Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Old make-up

(8 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 01-Dec-22 19:08:15

I've never been one for replacing make-up. I use the same bits and they last for years.

No more. I used some foundation I'd had for a while a week ago. Got a skin infection, that I thought was just a spot. Within days it had developed into a huge infection that needed urgent minor surgery.

Accessing the treatment was a nightmare due to NHS cuts, which made the infection worse, because it went untreated for too long

Anyway. Don't use old make-up. My GP was actually worried about how fast the infection was spreading.

sodapop Thu 01-Dec-22 19:15:16

Yes I read about this some time ago and ditched all my old make up.
Hope your infection is clearing OK GagaJo

SueDonim Thu 01-Dec-22 19:19:07

Most make up has a use-by date on it somewhere, once it’s been opened. I hope you feel better soon, it sounds horrible. flowers

Chardy Thu 01-Dec-22 19:41:58

Mascara and eye liner once opened for more than a couple of months are deemed 'old', and can lead to eye infections.

Redhead56 Thu 01-Dec-22 20:21:59

At our local Tesco there is a stand for dropping off any old cosmetics.
I didn't have time to look at the detail properly. I will next visit because I am interested to find out what they do with it.

Ailsa43 Thu 01-Dec-22 20:29:37

From the Maybeline website who are responsible with Terracycle for the recycle make-up Bin in stores like Tesco..

Step 1: Find your nearest recycling station on our interactive map here. We're currently rolling out to over 1000 stores nationwide, across Superdrug, Sainbury's and Tesco (and we're hoping to expand even more in 2021!) Bins in Superdrug should be available from 09/09 and in Sainsbury's from 14/09.

Step 2: Drop off those past-it palettes, long-lost liners and finished foundations to one of our recycling stations.

Step 3: Once our recycling stations are full, our recycling partner 'TerraCycle' will come and collect the waste from store to be cleaned and recycled! Find out more about the recycling process on their website.

WHAT MAKE-UP EMPTIES ARE YOU ABLE TO RECYCLE IN THIS SCHEME?
We accept all brands! Not just Maybelline. There are however some products we can't accept:

YES PLEASE to all of the below:

Compacts & palettes, such as eyeshadows, powders & blushers
Mascaras including the plastic tube and wand & liners such as retractable plastic liners or liquid eye liners
Lip products such as plastic lip gloss tubes or bullet lipstick tubes
Plastic tubes & bottles such as foundation or concealer tubes
Other makeup packaging such as caps, pumps or trigger sprays

NO THANKS to a few items below:

Makeup brushes & nail polish.Unfortunately we cant accept these at this time.

REGULAR RECYCLING is bestfor these:

Glass bottles & cardboard packaging.These can already be recycled by most local council recycling systems.
Aerosols. Unfortunately we can't accept these but the good news is that in most parts of the UK, aerosol recycling is possible.

see more here.. www.maybelline.co.uk/recyclingfaqs

welbeck Thu 01-Dec-22 20:30:44

if you can bear to re-live it OP, i'd be interested to hear more.
after having seen some rapidly developing severe soft tissue infections close up,
i am a lot more aware of the possible medical emergency than i would have been before.
thanks for the reminder.

Visgir1 Thu 01-Dec-22 20:59:33

Also remember to wash your make up brushes.
I bin my mascara about every 3 months as well.