Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Dentistry Abroad

(14 Posts)
Daisydaisydaisy Mon 14-Mar-22 09:02:45

Morning all
I'm in the U.k and thinking of travelling abroad to have My teeth done...Has anyone done one of these combined holidays .. was it cost effective?

Thank you

Framilode Mon 14-Mar-22 11:49:11

I always have anything done that needs doing when we are in Spain. We usually go twice a year for a few weeks. We find it far less expensive than here. Our dentist is South African so no language barrier.

nanna8 Mon 14-Mar-22 11:59:54

Well don’t ever think of having anything done in Australia, it costs an absolute fortune even just for a clean and polish.

Charleygirl5 Mon 14-Mar-22 12:04:43

In the days when I was working a colleague had mega work done. I cannot remember where- somewhere like Bulgaria. She was lucky, it worked out well but please be careful, if it does not work out, rarely will anybody on the NHS touch you with a barge pole.

kjmpde Mon 14-Mar-22 12:11:04

Dr's do not touch teeth. NHS dentistry is rare in the South West so private is the only option. My dentist is from Romania and she is excellent. I would have no problem with going abroad for dental treatment. Some years ago there were floating ships just for dental treatment, not sure now post covid

MissAdventure Mon 14-Mar-22 12:11:21

I know someone who had dental implants done in Turkey.
The problem was that if anything needed readjusting, or when things went wrong, she had to go back to Turkey to get them seen to.

sodapop Mon 14-Mar-22 12:14:50

That's a definite downside MissA could be expensive if there were problems.

MissAdventure Mon 14-Mar-22 12:19:07

Yes, she couldn't afford private costs here, so the next 5 years of her life were devoted to trips to Turkey.

CashiWaku Thu 24-Nov-22 12:12:12

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Alioop Thu 24-Nov-22 12:39:48

A girl I know went to Turkey too, she said she saved a fortune, they are really, really white. She had to go out to see the dentist and then return again later in the year. She has to go back to him if there's any problems, lucky she likes to holiday there.
My dentist took early retirement before Covid and I've actually only found a new dentist now and I'll have to travel a bit to see him in January. Every dental surgery I contacted had closed their books as too many patients.

Oldbat1 Thu 24-Nov-22 13:43:17

I would definitely do more research. Quite a bit written about “Turkey Teeth”. Not always positive.

AreWeThereYet Thu 24-Nov-22 13:55:47

Sorry, haven't done it myself. It can be cheaper to go abroad, and you can get some excellent dentistry, but the problem is any ongoing work will (probably) also need to be done there. You may be able to get private dentists to do subsequent work here, but sometimes the materials used are very different to those used in the UK.

I think a lot depends on the state of your teeth to being with, how intensive (and invasive) the work is, your general health and how much money you have to take care of anything that needs correction. Even some private work in the UK can sometimes need correction on subsequent visits.

MerylStreep Thu 24-Nov-22 13:57:32

My friend had hers done in Turkey about 4 years ago. They are beautiful. But this is someone who researches and then researches again.
She doesn’t look like a female Ryland. She chose a very natural white
Her check up after 3 months was done in London.
I lived in Bulgaria for 5 years. Their dentists are amazing but paid a pittance.

AreWeThereYet Thu 24-Nov-22 14:23:07

A Ukrainian friend has amazing teeth - she was always telling me how excellent the dentists are in Ukraine and was trying to talk me into going with her to see her dentist. I was coming around to the idea, even if only to see what they would say. Then a war broke out.