Gransnet forums

Technology

Disappearing messages messenger

(15 Posts)
Thewindcriesmary Fri 19-Aug-22 20:16:35

I’ve been looking and trying to find the reasons people use these. The first time I heard of them a message popped up saying such a body was using them in messages. I wouldn’t message this person myself and I’m slightly wary of them. It felt a bit creepy to get this out of the blue and when I asked someone else they said it sounded as if they might have turned on disappearing messages so they could send me an unpleasant message and I’d read it but then the evidence would disappear. I have put them on restricted now so I don’t see if they message me so problem solved but I would still like to know the various reasons people would use disappearing messages if anyone can help please?

Blossoming Fri 19-Aug-22 20:53:09

Sorry, never heard of this.

Shinamae Fri 19-Aug-22 20:55:18

And neither have I…

Jamie Fri 19-Aug-22 21:05:55

Just heard of this today while watching 'Judge Judy.' Apparently if someone sends you nasty messages you can't prove it as they disappear. So you can't print them out either as evidence for anything.

tanith Fri 19-Aug-22 21:11:51

It is possible you apparently turn it on and off in your settings I suppose people may have their reasons.

Thewindcriesmary Fri 19-Aug-22 21:44:49

You can turn it off but then they can turn it straight back on

ElaineI Fri 19-Aug-22 22:33:15

I always take screenshots of things I need. Then they don't disappear.

Thewindcriesmary Fri 19-Aug-22 22:43:25

The messages can disappear within a minute or two I think so you would have to be quick and there’s some alert to the sender if you screen shot the messages. I just wouldn’t read a message that was on disappearing mode.

Chestnut Sat 20-Aug-22 00:12:19

I've never heard of this and don't think I've had one. I probably wouldn't recognise it if I did. I'll have to ask my daughters about it, they are more savvy on phones than I am. I'm red hot on the computer but for some reason can't relate to mobile phones apart from calls, texts and WhatsApp. I can just about find a web page but much prefer the computer.

BlueBelle Sat 20-Aug-22 03:29:15

Never ever come across this or heard of it
Are you talking about private messages on here or emails or phone messages ?

Thewindcriesmary Sat 20-Aug-22 07:33:53

Messages on Facebook messenger - but I use it without being on Facebook messenger. You can’t miss it if someone is using disappearing messages because you get a notification that such a person is going to be using disappearing messages if they message you. When I received it it was quite creepy and I wondered what the intentions were of the other person.

Doodledog Sat 20-Aug-22 07:42:12

Could it be that the user doesn’t want a record of their messages to be stored? Rightly or wrongly, many people have a fixation on FB being insecure, so it might just be that.

I haven’t come across it, but why not ask the person who is using it why they are doing it? It might just be that they’ve accidentally set it to do it, and not noticed?

NotSpaghetti Sat 20-Aug-22 08:00:59

About six months ago my youngest daughter had an extreme "bad hair day" - well, not just the hair! She took a photo to share with close family. She sent a funny comment with it and stressed this was for family and very close friends' consumption only.
She was with her closest friend in the photo and they were clearly laughing their socks off.

She warned us that this was not going to do the rounds of her sister's friends and her own work mates.

I was so surprised that it was here and then gone, I didn't really get a proper look!

It wasn't on Facebook I don't think as I don't use it more than maybe once a year if I'm looking for something particular.

Chestnut Sat 20-Aug-22 09:25:34

I didn't realise it was Facebook. Should have said that in the OP. I don't have anything to do with it so not my problem!

Missedout Sat 20-Aug-22 14:59:05

Has anybody thought about asking Mr Google?

www.howtogeek.com/760359/how-to-send-disappearing-messages-in-facebook-messenger/