Gransnet forums

Technology

iPad 12x9 . Has anyone got one?

(11 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Sat 09-Sep-23 16:30:26

I have had a 9x7 for a few years. My eyesight isn’t that marvellous so I wondered if I would find a real difference if I invested in a 12x9. Thinking of the latest one which is I believe to be the 6th generation. Any input would be useful.

Blossoming Sat 09-Sep-23 20:50:10

Do you mean the iPad Pro 12.9? MrB has one but I use an iPad mini because it’s light and fits in my cross body bag.

Mamissimo Sat 09-Sep-23 21:32:44

I have one and I love it - but it is quite heavy to hold. I find my hand and lower arm ache if I'm holding it on my lap too long. It's not as transportable - I used to take my small one away easily in a handbag but I now have a bag the size of a large tote if I need to take my iPad.

I love the pencil - although it's extra, it's much easier to watch films and TV - and yes I think you would find it easier to read. Why not go to an apple store or John Lewis and try it out? It's a lot of money if it's not right for you.

Theexwife Sat 09-Sep-23 21:34:45

I have one and love it, especially with a Magic Keyboard.

Redhead56 Sun 10-Sep-23 08:25:05

I am using mine now I love it and I have a pill a Pill-O-Pad to rest it on as it is heavy.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 10-Sep-23 10:20:25

Thank you everyone for the information. Hadn’t thought of the weight. Yes *Blossoming it is the 12x9 IPad Pro. The Pill-O-Pad sounds a good idea. Thank you Redhead56.

Missedout Sun 10-Sep-23 14:16:40

I'm just wondering if you are taking full advantage of the ability of the iPad to increase print size using the various accessibility settings and the 'pinch-zoom' using your fingers on the screen?

I am using an 11" iPad pro on my lap and find that about the right size. iPads are quite heavy, and the magic keyboard makes it heavier (I am a touch typist so it makes my life easier.) I also bought a cheapish plastic case to protect the iPad and as a stand if I want to take it somewhere but reduce the weight by leaving the magic keyboard behind.

I agree, have a look at various models before deciding.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 11-Sep-23 02:48:34

Thank you *Missedout”. What you say is of course right. I have looked again at the options for zooming in settings and where it is possible I have tried to darken print and increase the text size. The Magic Keyboard would indeed increase the weight but as I don’t initially intend to add one that would help in that respect. I would probably add a cheaper (Amazon) pencil or a stylus as I enjoy drawing and painting. I have various apps for this purpose and I was hoping that a larger screen would give me greater scope. As said before my dry eyes and cataracts which are not ready to be done at the present time gave me the idea that a replacement for my 9x7 might be to my advantage. I intend to keep my 9x7 should I need something smaller. I think your lighter cover which also acts as a stand is something I would need. Thank you so much for your help.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 11-Sep-23 02:52:48

Armed with all your advice I am going to visit an Apple Store and play about with what is available.

LackofCheese Thu 14-Sep-23 16:18:33

If you want a bigger screen then that would be perfect for you. But you will have to pay premium price.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 16-Sep-23 09:16:38

Hello folks. I went to an Apple shop last Wednesday with my dh. Armed with your kind help I started to look at the iPad Pro 12x9. Guilt about spending that amount of money certainly kicked in. However, encouraged by my dh who said if you can’t have something you would like at 82 then it’s a poor thing and getting a card out well "readers I bought it"😅. I set it up next to my 9x7 and it transferred seamlessly. I ordered a cover from Amazon and a screen saver which came Thursdayplus a pillow-o-pad recommended by Redhead56 on Friday. All I can say is - I am in love and thank you all so much.