Gransnet forums

Technology

Choosing a new smart TV

(37 Posts)
DorisD Wed 02-Mar-22 17:42:53

We are looking to buy a new smart TV and have looked at various makes. There seems to be little difference between them. What make have you got and are you happy with it? I need to make my mind up!

HowVeryDareYou Sun 13-Nov-22 09:10:26

We've just bought a 50inch Sharp smart tv. We had an LG plasma one before, which apparently uses 395 watts, as opposed to this new tv which uses 95.

crazyH Sat 12-Nov-22 16:43:01

LG here - no problems at all

Norah Sat 12-Nov-22 13:44:26

We have a Sony.

Either the TV or the people living here are un-smart.

We typically listen (rather than watch) telly news, picture doesn't matter to us, but it seems good when I catch a look.

MerylStreep Sat 12-Nov-22 13:32:23

I think Doris might have bought her tv by now. She poster in March.

Charleygirl5 Sat 12-Nov-22 13:22:13

I have an LG but it is beyond me. It keeps wanting to be updated and when it decided I could survive with 2 channels +Freeview I had to get some help. When it is working I love it and the picture for me is perfect but I almost need a techie fellow living here with me.

The handset is not easy, just squiggles which are meaningless to the likes of me.

25Avalon Sat 12-Nov-22 12:38:01

We have a Ferguson. They are actually made in the UK.

karmalady Sat 12-Nov-22 12:29:56

I gave my very reliable samsung to dd and bought myself a sony. I would never get another sony, it is fine to look at but constantly turns itself on. I have to switch it off at the wall every time I leave the room.

I would buy another samsung if I ever had the chance

Doodledog Wed 26-Oct-22 19:19:33

We’ve had an LG for ages now - at least ten years - and it has been excellent. They seem to have recently dropped the ITV hub, which is annoying, but we can get it on the fire stick. A friend has a Sony, and it dropped so many apps that it’s barely smart.

I would get another LG happily, but would always have a stick (Amazon, NOW or Roku) as it seems that they can all stop supporting the catch-up apps apparently on a whim. I think that is quite shoddy, as most people will take the apps into account when choosing a model.

FannyCornforth Wed 26-Oct-22 15:08:50

Reported 14.58

Soozikinzi Wed 26-Oct-22 15:07:38

Our Hitachi is brilliant but I wouldn't recommend Bush the picture isn't as sharp.

JGreenwood Wed 26-Oct-22 14:58:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Daisymae Fri 16-Sep-22 13:54:04

BlueBelle

My children surprised me with a JVC smart TV last birthday
I m not that happy with it it’s given me trouble twice and seems quite temperamental with Netflix which buffers a lot and comes and goes to the extent that I don’t bother watching Netflix on it (the whole point of buying it for me)
Perhaps it’s me

Maybe it's your internet connection?

BlueBelle Fri 16-Sep-22 13:36:15

My old unsmart FV seemed smarter than my new smart tv

BlueBelle Fri 16-Sep-22 13:35:37

My children surprised me with a JVC smart TV last birthday
I m not that happy with it it’s given me trouble twice and seems quite temperamental with Netflix which buffers a lot and comes and goes to the extent that I don’t bother watching Netflix on it (the whole point of buying it for me)
Perhaps it’s me

MiniMoon Fri 16-Sep-22 13:24:38

This thread is 6 months old. I'm sure DorisD must have a new television by now.

Buttonjugs Fri 16-Sep-22 13:16:29

My Samsung isn’t a smart tv but it’s now around 15 years old and still going strong! I will definitely be buying Samsung when it needs replacing. And yes it is a flat screen tv.

Pantglas2 Fri 16-Sep-22 13:13:36

We purchased a Samsung smart tv last year for mi Casa here in Spain and it’s been brilliant. The one at home in Wales is an Aldi special from 8years ago and that’s also been brilliant - cheap doesn’t always mean rubbish!

JaneJudge Fri 16-Sep-22 12:01:46

The JVC fire stick tv is very good value for money. You have to have an amazon account though I think?

jamie107x Fri 16-Sep-22 11:57:32

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Jaxjacky Wed 02-Mar-22 22:04:35

We have a Sony, a couple of years old, plug in and play, excellent.

cornergran Wed 02-Mar-22 21:58:45

We have had our first smart tv, a Sony, for three weeks now. At first I thought we’d never get the hang of it, now we’re confident. Excellent sound quality and a clear picture. I’ve phoned the Sony helpline half a dozen times. Patient, understanding and knowledgeable staff have talked me through everything we’ve been stuck with. Can’t recommend them enough. No issues with apps or catchup. Long may it last!

tanith Wed 02-Mar-22 21:22:36

Ì have a Samsung and I'm very happy with it. Love the smart remote its so handy.

Elusivebutterfly Wed 02-Mar-22 20:27:28

I have a Samsung which I am happy with. I considered an LG but reviews said it was harder to set up and had no printed instructions so picked the Samsung. I didn't want an unknown brand or a very expensive TV, so this was a good compromise.

Purpledaffodil Wed 02-Mar-22 20:05:07

We bought an LG last year on advice of techie son. Amazing picture and an upgrade from 10 year old Sony. Cannot comment yet on reliability.

Shandy57 Wed 02-Mar-22 20:04:13

My late husband liked Panasonic so I bought that make. I can hardly believe we used to spend all that money on Sky when so much is available on a smart tv.