Gransnet forums

Technology

Helping themselves to your money

(8 Posts)
GrandmaCornwall Fri 11-Aug-23 15:19:42

Who knew that self service petrol pumps take £100 from your card before you fill up with fuel and then when you have your fuel and paid for it they take that money too and return the original £100 three to five days later. This happens at Sainsburys I can’t say it happens elsewhere for sure.
Apparently this has been going on for a short while. No where have we seen this explained or are we given the choice. If you go into to cashier this does not happen.
We only found out when the petrol pump did not give out a receipt and asked at the desk for a receipt which they refused and said go back to the nearest pump and press receipt ( all pumps were in use at the time.

Have I been living under a brick ? Did everyone else know about this just not me?

tanith Fri 11-Aug-23 15:34:46

I was aware of this but I usually pay at the counter so you could do that if you object. As I understand it the money is only 'reserved' for the duration of your filling your tank they don't actually 'take' your money only the amount due for the fuel.

Lollin Fri 11-Aug-23 15:40:10

That is what I have experienced tanith . I wonder if there has been a problem with the system grandmacornwall I’d definitely complain, and not use again til recompensed for that as it outrageous and must surely lose costumers if that is how they are going to operate.

Caravansera Fri 11-Aug-23 16:29:54

This is not a new system. It has been operational for two years in many locations but it may well be that the roll out has been slower in places.

In theory, the £100 isn't taken from your account i.e. paid to whoever owns/runs the petrol station, but it does lower the amount of funds available on your account. For people who don't have much more than that in available funds, it would cause problems paying other bills before the credit is received.

More information from MoneySavingsExpert here:

www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/07/changes-to-pay-at-pump-up-to-p100-withheld-from-customers-accoun/

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Aug-23 16:46:27

It’s been happening for years in France, €99. Doesn’t happen in my local garage, Esso I think.

Dinahmo Fri 11-Aug-23 16:50:52

It's been happening for years. If you make an hotel booking using a credit card, the total payment will be reserved until such time as the payment is actually taken.

GrandmaCornwall Fri 11-Aug-23 18:06:22

My point would be the option of skipping the £100 reserve option should be made clear at the pump not just take it without the buyer knowing . We only found out when the pay at the pump ran out of paper receipts and checked on our bank account to see how much had been taken and the £100 plus £40 fuel showed up on screen.

What ever next?🥴

liamsunsunnix Thu 14-Sep-23 11:37:45

Wow I wasn't aware of this at all, but I always pay at the counter, thank God. I don't see how it is OK, just "reserve" a sum and continue to hold on to it even after the person's paid for the fuel?! That can't be right...