Gransnet forums

Technology

Any ideas, this one has me stumped!

(8 Posts)
Lexisgranny Wed 23-Nov-22 00:02:31

Is anyone using an iPad for OneNote and One Drive? I have been using it for some time now, assuming that all along, my entries would ultimately be saved automatically on the Cloud. I had verified this by checking iCloud through Settings, and sure enough relevant toggle buttons were set in the right place.

For some reason there was a niggle in my mind that something might be wrong, so I went into my iCloud account, and sure enough it had only saved a few odd pages together with some internet pages I may or may not have looked at months ago - they didn’t look familiar.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? Have searched the net, and nothing is coming up that really fits the bill. I can usually sort out any basic technical problems that arise. I use OneNote all the time as an aide memoire which seems a necessity nowadays. I have RA and just use an iPad with a stylus as I find
it more comfortable. I would really appreciate any ideas.

crazyH Wed 23-Nov-22 00:07:59

Sorry Lexisgranny - I’ve heard of all those terms you’ve used but have no idea what they are. I hope a clever IT Gran will come along and give you some help

grannydarkhair Wed 23-Nov-22 00:45:55

I know you’ve probably thought of it yourself, but if no one on here is able to help you, you could try asking in an Apple shop if there’s one near you.

Humbertbear Wed 23-Nov-22 08:37:50

I’m sorry I can’t help - I think an online chat with Apple might be a good start. I do know I lost several years’ worth of diary in One Note because I thought it was backing up and it hadn’t. Good luck.

Lexisgranny Wed 23-Nov-22 11:20:04

Thank you all for your replies. I’m afraid the nearest Apple shop is about 60 miles away. I have asked Apple on line, but as yet no reply.

Crazy H, apart from this blip, OneNote has been until now, the best Note book I have ever used. When I started using it, I found that guides were mainly aimed at laptops rather than iPads, so I tried to work it out myself - probably my first mistake. I think of it (possibly incorrectly!) as a filing cabinet which has files in it for an infinite number of topics, and then sheets of paper for all your notes. OneDrive is a separate Ap and is the place that backs it all up and transfers it to the Cloud for retrieval.

Footnote to this, I have dusted down a ten year old laptop which I never use, but keep for emergencies. I have saved One Note and OneDrive on to it and also copied it onto an elderly hard drive. All this for information which is of no interest to anyone but me, and would certainly be of no use to anyone but me. My family think I’ve lost the plot, but I regard it as an antidote to wall to wall football!

Missedout Thu 24-Nov-22 00:09:21

I have only little experience with OneNote on my iPad but I've just produced a OneNote file on my iPad and saved it in the OneDrive (Microsoft) Cloud. I couldn't save it to iCloud although I could email the document and I could produce a link to download it from OneDrive, on to my iPad.

When you open OneNote on your iPad, open the settings (on my iPad there are 3 symbols on the top right of the page, Settings (Cog wheel) is the middle one). The top of the settings page says 'Account'. Click on this, it should show your email address and 'Account details'. Select account details and check that you have an active OneDrive account. If you haven't, you will need to add your OneDrive user ID (your email) and password. Once you have signed into OneDrive, any notes you create in OneNote are automatically saved as you produce them.

You need to ensure that you are signed in to OneDrive to save Microsoft OneNote files. You can use any device to see your OneNote files providing you log into OneDrive using your ID and password.

Microsoft and Apple are rivals, they aren't going to make it easy for you to switch between their applications.

NotSpaghetti Thu 24-Nov-22 00:22:25

I have had phone help from Apple.
I suggest you call them.

Missedout Thu 24-Nov-22 12:28:45

Following on from my last post, have you downloaded the OneDrive application to your iPad from the Apple App store? This will help.