Gransnet forums

Technology

Upgrading my iPhone and stressed

(24 Posts)
Sparklefizz Wed 16-Nov-22 10:43:36

I am pretty much a technophobe and have had some challenging experiences with technology which have left me "scarred" and nervous.

I have an iPhone 5S which Vodafone say needs upgrading because it's only 3G. I'm changing to an iPhone SE (2022) with a new price plan which will presumably mean a new SIM.

1) Will I automatically be keeping the same number? I forgot to ask the Vodafone guy yesterday.
2) A friend says you just put the phones side by side and "magically" your info is all transferred. Is this just nonsense?
3) What about my contacts - will they be transferred?
4) I don't use the Cloud - do I need to save everything on my old 5S to the Cloud first, and if so, how?

Thank you to any techie whizz-grans who can help me. My grandchildren are not close by, otherwise I would do the usual thing and ask a teenager smile

Oldbat1 Wed 16-Nov-22 10:54:04

I have an SE but not this years model but I bought it through Gxxf gxxf - it was a reconditioned sim only. I bought it this year. Took old sim out of old phone and placed in new and all my “stuff” was magically transferred. I kept same number and stayed with same £10 month provider. We don’t get 4 where we live. Beware of sales pitch. Check out Martin Lewis site for useful info. Good luck. I hate change.

midgey Wed 16-Nov-22 10:54:28

Can’t help at all, but good luck! Your brain will be blown by your new phone. 🙂

ElaineI Wed 16-Nov-22 11:00:26

The sim should fit your new phone and update the info. Your phone number shouldn't change. If you are really nervous take both to a Vodafone shop and one of the staff will do it for you. Or an Apple Store if there is one near you.

Sparklefizz Wed 16-Nov-22 11:01:09

I hate change too oldbat and my brain is already "blown" midgey and has been for years, assuming you mean struggles to take in and retain new info sad

Greyduster Wed 16-Nov-22 11:26:27

When I got my new iPhone XR a year ago (under duress - I was quite happy with the 6S I had but DH got fed up of me complaining about the camera!) the man in the shop just paired it with my existing phone and all the data was transferred. Ditto my new iPad. All there. Nothing missing. Enjoy your new phone!

Greyduster Wed 16-Nov-22 11:27:33

Forgot to say - kept same number.

Georgesgran Wed 16-Nov-22 11:35:52

Like you, I was totally lost when I upgraded from my beloved Nokia 3310 to an i-phone and no help from (then) Orange, due to data protection, although I kept my number as I was staying with the same provider. Thankfully, my DD eventually took pity on me, as she could see I was struggling and I seem to remember a good deal of time spent on the computer installing or transferring ‘stuff’. Fast forward several years and my first iPhone became obsolete and wouldn’t accept track and trace, or link my phonebook to my car and I was forced to consider an upgrade. Staying with EE, the chap in the shop couldn’t have been more helpful and once I unlocked my phone for him, he transferred everything to my new phone for me.

Grannynannywanny Wed 16-Nov-22 11:57:56

Sparklefizz I upgraded my 4 yr old SE to SE 2020 a year ago and I’m very happy with it. I was feeling a little anxious about the changeover but a very helpful young man in the o2 shop did it for me. Everything was transferred over no problem. I would ask in the shop, they’re usually happy to help.

You’ll find a big difference in the camera. Photos are high quality.

Sparklefizz Wed 16-Nov-22 12:05:36

Thanks everyone.

SueDonim Wed 16-Nov-22 13:29:42

Do go into the shop, if you’re uncertain. I upgraded to an iPhone 11 (I think!) this year, which I bought outright from Curry’s. My plan is with O2 so I took the new phone into the O2 shop, where they set it all up for me and then transferred my old iPhone SE to my husband’s number and so he has an iPhone as well now. It was all seamless. smile

Sparklefizz Wed 16-Nov-22 14:02:40

SueDonim Thanks. I think I'll do that. My plan is with Vodafone so I'll take both phones into their shop.

I have been perfectly happy with my old iPhone 5S but it's 3G and Vodafone will no longer be supporting that, otherwise I wouldn't have changed.

SueDonim Wed 16-Nov-22 14:07:38

They made me laugh in the shop, Sparkle. I thanked them for doing the task and said I was impressed by their knowledge. They said to me, ‘oh no problem - if we get something very difficult we go next door to the man who runs an independent mobile phone and repairs business. He really does know everything about technology.’. grin

Sparklefizz Wed 16-Nov-22 17:39:59

SueDonim Love it!

Mamie Wed 16-Nov-22 17:45:00

I had an SE2020 which I passed on to DH when I upgraded. Very easy to transfer everything directly, though asking the shop to do it would be even easier. You do have to re-enter a lot of app passwords. Our electric car app is refusing to work until we go through the lengthy process of pairing with the car again. Probably not the case in the UK but my French Covid app threw all the vaccination certificates away. 😱

MayBee70 Wed 16-Nov-22 20:30:13

I upgraded my ancient Nokia to a smart phone and, apart from making calls on it I haven’t got the faintest idea how to use it. Even turning it off is a challenge. I’m joining a U3A group that helps with stuff like that as my kids just find it amusing!

MissAdventure Wed 16-Nov-22 20:41:21

Just reading the thread title gives me the heebie jeebies.

I live in fear of upgrades.

Sparklefizz Fri 18-Nov-22 16:59:46

My new iPhone SE 2022 arrived today and I have managed to set it up by myself !! Yay! I never thought I could do it as I'm such a technophobe (maybe slightly less of one than I thought! smile ) Fingers x'd it's all ok.

MissAdventure Fri 18-Nov-22 17:06:23

smile
Excellent! Well done you.
Setting it up will probably help with remembering some of the functions, now.

Grannynannywanny Fri 18-Nov-22 17:14:01

Well done Sparklefizz. I hope you enjoy your new phone.

SueDonim Fri 18-Nov-22 17:17:18

Excellent! It’s amazing how something like that can give your self-esteem a boost. 👏 👏

Sparklefizz Fri 18-Nov-22 17:19:10

I'm thrilled with the phone itself ... but also thrilled with myself as my daughter treats me like a half wit regarding technology, and I now think maybe I'm not so bad after all. wink

ElaineI Fri 18-Nov-22 22:44:17

Brilliant Sparklefizz 🥰

Lovetopaint037 Fri 30-Dec-22 10:24:33

No problem. It works like magic. Take your phone to Apple or your phone provider. Your SIM card should be fine but if not there is no problem as you just ask for a new one with the same number. It is always advised to back up your existing phone which you can do in settings. So go to settings ( that thing that looks like a cog or wheel). Then touch your name, then look down the list to iCloud. Tap this and then onto back up now. You will probably need to plug into charger.