Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Superdrug - make up recycling

(22 Posts)
PinkCosmos Tue 02-Jan-24 15:25:00

I was in my local Superdrug the other day and saw that they had a recycling box for unwanted or out of date make up. It is provided by Maybelline but you can put any brand in.

I have loads of old makeup and was thinking about getting rid of most of it as I rarely wear makeup these days.

I think this is a great service and saves more stuff going into landfill.

I have lots of jars of moisturisers that I have bought and used once as they have not suited me. I am not sure whether you can also recycle these. It says you can recycle foundation bottles so I image it would be OK.

It is only in specific stores so you would have to check online to see if your local store is taking part.

www.superdrug.com/blog/new-and-trending/recycle-beauty-empties

You can also recycle blister packs, batteries and old electrical products (if you are buying a new one)

Litterpicker Tue 02-Jan-24 16:37:05

Boots do recycling of old make-up and toothpaste containers too. Again, probably only bigger stores.

My local Superdrug’s had a notice up over their blister packs box saying ‘full’. I’m afraid I left my little bag of them on top. They probably binned them 😕

Gillycats Tue 02-Jan-24 17:42:38

Isn’t it only Superdrug stores with a pharmacy that accept blister packs? I hate sending them to landfill especially since the pharmaceuticals make massive profits. You would think they would invest in ways for people to recycle them.

SueDonim Tue 02-Jan-24 17:59:29

Our Tesco also takes used make up. I’ve no idea what happens to it!

We’ve got a new recycling scheme in this area and we can now put things like blister tablet packs, soft plastic wrappings, cling film and so on into the bin. It’s made such a difference to the amount that goes into what I call the ‘rubbish’ rubbish bin.

Joseann Tue 02-Jan-24 18:08:31

Our church has recycling boxes for blister tablet packs. I assume someone eventually ships them off to Superdrug somewhere when full.

NotAGran55 Tue 02-Jan-24 20:02:49

John Lewis will give you £5 off any beauty product for 5 beauty empties.

honeyrose Tue 02-Jan-24 20:13:13

I wonder how old makeup can be recycled when the containers may well be half full of mascara, lipstick, foundation etc? I think that my local Sainsburys are also recycling disused/old makeup.

PinkCosmos Wed 03-Jan-24 09:10:26

Isn’t it only Superdrug stores with a pharmacy that accept blister packs?

I'm not sure about this. You could check on the link in the OP.

Thanks for the info about other stores doing similar recycling. I will check out my local Tesco as it is nearer than Superdrug for me.

Keeper1 Fri 05-Jan-24 11:23:19

Reading up on the net about it, it seems they are expecting empty make containers

OldHag Fri 05-Jan-24 12:03:42

'PinkCosmos' rather than getting rid of pots of moisturiser that don't suit your face, why not use them up on your body? I've been doing this for years now, if I buy a moisturiser that irritates my face which is extremely sensitive, for the most part it's fine on my legs and the rest of my body, and using it this way, saves me having cupboards full of slightly used products, which would just end up being thrown away otherwise.

Daisydaisydaisy Fri 05-Jan-24 14:30:38

Oooo This sounds interesting ,will have a look 🙂
Thank You

Chestnut Fri 05-Jan-24 14:47:40

A sensible post OldHag. I'm not sure why anyone would hang onto a nearly full pot of face cream when it can be used on the body or given to a friend. Seems pretty obvious to me.

I also can't imagine recycling half full pots of anything. I would empty the contents and clean the container, whether cream, powder or whatever. You surely don't hand over the actual make-up itself, just clean it out, whether eye shadow, lipstick, cream or powder. The only things you can't clean are in tubes, and also mascara. I'm not sure what they do with those, but everything else should be clean, surely?

DellaandtgeDealer Fri 05-Jan-24 15:06:04

You have to spend £20 though.

DellaandtgeDealer Fri 05-Jan-24 15:09:09

I meant to say you have to spend £20 in John Lewis to get £5 off when you take in your recyclables

Padine Fri 05-Jan-24 17:06:50

A lot of local charity shops accept nearly new/ hardly used makeup up items (not mascara or lipsticks due to hygiene reasons) and forward these onto women’s refuge centres, female prisons etc. Best to check first.
There is”Toiletries Amnesty” centres in some towns and cities (just google it). They accept unfinished moisturisers, serums, body lotions, perfumes and other products.
Years ago I read of a place to send unwanted/unused toiletries to, but this could be very expensive now.

PestyOne Fri 05-Jan-24 19:34:07

www.toiletriesamnesty.org/directory/

Link above for Toiletries Amnesty where you can take /send both used & unused make-up, toiletries, hygiene products, etc.

Use the search tool on the website to locate an organisation in your area collecting & accepting much needed products for their clients & service users.

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Jan-24 19:45:43

The Superdrug scheme is for pretty clean empties according to the link.

Padine Sat 06-Jan-24 11:30:06

Thanks PetsyOne!

Abcdefg Fri 02-Feb-24 15:32:24

You can also recycle empty medicines blister packs at Superdrugs that have a pharmacy

toscalily Fri 02-Feb-24 18:22:27

I can confirm that it is only Superdrug with a Pharmacy that take blister packs as I asked when in the store yesterday. I took mine instead to a shop in my local small town.

Susiewong65 Fri 02-Feb-24 18:59:34

Apparently Boots give you clubcard points when you recycle with them.

Elegran Fri 02-Feb-24 19:58:43

Aldi were sponsoring a blister recycling scheme, but have paused it "This programme is paused for the time being while we work with TerraCycle to assess the performance of the trial. Keep your eyes peeled for future developments." www.aldi.co.uk/corporate/corporate-responsibility/greener/recycle
I wish they would restart. I had several people co-operating with collecting their blister packs for Terracycle's scheme, but they will lose interest if it doesn't get going again soon.