansera Sat 30-Sep-23 17:10:49

You probably need to do a Force Quit. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen so that all open apps can be seen as rectangles. Touch the one you want to quit and slide it off the screen. Tap anywhere on screen to get back to Home. Then try again to see if the app will open.

Applications (apps) need to buffer, i.e. they have to preload data in a reserved area of memory (know as RAM, Random Access Memory) before they will run. More often than not you won’t notice this but ITVX is known to have buffering issues and users are aware of this. It’ll probably be because your device doesn’t have a lot of RAM and what there is is being used by other apps.

ITVX is one of the slower apps to load on my smart TV but once loaded it doesn’t buffer. It loads almost instantaneously on my MacBook which has 16GBb RAM. To compare, a sixth generation iPad launched in 2018 only has 2Gb of RAM.

If your device doesn’t have a lot of RAM and you are also running a lot of other applications in the background, it will struggle. If you have a browser running, Firefox, Safari etc anything open via that will slow things down, especially by those sites which have dynamic moving content e.g. Gransnet and its video adverts. Tabloid newpapers have a lot of video pop ups too. You can use an adblocker but then the adblocker has to be constantly running in the background to stop the ads.

Try closing everything else that’s running see if it makes a difference to how ITVX loads. If you have Activity Monitor, look at that to see what is using up memory. It’s an integral app on MacBooks but may have to be downloaded as a separate app for iPads.

NanaBabs1 Sun 01-Oct-23 10:45:17

You might have to wait a while GrannySomerset, it fell down the list of important things to do yesterday! Might try Caravansera’s solution later. I’m falling out of love with my tech at the moment. My WhatsApp search bar has also disappeared and Dr Google suggests that might be down to the latest update not being compatible with my, admittedly ancient, iPhone. I hate the fact that most solution’s seem to depend on expensive upgrades of equipment that works perfectly well otherwise!

Calendargirl Sun 01-Oct-23 11:50:54

Have tried Caravansera’s solution, but doesn’t seem to have made any difference unfortunately.

Caravansera Sun 01-Oct-23 11:58:11

That's a shame. It may be that your iPads are running on an old operating system that ITVX no longer supports. This says:

Our app works on all iOS devices running iOS 14 or above.

support.itv.com/en_us/which-ios-devices-are-supported-rytQ2R9fo

Try updating your operating system.

Calendargirl Sun 01-Oct-23 12:21:16

In Settings, it says my I pad is on 16.7, so to me that is ok?

confused

GrannySomerset Sun 01-Oct-23 12:28:10

Yes, mine too - 6th generation. Very fed up!

NanaBabs1 Sun 01-Oct-23 12:29:00

Well I decided to uninstall then reinstall and, apart from having to sign in again (not register - maybe because I’ve got it set up on my tv) it seems to be working 🤷‍♀️

Caravansera Sun 01-Oct-23 12:31:20

That should be ok. What about this?

support.itv.com/en_us/what-software-do-i-need-to-use-itvx-on-my-browser-HkWraAczo

We try to make sure that ITVX is available as far and as wide as possible but there are some minimum requirements we’ll need you to follow.

The ITVX website is supported on computers and laptops running Windows 8 and above, and Mac 10.12 (Sierra) and above.

We recommend using the latest version of any of the following browsers:

Windows - Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge
Mac - Firefox, Chrome, Safari
iPhone/iPad (running iOS 14 or later) - Safari
Android (running OS v5 or later) - Chrome

How much RAM do your iPads have?

Calendargirl Sun 01-Oct-23 12:32:02

Have gone into my App Store to try and update ITVX, but doesn’t look like I am able to.

[sigh]

Calendargirl Sun 01-Oct-23 12:36:04

Apparently I’m on Safari 16, which means nothing to me. confused

I would delete/uninstall my ITVX app and install it again, but it won’t let me.

lilyofthewest Sun 01-Oct-23 12:39:31

My ipad is 2 years old & I had this problem with the ITVX app. I just deleted it & immediately reinstalled it. It works fine now & I didn’t have to sign in again.

Calendargirl Sun 01-Oct-23 12:45:22

Think my I pad has 2gb of ram, which isn’t much I suppose.

Will have to ask DS for help when I next see him.

blush

Calendargirl Sun 01-Oct-23 13:17:06

Well, have actually managed to delete and reinstall it, and touch wood, looks ok.

Thanks for all help, especially Caravansera, hope it continues working!