Gransnet forums

Technology

British Gas and smart meters

(17 Posts)
Liz46 Thu 27-Jul-23 12:41:26

We have a smart meter so were a bit surprised to be asked for meter readings. The gas meter does not seem to be working even after the button was pressed.
We went onto the website, booked into our account and over an hour later have given up. It has to be the worst website in the world. We have been unable to report it and have just gone round in circles.

MerylStreep Thu 27-Jul-23 12:44:58

Maybe they’re too busy counting their profits 😡

www.lbc.co.uk/news/british-gas-profits-soar-by-900-percent/

MayBee70 Thu 27-Jul-23 12:46:58

My energy company keep telling me that I must have a Smart Meter installed but I’ve heard so many horror stories about them that I’m still putting it off.

Blossoming Thu 27-Jul-23 12:53:01

Same here MayBee70

HeavenLeigh Thu 27-Jul-23 13:30:31

I’ve been contacted to have one but putting it off

Salti Thu 27-Jul-23 13:31:18

Snap!

Greyduster Thu 27-Jul-23 13:31:40

A lot of energy companies will only offer you the best tariff if you have a smart meter. They are a pain and so are the in house monitors. My IHM is only sending gas readings at the moment so, in order to stop them estimating my electricity bill, I am going to be sending them readings until they come and sort it out next month.

rosie1959 Thu 27-Jul-23 14:15:53

I have had a British Gas smart meter for years with no problems, They have been a bit of a pain lately as they issued us a new account number which was supposed to make everything better. It hasn’t been the case for the last few months but I have just logged into my account and it has asked me to review how often my meter takes a reading hopefully this will eventually sort it all out.
I haven’t any horror stories about the meter itself and is quite handy to see how your day’s energy use is progressing be it good or bad.

Marydoll Thu 27-Jul-23 14:22:41

We have had nothing but problems with a British Gas smart meter. According to the meter, we have been using hundreds of pounds worth of gas per day.
It has now been replaced with an old fashioned reconditioned one.
British Gas at last admitted defeat after months of wrangling.

eazybee Thu 27-Jul-23 17:07:21

They were made in China. Nuff said.

Marydoll Thu 03-Aug-23 08:19:20

We have just received a bill for £5000 for the period we had the faulty meter. Apiarently we were using 28 units per day, as opposed to our usual 1 to 1/2 units.

We are now wrangling with Scottish Gas and have threatened them with the ombudsman!

Patsy70 Thu 03-Aug-23 08:51:33

The department dealing with technology at BG is abysmal. They were unable to update my online account when my email address changed, so I’ve reverted to providing weekly meter readings by phone to avoid estimated readings.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 16-Dec-23 11:51:03

We had a smart meter years ago. It sent readings to BG and informed you whether what you were using was high medium or low. Nothing else so as I knew an oven, iron etc was high I didn’t bother with the monitor. Then we started to receive letters asking us to read the meters as the old smart meter wasn’t working any more. The they started to send a company to read the meters. Recently another company employed by BG have contacted us to ask us if we want our meter “mended”. So after all this time I thought we would get an up to date new generation one. Having read lately of trouble caused by the old meters being updated I am now going to refuse to have it “mended”. My friend has a smart meter and has the monitor on display so she knows how much energy she has used. Might be useful but I am as careful as I can be and prefer not to have the cost facing me as I struggle to keep warm.

biglouis Sat 16-Dec-23 11:56:54

I will not have a so called smart meter for love or money because of the way they can be turned into prepayment meters at the flick of a switch. I trust the power companies as much as I trust the liars and thieves in whitehall.

Calendargirl Sat 16-Dec-23 13:02:58

My energy company (not BG) keeps on at me to have a SM. I just keep saying ‘no’.

The chap on the phone the other day said “It saves you money”. “No it doesn’t” I replied, and ended the call politely.

I wish I had asked him how it would save me money. It would probably make me aware of how much my energy use costs me, granted, but that is all. Reading the meter monthly and e mailing them in takes minutes, so no problem there.

I hope I am not forced to have one eventually.

pascal30 Sat 16-Dec-23 13:10:14

I also refuse to have a smart meter.. but am getting constant pressure from EON..

Lomo123 Sat 16-Dec-23 13:49:07

Yeah same here. Daily emails encouraging me to book to have one fitted. No thanks!